U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times

Advertisements

Rick Horton: "There's a shot of the Build-a-Bear Workshop here at Busch Stadium."
Al Hrabosky: "You have to have a big entertainment area for the kids nowdays."
Rick Horton: "There's lots for kids do here at the ballpark."

I guess watching the game from their $40 seat is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:23 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,700,735 times
I'm up in CT this week and I was listening to a Yankees game. It was so painful, but not just because of John "THHHUUUUU worst and most pompous announcer in MLB history" Sterling, but because the Yankees have sold a sponsorship for EVERYTHING.

Pregame
"This Day in Yankees History" segment of pre-game
First pitch
15th pitch (Geico)
Every half inning
First walks
Strikeouts (this is inside the park - every K at home games is followed by the PC Richard whistle)
Pitching changes
Replay challenges
7th inning stretch

There are more I didn't list - I couldn't even keep up, seemed like at least two sponsored "events" per half inning. And it gets comical at times as Suzyn Waldman, Sterling's "partner", delivers some of these in-game ads while Sterling steps over her mike.

I used to think they were the worst announcing team. But Suzyn's gotten better and actually offers some insight, which Sterling doesn't want to hear and ignores.
Extra innings

Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Baseball telecasts are being ruined by the following:

- sideline reporters. Don't need them. Worst offender? Erin Andrews.
- interviews with players and managers during the game. Can't find the mute button fast enough.
- horrible announcing. Worst offenders? Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

FOX doesn't know how to broadcast sports. It's all gimmicks with them. I miss the days when NBC had baseball. You have to go back to the 90's. They did it right. It was only about the game with only the best announcers in the business.
It isn't just the announcers it is a lot more than that: It now takes 3 to 4 hours to play a game. They stop with every pitch it seems like, yes, there are all the sideline reporters and interviews; they change pitchers every other inning it seems...

I remember when I could listen to any baseball game, I didn't care who was playing, now I only want to hear or watch when it is one of my 2 or 3 favorite teams.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,424,164 times
I have no complaints about announcers most of the time, unless they're factually wrong.

There is nothing better than watching a Dodgers game and listening to Vin Scully. NOTHING BETTER.

I love the conversations the Rockies announcers have, they bring a lot of information to the game. Even if they don't have the old time baseball sound in their voices. The White Sox guys are great too.

For nostalgia's sake, I crank up the At Bat app and tune to KIRO radio's feed of Rick Rizzs calling Mariners games. He does so no differently than he did in my youth.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:38 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It isn't just the announcers it is a lot more than that: It now takes 3 to 4 hours to play a game. They stop with every pitch it seems like, yes, there are all the sideline reporters and interviews; they change pitchers every other inning it seems...

I remember when I could listen to any baseball game, I didn't care who was playing, now I only want to hear or watch when it is one of my 2 or 3 favorite teams.

That is why I have started to attend NCAA baseball and softball games. There are a LOT fewer delays and a lot less of the goofy promotions going on.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,737,089 times
I have no problem with short ads that are inserted during broadcasts because this is how networks generate revenue to pay the bills. And every network does it.

But getting back to the subject of telecasts, I enjoy most of the chit-chat between the announcers because I can enjoy the stories and pick up new trivial information. One exception to this is when an announcer makes a statement that I know to be untrue and I suspect that he does so because of personal bias. And I get perturbed whenever they ignore what's happening on the field and don't tell us who is pinch-hitting or who is now a defensive replacement at third. This was a problem on last night's ESPN telecast.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 AM

28,488 posts, read 15,447,826 times
I have a Roku3 and watched the College World Series via the WatchESPN channel. They have what they call K-Zone broadcast - which shows the pitcher/batter exchange with the rectangle outlining the strike zone. When the ball is in play - such as a ground out, you see the normal video.

What's different is that there were no announcers. They must have the field mic'ed up, because you could clearly hear the ball/strike calls from the ump, and the safe/out calls from the field umps, even the ball popping the glove at the base and the footsteps from the runners. If a foul ball was hit in foul territory, you could hear the crowd in the area where the ball was hit. It was almost like you were at the game. I liked it.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,371,865 times
Vin Scully is a Godsend. But as the OP stated, no one wants to hear what Joe Girardi has to say during the game. Seriously , what are these managers and players tell you during the game that they won't tell you post-game, which is also meaningless.

The worst one in sports is a Heather Cox on ESPN. Although she don't report on baseball, when she does her reporting at other sporting events, she acts like she is doing God's work with her stupid questions.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,876,260 times
TV has ruined the games with all the advertising. The players help wreck the game by dawdling between pitches.

It has slowed so much that teams spend a lot of unnecessary money on 'entertainment zones' for kids, since they get bored easily.

Baseball is still a great game...at under 2.5 hours. I saw Roy Oswalt and Greg Maddux pitch a game in under 2 hours, it was great.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 AM

5,223 posts, read 5,091,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I have no complaints about announcers most of the time, unless they're factually wrong.

I find it particularly irritating when they say "Foul tip in the dirt.", make reference to the position of a fielder's feet in relation to the foul line as having anything to do with whether a batted ball is fair or foul, or refer to the foul lines or foul poles as "fair lines" or "fair poles".

Mistaken rule references are annoying. There should be a copy of "Knotty Problems of Baseball" in every broadcast booth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball