U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:03 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,702,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
I played with that too... if you split them up into 4 divisions you lose some of the traditional rivals that have been playing each other for years. Also there would be several awkward geographic groups from the middle of the country. (like MIL, HOU, COL, MON; or MIN, AUS, KC, TEX)

Plus if you look at the eastern divisions there is a good probability that there will be 3-4 really good teams in any given year. So it makes the playoff pool more equitable.
Well, you take Tampa out of a 4-team AL East and let the remaining fools spend themselves to death!

I'd suggest:
AL East: BAL, BOS, NYY, TOR
AL Central: CHI, CLE, DET, MIN
AL Southwest: COL, HOU, KC, TEX (if anyplace needs a DH, it's Colorado!)
AL Pacific: LAA, OAK, SEA, POR (Portland - new)

NL East: NYM, PHI, PIT, WAS
NL South: ATL, CHR (Charlotte - new, although could be Nashville), MIA, TB
NL Central: CHC, CIN, MIL, STL
NL Pacific: AZ, LAD, SD, SF

So you switch leagues with Colorado and Tampa (moving Tampa to other side of the Bay in doing so), add Portland and Charlotte. You could have option of moving Tampa to San Antonio and keeping them in NL South as well. You give the AL all of the PNW and the NL all of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 AM

203 posts, read 278,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Well, you take Tampa out of a 4-team AL East and let the remaining fools spend themselves to death!

I'd suggest:
AL East: BAL, BOS, NYY, TOR
AL Central: CHI, CLE, DET, MIN
AL Southwest: COL, HOU, KC, TEX (if anyplace needs a DH, it's Colorado!)
AL Pacific: LAA, OAK, SEA, POR (Portland - new)

NL East: NYM, PHI, PIT, WAS
NL South: ATL, CHR (Charlotte - new, although could be Nashville), MIA, TB
NL Central: CHC, CIN, MIL, STL
NL Pacific: AZ, LAD, SD, SF

So you switch leagues with Colorado and Tampa (moving Tampa to other side of the Bay in doing so), add Portland and Charlotte. You could have option of moving Tampa to San Antonio and keeping them in NL South as well. You give the AL all of the PNW and the NL all of Florida.
That actually looks really good ... I keep going back and forth on the virtues of the Division-Winnners-Only system vs the Wildcard system.

My alignment was probably overly emphasizing the symmetry of inter-league play. I was trying to have a good match for every team and therefore allow the regions to share fan bases between an NL and AL team. That probably isnt really that important. Your alignment works nicely in that the rivalries are maintained and the division are well balanced, which also means the wildcards are not needed.

I was also trying to get the Marlins out of Miami since they just wont support a team there. Its sucks the city built that new stadium, but that was their bad call. I think Tampa has a better chance of building a fan base if they build a new stadium in the right location and work on their transit options. Part of me wonders if Portland would have the same problem as Miami. Miami has the Beaches which are free, and Portanders might just stick to hiking, biking, etc rather than attend games. San Antonio or Austin are probably the two safest bets for a relocation. San Antonio has a slightly larger MSA population, but I think the culture and affluence of Austin is more likely to build a large fan base that could include San Antonio folks.

Last edited by jasomm; 11-08-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 AM

48,148 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Except you aren't considering one thing, I was talking about applying the division format used from 1994-onward to 1993. Please remember, the Central Division was added in 1994, in response to the expansion teams of the Colorado Rockies and the Florida Marlins. Those teams started play in 1993. If the Central Division had been used in 1993, the St. Louis Cardinals would have gone to the playoffs and the Philadelphia Phillies would have gone to the playoffs as a wild card team. That is what I meant. I should have been more clear about that.
In addition, I thought about this. In 1977, the Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays were added. I would say the 1981 playoff format could have been used in 1977. And this is what might have happened.

Kansas City Royals vs Texas Rangers
New York Yankees vs Baltimore Orioles

Los Angeles Dodgers vs Cincinnati Reds
Philadelphia Phillies vs Pittsburgh Pirates

Kansas City Royals vs California Angels
New York Yankees vs Boston Red Sox

Los Angeles Dodgers vs Cincinnati Reds
Philadelphia Phillies vs Pittsburgh Pirates

Baltimore Orioles vs Milwaukee Brewers
California Angels vs Kansas City Royals

Cincinnati Reds vs Houston Astros
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Montreal Expos.

Kansas City Royals vs Oakland Athletics
New York Yankees vs Baltimore Orioles

Houston Astros vs Los Angeles Dodgers
Philadelphia Phillies vs Montreal Expos

Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 AM

In order to have a playoff reform, having a division reform would be good. I have wondered back and forth lately about expansion. I'm thinking of what it would be like if MLB expanded to 32 teams. This is what I came up with.

NL East: MONTREAL, New York, Philadelphia, Washington
NL West: Arizona, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco
NL South: Atlanta, Cincinnati, Miami, St. Lous.
NL North: Chicago, Colorado, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh

AL East: Baltimore, Boston, New York, Toronto
AL West: Los Angeles, Oakland, PORTLAND, Seattle.
AL South: Houston, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Texas
AL North: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota

Keep the #1 seed plays #4 seed,etc format.

Now, keep in mind, this is if there were expansion teams for Portland and Montreal.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:18 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,278,422 times
The perfect solution(s):

1) Contract two teams into oblivion.

2) Eliminate the leagues and divisions, so you just have 28 teams all competing together.

3) Every team plays every other team 6x (one 3-game home stand, 1 3-game road trip) during the regular season.

4a) Postseason option #1:
The top two teams play a championship game that is 50 innings long (start play each night with a four-hour window of play, stopping play at the end of the first inning after which the four-hour threshold is reached - resuming play in the same manner the following evening, alternating home-and-away every day, no off days).

or

4b) Postseason option #2:
The 28th team misses the playoff. The teams that finish 27th and 26th play a one-game playoff, the winner advancing to play the team ranked 25th. The winner of that game advances to play the team ranked 24th. And so on until the surviving team meets the team ranked #1. No off days. The team that finishes highest hosts all games (ie, every team except those that finish 27th and 28th host one and only one postseason game).

Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The perfect solution(s):

1) Contract two teams into oblivion.

2) Eliminate the leagues and divisions, so you just have 28 teams all competing together.

3) Every team plays every other team 6x (one 3-game home stand, 1 3-game road trip) during the regular season.

4a) Postseason option #1:
The top two teams play a championship game that is 50 innings long (start play each night with a four-hour window of play, stopping play at the end of the first inning after which the four-hour threshold is reached - resuming play in the same manner the following evening, alternating home-and-away every day, no off days).

or

4b) Postseason option #2:
The 28th team misses the playoff. The teams that finish 27th and 26th play a one-game playoff, the winner advancing to play the team ranked 25th. The winner of that game advances to play the team ranked 24th. And so on until the surviving team meets the team ranked #1. No off days. The team that finishes highest hosts all games (ie, every team except those that finish 27th and 28th host one and only one postseason game).
I won't lie, I don't agree with that. I feel that the teams should stay. Rather that have just one league, how about just have more interleague play. ALL the teams play each other at some point in the season. Get rid of the DH. And the playoff should only be reserved to 4 teams per league.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM

10,308 posts, read 11,225,495 times
The only way to reform the playoffs to make them better than they are now is to eliminate all wild card options. The problem is that Major League Baseball watched what happened in the other sports and concluded that playoffs draw viewers who aren't real fans, and they're not going to give up the money that that brings. The only thing that is going to make sense to them is to increase, not reduce, the number of rounds of playoffs.

I already think there are too many teams and the season goes too late in the year. Go back to two divisions in each league, make them play two double-headers a month, and we'll see a much saner schedule. Plus, we avoid the risk of crowning an inferior team world champion.

Of course, they're not going to listen to me, you, or any other baseball fan.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The only way to reform the playoffs to make them better than they are now is to eliminate all wild card options. The problem is that Major League Baseball watched what happened in the other sports and concluded that playoffs draw viewers who aren't real fans, and they're not going to give up the money that that brings. The only thing that is going to make sense to them is to increase, not reduce, the number of rounds of playoffs.

I already think there are too many teams and the season goes too late in the year. Go back to two divisions in each league, make them play two double-headers a month, and we'll see a much saner schedule. Plus, we avoid the risk of crowning an inferior team world champion.

Of course, they're not going to listen to me, you, or any other baseball fan.
We don't have a have a wild card. However, I do like the idea of doing so. It would have been cool to see this option used around 1977.

However, there is something to consider. The 1987 Minnesota Twins could be considered "an inferior team" considering that they only won 87 games, and yet, they were crowned World Champions that year. And this is when there were only 2 divisions per league used.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,278,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We don't have a have a wild card. However, I do like the idea of doing so. It would have been cool to see this option used around 1977.

However, there is something to consider. The 1987 Minnesota Twins could be considered "an inferior team" considering that they only won 87 games, and yet, they were crowned World Champions that year. And this is when there were only 2 divisions per league used.
They won 85 games.

The New York Yankees went 89-73. And missed the playoffs.
The Milwaukee Brewers went 91-71. And missed the playoffs.
The Toronto Blue Jays went 96-66. And missed the playoffs.

Frankly, the Twins were an inferior team. They were an embarrassing 29-52 on the road. They had two decent starters, but that's all a team needs to win a seven-game series. They got hot, they got home-field advantage in both the ALCS and the WS, and they won it all.

They were legitimate champions, winning under the rules as they were.

It's important to remember that the World Series champion (like the champion of any postseason) is not necessarily the best team that year - they're just the team that wins the postseason tournament. And that's fine.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times
The ONLY reform they should do is let the Wildcard have hosting duties IF they have a better record then the team they play. The 2001 A's would've won any other division in baseball that year by 4+ games I believe except they play in the same division as the team that set the single season wins record. Even with 102 wins that year, it's pretty tough to finish first if the first place team sets a record with 116.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or