U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:41 PM

12,215 posts, read 10,445,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
It sucks that the two best teams in the MLB were beaten in a best-of-five game series by Wild Card teams.
It's been that way since 1995...check how many Wild Card teams have won the World Series since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,504,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I am all for a 3 game Wild Card series.

Could we ever see a 12 team or 16 team playoff format?
GOD NO

Old 10-14-2014, 02:45 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,795,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I hope not.

The WC game is fine as a one-game winner take all as it basically requires the two teams involved to use their best pitcher, then go into the LCS at a disadvantage - which in essence puts a premium on winning the division.
So you're fine if they pull it all out for a single, game 162? I don't agree with that.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:16 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,297,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I heard Bob Costas mention this idea on the Dan Patrick show. He said that it's not his plan. It was told to him by a National League GM.

Costas says that division winners don't have as much as an advantage as they should.
Please.

Winning a division earns a bye. That's huge. It also earns them extra rest, even for division winners that clinch on the last day of the season. That's big, too.

The baseball playoff system is set up very well at this point. The only tweak which would be an improvement would be giving World Series home-field advantage to the team with the better record - people whine about giving it to the league that wins the All-Star Game, but that's at least slightly less nonsensical than the old system (which was just alternating it each year).

Besides, there's only so much advantage that needs to be given. If you're going to open the championship to teams that were clearly not as good as other teams during the regular season, you have to accept the fact that sometimes, if not the majority of the time (given the size of the postseason field), the best team will not win the postseason tournament. Don't like it? Well, the only alternative to accepting that reality is scrapping postseason play altogether, and simply declaring the best regular-season team the champion. And I don't think anyone is interesting in that.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:33 PM

6,553 posts, read 4,509,772 times
IF there's playoff reform it should be the way the rounds are currently constructed not the number of teams.

The Division series should go back the 2-3 format they had in 2012 with the condensed schedule. In the current 2-2-1 format if the road team splits the first 2 they are in total control of the series and if the sweep the first 2 road games the series is all but over.

I also don't like the 2-3-2 format for the Championship & World Series. There's a reason the NHL switched back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format in the finals a few years back and the NBA joined them in that regard last season. Take this Cardinals/Giants. They ended up losing anyways, so they probably lose the series regardless of whether they are at home or on the road but if the Cards had held onto win game 4 and tied the series at 2-2 the Giants would have had game 3 at home (with the series tied 1-1) AND game 5 at home (with the series at 2-2). Game 5 of a 2-2 series is a huge, pivotal game, there is NO WAY the "better" team should be playing on the road in that pivotal game. Game 3 of a 1-1 series is pretty big too, but not as big as game 5 of a 2-2. So, I think MLB should follow the NHL & NBA's lead and go to a 2-2-1-1-1 format for the League Championship & World Series, or even a 2-3-1-1 format (where the "higher seed" had games 3 through 5 at home instead of on the road). I know the winner of game 1 wins the series close to 80% of the time but honestly I'd rather have games 3 & 5 at home than game 1 I think they are more important games, especially in tied series.

The LCS format might not make a huge impact, but the change in the division series format would kill these "Cinderella" teams and at least actually leave the better teams in the playoffs longer. The Royals, Cardinals & Giants weren't even in the top 5 for best teams most of the regular season, they just got hot and took advantage of bad playoff formats in October. Take this Giants/Nats series for example. Take nothing away from the Giants but in the 2-3 format (assuming the Giants use the same pitchers):
game 1 we still have Peavy for the Giants, but since we start on the road instead of home, the Nats throw Jordan Zimmermann instead. Nats probably win that game.
game 2: we still have Hudson for the Giants, but since we are still in San Francisco, we have Fister start game 2 (check out Strasburg's splits for the year why you don't want him pitching on the road). Hudson gave up 1 run in Washington, Fister gave up 0 in San Francisco. Toss up but we'll say the Nats win if we play everything out. Now the Nats are the team that's up 2-0 but instead of going on the road up 2-0 they are going home up 2-0 and have the next 3 games there.
Same with the Royals/Angels too: If the Royals get the 2 extra innings wins at home in game 1 & 2 do they still win game 3 in Anaheim??

Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 PM

48,304 posts, read 45,605,417 times
I'm wondering the value of doing sudden death style playoffs. Play one game for each series.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 AM

6,553 posts, read 4,509,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm wondering the value of doing sudden death style playoffs. Play one game for each series.
I like the idea, but still have some faults. Here's what I'd do in this format:

Season is 156 games and break down as follows: 9/10 games against teams in your own division (36-40 total) 6/7 each against each of the other 10 teams in your league. The less number of games you play against your division, the more you play against out of division opponent but EACH team in each league would play 110 division games. See an example below (at the *) how they work this in different sports. (60-70; 110 total overall), 4 against your "natural" rival from the other league (i.e. Baltimore vs. Washington, Cubs vs. White Sox, Dodgers vs. Angels). For teams that don't have a "natural" rival (D'Backs, Rockies, Rangers now) there's a pool they can rotate with every year. That brings us to 114 total games, and finally 42 games against the other 14 teams from the opposite league which breaks down to one 3 game series. That brings us up to speed with the NHL & NBA counterparts as every team plays each other.
* In the NHL each Eastern conference team plays 28 games total against the Western Conference (1 each team home & home) and 54 against the other Eastern teams for a grand total of 82. In the Western conference, each team will play 32 games against each of the Eastern teams (1 each home & way; more Eastern teams then Western team which is why the difference) and 50 against the other teams in the West. Each will play 3 games against the OTHER teams in their division and either 4 or 5 against teams in their division. For example the New York Islanders are in the Eastern Conference's Metropolitan division. They have 28 games against the 14 Western conference teams, 24 against the Atlantic division (8 teams, 3 games each) that brings us to 52. Now the remaining 30 games are spread out throughout the other 7 teams in the Metropolitan division, however this is where the numbers vary. The Islanders play the divisional opponent Rangers 5 times but only play the divisional opponent Devils 4 times.
In the NBA it's a bit more complicated but generally the same results. An even league (15 teams in the East, 15 in the West, 5 teams 6 divisions, 3 per conference). The West plays 30 games vs. the East (1 home & away) and vice-versa with the East. You also play 16 games in your division (other 4 teams, 4 games each) and the remaining 36 games (82 game season) are spread throughout the other 10 teams in the other 2 divisions of your conference. For example, the Toronto Raptors are in the Eastern Conference's Atlantic Division. They play 30 games against teams in the West, 16 games against the other 4 Atlantic division teams (4 games each) and the leftover 36 are different from team to team. The Raptors play the Milwaukee Bucks only 3 times while the Philadelphia 76ers (a divisional team) play them 4 times. The Raptors play the Orlando Magic 4 times, but the divisional opponent Brooklyn Nets only play them 3 times.
In my baseball scenario: the Nats would play 45 games against the 15 AL teams (1 3 game series each) then they would have 37 games against the NL east (9 games vs. the Braves, Marlins & Phillies but an extra game vs. the Mets to play them 10 times). They would play 6 games against the Cubs, Reds, Pirates, Cardinals, Rockies, D'Backs & Padres but they would play a 7th game vs. the Brewers, Dodgers & Giants to get up to 110 total NL games and 155 overall

With the 156 game season schedule top 8 teams in each league make the playoffs, and we seed them 1-8 like a tournament bracket. Like the NBA, all 3 division winners are guaranteed home field but aren't guaranteed the top 3 seeds. IF one of the 5 wildcard winners has a better record than a division winner that team gets seeded ahead of them. if there are more than 2 wildcard winners that have better records than a division winner those teams would be seeded ahead BUT the division winner has homefield. I.e the Padres win the West at 85-77, however the Marlins (89-73) and the Pirates (86-76) both finished with better records but neither won division. Marlins would be seeded 3rd, Pirates 4th & Padres 5th, but the Padres would have HFA because they were a division winner and the Pirates weren't.
Tiebreakers: If tied for division:
Head-to-head record. if played 10 games and tied move onto divisional record, should be broken after that, but next tiebreaker is conference record, then interleague record, and if a miracle happens and we need a tiebreaker after interleague record because it's all still tied compare records of teams starting in same league at top and move down to last team in opposite league, Winner gets the higher seed.
If tied for spots 2-7 same division:
See above:
if tied for spots 2-7 different divisions:
Head to head record. if only played 6 games and tied move onto conference record. If you need to go further than that it is interleague record than the comparing common results.

In this quarterfinal opening round (which starts on Tuesday after regular season (Monday is a potential tied for 8th tiebreaker games so leave that open) (1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6 & 4 vs. 5), it is a best of 3 series, and the higher seed has HFA: they can do 1 of 2 things:
1) They can choose to start game 1 on the road and come home for games 2 & 3 if necessary or
2) They can choose to play games 1 & 2 at home, but they have to play game 3 the deciding game on the road.
In order to minimize collusion once you are officially locked into a top 4 seed you have no more than 72 hours to notify MLB what choice you are taking, but no less than 12 hours if clinched top 4 spot on final day (I.e. the Dodgers end their game on September 15 at 10:27 PM local time to get win #87. Since the worst they could finish is tied for 4th, but they own every tiebreaker against any team that they could potentially finish tied with that win guarantees them HFA in the opening round. The Dodgers would have until 10:27 PM local time on September 18 to notify MLB whether they are taking option 1 or option 2. The Cardinals and Giants each have identical 91-70 records heading into the final day of the season and are tied for 4th. Cardinals won the season series 4-3 so they win the tiebreaker. The Cardinals win their game at 3:45 local time. In order to plan for the Giants to plan on short notice whether they are traveling to St. Louis for 2 games or playing Tuesday in San Francisco, the Cardinals have until 3:45 AM to notify MLB what choice they are making.

Once the quarterfinals end, take the NHL option where the highest remaining seed plays the lowest remaining seed and the next 2 highest play each other in the conference semifinals. These will be best of 5 and follow a 2-3 format where the lower seeded team plays the first 2 games at home before the highest remaining seeds plays the final 3 at home.

For the conference finals & the World Series play a best of 7 for those formats in a 2-3-1-1 format (the extra cancelled trip from the conference semifinals will be made up here with an extra trip in the World Series).

Last edited by 7express; 10-22-2014 at 01:25 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 05:40 PM

448 posts, read 422,976 times
I would want the format of the games changed to a 2-2-1-1-1 in a 7game series and home field advantage going to the best record team in the WS.

As for the number of teams:
I really hope the MLB playoffs don't change but if they did, I would settle for a similar format as the NFL but nothing more. In such system, maybe they can make the wildcard a best of 3 or best of 5 series and the CS and WS being 7games (as is the case currently).

The MLB doesn't need a joke of a playoff system like the NBA where half the teams make it to the playoffs (and we all saw the atrocity of the weak sub-500 Eastern Conference teams that made it last year).

Last edited by latino_esq; 10-22-2014 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,907,047 times
I like the modified beer league solution,

Round robin triple elimination tourny, consisting of the six best regular season records.Three games every day, one day of rest, three games, repeat until all but one team has lost three game.

No muss, no fuss.

Fans will hate it, as will the teams, as will television, so I know it will never happen

My only beer league softball championship came out of a double elimination tourney. We beat the team that beat us in the first round,

Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,912,895 times
Baseball should be done by now...season is too long. Start April 15 end October 15th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or