U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM
 
101 posts, read 143,413 times
Reputation: 191

Advertisements

The stats for this world series:
Sox: 23 runs, 52 hits, 4 errors, .261 BA
LAD 21 runs, 53 hits, 4 errors, .261 BA

With such even stats how did the Dodgers take the series 4 games to 2?

The Sox blew their wad in game one, an 11-0 drubbing of the Dodgers. This one game accounts for most of the Soxs totals. In another game they garnered 12 hits but had only one run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2013, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,533 posts, read 11,600,379 times
Reputation: 9089
The Pirates winning the WS the following year was a greater aberration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
Reputation: 13856
The biggest aberration was LA getting a World Series win in its second year as the home of the Dodgers. Poor Brooklyn had to suffer through all those years of Robins, Bridegrooms, and Dodgers with only one celebratory season (1955) to show for it...

I remember 1959 clearly. My best boyhood pal was a huge Sox fan. He lived and died with Fox and Aparicio, Sherm Lollar, Billy Pierce, Dick Donovan -- that whole crew. I on the other hand was a still-shocked Brooklyn diehard. I could recite GilliamReeseSniderRobinsonHodgesCampanellaFurilloA marosNewcombe in my sleep (though by 1959 Robby was gone, Campy had had his terrible accident, and Larry Sherry was to have that spectacular Series run).

We were never as close again after LA topped the Sox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 PM
 
1,420 posts, read 2,637,228 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
The stats for this world series:
Sox: 23 runs, 52 hits, 4 errors, .261 BA
LAD 21 runs, 53 hits, 4 errors, .261 BA

With such even stats how did the Dodgers take the series 4 games to 2?

The Sox blew their wad in game one, an 11-0 drubbing of the Dodgers. This one game accounts for most of the Soxs totals. In another game they garnered 12 hits but had only one run.
Speaking of numbers and the weights they hold, in 1981 the Cincinnati Reds had the best record in baseball.

They didn't make the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,435 posts, read 6,407,950 times
Reputation: 4340
Well hey, 2001 World Series was like 37-14 in favor of the Diamondbacks, and the D-Backs only won by one game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 PM
 
1,405 posts, read 2,152,335 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I remember 1959 clearly. My best boyhood pal was a huge Sox fan. He lived and died with Fox and Aparicio, Sherm Lollar, Billy Pierce, Dick Donovan -- that whole crew. I on the other hand was a still-shocked Brooklyn diehard. I could recite GilliamReeseSniderRobinsonHodgesCampanellaFurilloA marosNewcombe in my sleep (though by 1959 Robby was gone, Campy had had his terrible accident, and Larry Sherry was to have that spectacular Series run).
If you were to add "Jungle" Jim Rivera, these were my boyhood heroes. Minoso had already left for Cleveland, but he was my favorite Sox player. Fox came to our LL banquet and gave each kid an autograph. We moved to LA and the Dodgers arrived a few years later, so I was very conflicted at the time of the '59 WS. Sherry was superb, though, and I lost the few dollars I had wagered on the Sox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
Reputation: 13856
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
If you were to add "Jungle" Jim Rivera, these were my boyhood heroes. Minoso had already left for Cleveland, but he was my favorite Sox player. Fox came to our LL banquet and gave each kid an autograph. We moved to LA and the Dodgers arrived a few years later, so I was very conflicted at the time of the '59 WS. Sherry was superb, though, and I lost the few dollars I had wagered on the Sox.
Jungle Jim! And the Sox had Big Klu at the end of his career, as well. I had forgotten about Minnie. Great ballplayer. He was Cuban, wasn't he?

And I believe Aparicio was the SECOND ace Sox shortstop from Venezuela, following Chico Carrasquel.

I also just remembered that Fox was the AL MVP in 59. What a great second baseman and team player.

There was something special about ballplayers in those days. Maybe it was because there were fewer teams and thus fewer major league players. Maybe it was because it was relatively inexpensive to go to games -- many of which were played in the afternoon.

Of course, maybe it was also because we were young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 AM
 
1,405 posts, read 2,152,335 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Jungle Jim! And the Sox had Big Klu at the end of his career, as well. I had forgotten about Minnie. Great ballplayer. He was Cuban, wasn't he?

And I believe Aparicio was the SECOND ace Sox shortstop from Venezuela, following Chico Carrasquel.

I also just remembered that Fox was the AL MVP in 59. What a great second baseman and team player.

There was something special about ballplayers in those days. Maybe it was because there were fewer teams and thus fewer major league players. Maybe it was because it was relatively inexpensive to go to games -- many of which were played in the afternoon.

Of course, maybe it was also because we were young.
I think the ballplayers were special to us because we were young. We didn't know about the drinking, the womanizing, or the big egos. All we were aware of was the magic that happened between the lines.

While it was relatively inexpensive to see a game - it cost a mere 50 cents to pass the gates at Comiskey Park - I often had to sneak in, having spent my paper route money on White Castle hamburgers.

When the Sox travelled to play the hated Yankees some of us would ditch classes and watch the game on TV (I'm talking the 5th and 6th grades) but eventually the principal got onto us. Glad that he was a Sox fan, too.

While Charlie Hustle and the Say Hey Kid are more famous, Minnie would dazzle you with his play in the outfield, and who could forget his running out every infield pop-up, sometimes on his way to 3rd when the ball finally hit the leather? There is a new kid on the Dodgers now - Puig, also from Cuba - that reminds me of Minnie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 AM
 
16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
Reputation: 47975
Nellie Fox! Choked up on that bat a ways, heh! Didn't he operate a bowling alley in the off season (and possibly own it?)

Minnie Minoso, didn't he get credit for being hit by a pitch as much as anyone in MLB history?

I remember 1959, even though I was just 10 at the time. They called them the GO-Go-Sox! And then there was the fireworks coming off the scoreboard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
Reputation: 13856
Here's Nellie:



And here are his stats. Check out 1959, his MVP year: two homers, 70 ribbies, 13 strikeouts. Man, he and Luis must have driven opposing teams nuts!

Nellie Fox Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top