U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,736,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
So, they're going to be three teams in Texas and none in Florida? And why Portland? And how do you account for the fact Miami just built a stadium for the Marlins?
Yes, because Texas will support MLB and Florida will not. Concerning the new stadium for the Marlins, that must be a silly dream that I won't remember after I wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 AM

203 posts, read 278,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Well, you take Tampa out of a 4-team AL East and let the remaining fools spend themselves to death!

I'd suggest:
AL East: BAL, BOS, NYY, TOR
AL Central: CHI, CLE, DET, MIN
AL Southwest: COL, HOU, KC, TEX (if anyplace needs a DH, it's Colorado!)
AL Pacific: LAA, OAK, SEA, POR (Portland - new)

NL East: NYM, PHI, PIT, WAS
NL South: ATL, CHR (Charlotte - new, although could be Nashville), MIA, TB
NL Central: CHC, CIN, MIL, STL
NL Pacific: AZ, LAD, SD, SF

So you switch leagues with Colorado and Tampa (moving Tampa to other side of the Bay in doing so), add Portland and Charlotte. You could have option of moving Tampa to San Antonio and keeping them in NL South as well. You give the AL all of the PNW and the NL all of Florida.
I saved a note about this alignment, and the more I go back and look at it the more I realize this is probably the most ideal and realistic solution I've seen.

Carolina could basically be any south eastern area but I think Charlotte or somewhere in the Raleigh/Durham area makes the most sense. And overall it is so nicely balanced. You gotta figure eventually TB or Miami (or both) will lose their teams, though, and I just wonder if this nice alignment could be maintained by keeping their relocations relatively close. Maybe, if something like this alignment happened in the next 5-10 years, a relocation of one of the Florida teams to the Dominican Republic, or Puerto Rico could be viable shortly after. Or like you said San Antonio (or Austin) wouldn't mess up the geographies too much.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,063,175 times
I'd prefer to see playoff reform based on win difference between the teams (excludes world series).

If teams are less than 5 wins apart, better record gets 4 of 7 home games.
If 5-9 games, better rec = 5 home games. (4th and 5th at lower seed)
If 10+, better record gets 6 home games. (4th at lower seed).

That would IMO increase interest at year end, in event division is won, seeding is set, to "run up" the record. It also would raise the bar for the team hitting the playoffs with a mediocre record.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM

48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'd prefer to see playoff reform based on win difference between the teams (excludes world series).

If teams are less than 5 wins apart, better record gets 4 of 7 home games.
If 5-9 games, better rec = 5 home games. (4th and 5th at lower seed)
If 10+, better record gets 6 home games. (4th at lower seed).

That would IMO increase interest at year end, in event division is won, seeding is set, to "run up" the record. It also would raise the bar for the team hitting the playoffs with a mediocre record.
I see that. I also have another idea. The team with the best record for the whole league gets ALL home games and the 4th seed gets no home games.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,880,588 times
We do not need additional playoff games. As it is, the World Series takes until (and has gone into) November. Plus, the winner of their division who has to sit around another day waiting for the division series to get underway. The winner of the wildcard series would be so beat and their pitching so abused during a 3 game in 2 day scenario plus travel, that they would essentially be under a huge disadvantage in the division series.

Years ago you had just the WS. Then they introduced the best of 5 games LCS in 1969. Then the wildcard caused the addition of the division series and the LCS became a best of 7 series. Now we have a 1 game wildcard playoff.

I don't want to be one of those who opposes change that makes sense, but this proposal just doesn't make sense. More isn't always better.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,880,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Well, you take Tampa out of a 4-team AL East and let the remaining fools spend themselves to death!
The only team "spending themselves to death" in the AL East is the Yankees, and we've seen that doesn't guarantee them a pennant (as we'll see reinforced this season as they finish #3 or #4). Just because Tampa Bay has no fans and no attendance and spends nothing doesn't mean they're right and others are wrong.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM

203 posts, read 278,005 times
Some more evidence that a Carolina team is viable (rooting for Yankees?, yikes!)

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/...1/original.jpg

Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,785,293 times
I am all for a 3 game Wild Card series.

Could we ever see a 12 team or 16 team playoff format?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:23 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,699,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I am all for a 3 game Wild Card series.

Could we ever see a 12 team or 16 team playoff format?
I hope not.

The WC game is fine as a one-game winner take all as it basically requires the two teams involved to use their best pitcher, then go into the LCS at a disadvantage - which in essence puts a premium on winning the division.

If a team wins 98 games or 86 games and goes to the WC game, all it means is they weren't good enough to win their division. Make it difficult for them to advance.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:39 PM

2,386 posts, read 2,994,290 times
It sucks that the two best teams in the MLB were beaten in a best-of-five game series by Wild Card teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or