Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Cowherd proclaimed this as a pure business move as the local soccer team allegedly outdraws the Mariners. Sheesh. Will Cano have any kind of supporting cast?
We've got a bunch of guys who can hit close to their weight.

Good news is with 30,000 empty seats at each game I shouldn't have a problem moving to a seat with a better view of Cano.

On a side note, KOMO news said this morning the Mariners offered a 9 year deal for $2xxM and Cano's agent countered with a 10 year proposal which agitated the M's management who ended the meeting.

They made it sound as if he came here just to get the highest offer possible to aid in negotiations with other teams... which wouldn't surprise me.

Now it looks as if the M's were desperate enough to agree to a 10th year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 02:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
We've got a bunch of guys who can hit close to their weight.

Good news is with 30,000 empty seats at each game I shouldn't have a problem moving to a seat with a better view of Cano.

On a side note, KOMO news said this morning the Mariners offered a 9 year deal for $2xxM and Cano's agent countered with a 10 year proposal which agitated the M's management who ended the meeting.

They made it sound as if he came here just to get the highest offer possible to aid in negotiations with other teams... which wouldn't surprise me.

Now it looks as if the M's were desperate enough to agree to a 10th year.
The Mariners last big bucks purchase of a secondbaseman was Chone Figgins. Cano shouldn't be that bad.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
Mark Ellis who played 2nd base for the Dodgers last year may still be available. Dollar for dollar he might be a better player then Cano.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
I think they overpaid greatly for Cano, and Safeco is known for their long fences..let's see how many home runs he hits in that
spacious outfield..and his prime is only another few years, then will be on the decline..

Old 12-06-2013, 04:22 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Also, just to warn Mariners fans, Cano sometimes goes on month-long stretches (once or twice a year) where every ball he hits is either a slow tapper back to the mound or a bouncing groundball straight to the second baseman. It does get frustrating, so watch out

Old 12-06-2013, 05:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I think they overpaid greatly for Cano, and Safeco is known for their long fences..let's see how many home runs he hits in that
spacious outfield..and his prime is only another few years, then will be on the decline..
This deal makes no sense. Seattle should have spend the money on pitching and looked for high OBP gap hitters to fit the build of their stadium, but whatever...I'm not a Mariners fan and really don't care. Half of his games at Safeco each year...I expect HRs in the 17-22 range, RBIs in the 80's, and a BA in the 290s to low 300s.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Myself and a lot of people share your opinion that I bolded, above, and here's an article supporting that.

The whole episode with Cano is rather bizarre, as this article indicates the deal almost fell through due to the contract negotiations involving musician Jay Z who is starting a business to represent athletes. Another article indicates that Jay Z was trying to work a deal with the Mets for Cano. Maybe there'll be a new reality show on TV: Pimp My Athlete.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Miami is a big market city. So they can afford to make big moves like this.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
This is a waste of money. Cano is very streaky, his fielding sucks and he is also not a clutch player. I am glad the Yankees "low-balled" him.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Miami is a big market city. So they can afford to make big moves like this.
I agree with this, but they tried that with Reyes, et al; even tried to get Pujols. Then they turned around and ditched everybody again. I know that got Salty this week, but he basically had nowhere else to go for a multi-year contract. Most high-end free agents (and their agents) are leery of the Marlins and their refusal to add no-trade clauses. Can't blame them, really. Having said this, I think Curtis Granderson would have been a good fit in Miami. They need a young (or at least not-too-old) veteran/everyday player that the younger guys can look up to and yet still identify with at the same time. He could pass as a decent CF for a year or two until a younger guy takes that spot (and then, of course, they trade him).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball