Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,739,762 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see the Phillies re-formed so they can get back to the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 AM

462 posts, read 424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
Ideally there would be 2 leagues, with 2 divisions each, and an even (and equal) number of teams in each division. With an equal amount of playoff teams from each division, no wildcards. The fewer teams in the playoffs, the more important the regular season becomes, and traditionally this was the focus (hence so many games).

Fixing this goes hand in hand with scheduling and expansion.
If I were commissioner (for the fun of it) I would try facilitate:

1) Oakland figure out a new ballpark (either Oakland, San Jose, or Sacramento. doesn't matter which)
2) Move the Marlins to Portland
3) Move the Rays to Austin
4) New AL franchise in Charlotte (called the 'Carolina' somethings)
5) New NL franchise in Monterrey, Mexico
6) Houston and Arizona swap leagues

7) Realign
AL East = NYY, BOS, BAL, CAR, CLE, DET, CHW, TOR
NL East = NYM, PHI, WAS, ATL, CIN, PIT, CHC, STL

AL West = MIN, AUS, TEX, ARI, LAA, OAK, SEA, KC
NL West = MIL, COL, HOU, SD, LAD, SF, POR, MON

^^ All the teams line up with their interleague rival except those in Bold which cross the east/west divisions. So Mon-TOR and STL-KC are interleague rivals.

8) play divisional opponents 12 times each, league opponents 6 games each, and five interleague teams 6 games each. Interleague teams matchups rotate each year except the rivals.

9) The 4 division winners and 4 wildcards (2 from each league) get into the playoffs.
So, they're going to be three teams in Texas and none in Florida? And why Portland? And how do you account for the fact Miami just built a stadium for the Marlins?

Old 12-21-2013, 04:33 PM

72,824 posts, read 62,174,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
They won 85 games.

The New York Yankees went 89-73. And missed the playoffs.
The Milwaukee Brewers went 91-71. And missed the playoffs.
The Toronto Blue Jays went 96-66. And missed the playoffs.

Frankly, the Twins were an inferior team. They were an embarrassing 29-52 on the road. They had two decent starters, but that's all a team needs to win a seven-game series. They got hot, they got home-field advantage in both the ALCS and the WS, and they won it all.

They were legitimate champions, winning under the rules as they were.

It's important to remember that the World Series champion (like the champion of any postseason) is not necessarily the best team that year - they're just the team that wins the postseason tournament. And that's fine.
That was my whole point. The two division format doesn't guarantee that a "superior" team will win the World Series, at least in this case.

If the 1981 playoff was applied to 1987, this is how it would turn out:

AL:
Detroit Tigers vs Toronto Blue Jays
Minnesota Twins vs Kansas City Royals.

NL:
St. Louis Cardinals vs New York Mets
San Francisco Giants vs Cincinnati Reds.

if the National League had been aligned in a geographically correct manner(with Atlanta and Cincinnati being in the NL East and Chicago and St. Louis being in the NL West), it would look like this for the NL:

New York Mets vs Montreal Expos
St. Louis Cardinals vs San Francisco Giants

Last edited by green_mariner; 12-21-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
So, they're going to be three teams in Texas and none in Florida? And why Portland? And how do you account for the fact Miami just built a stadium for the Marlins?
I think this was designed around the idea that the Florida teams would have trouble making money.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:01 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,161,261 times
IMO possible future = NHL playoff format and less games in the regular season to make it work.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
IMO possible future = NHL playoff format and less games in the regular season to make it work.
I don't know if that would work out. People are used to seeing a game every day.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I can't see the Players Union agreeing to a doubleheader format like this. And I think owners would resist it due to doubleheaders generally mean less gate (even day/night). Not to mention at least one WC in each league would be a day game, so even TV might not like it.

Personally I see expansion to 32 teams in the not too distant future, and eight divisions of four teams with only the winners advancing - provided the Yankees & RedSox agree.
I would prefer a contraction to 28 teams, 4 divisions of 7 teams with only the winners advancing.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,204,224 times
Go back to 154 games. Have the wild-card round best of 3 or 5 and the divisional round best of 7

Old 01-02-2014, 05:45 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,205,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
No way MLB will expand. Remember it was not long ago that they were seriously considering contraction. There is already a dearth of talent at the major league level, another 2 teams would essentially be a AAA squad.
Well, think of it this way, Houston would have someone to beat in the standings.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
No way MLB will expand. Remember it was not long ago that they were seriously considering contraction. There is already a dearth of talent at the major league level, another 2 teams would essentially be a AAA squad.
I don't think it's so much a dearth of talent. I think a big part is about connections. There are probably some very talented baseball players, but either because of connections or geographic residence, alot of scouts won't go there. There is more talent out there. It is a matter of looking for that talent.

And another part is about attracting that talent. The way baseball works, one has to work through the minors. With other sports, the road to alot of money is shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball