U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM

804 posts, read 1,380,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
First overall draft pick? Are you insane? This is a team that had 85 wins despite the fact that every single player in the lineup except for Cano spent time on the DL list. It's gonna be really hard to fall all the way to the bottom of the league. Even the 2009 Mets didn't get the first overall draft pick, and the 2009 Mets were beyond atrocious. Worst case scenario I would think is a 78-84 record.
What about best case scenario? If Jeter and Tex come back fully healthy and productive, then the Yanks will have a formidable offense with the dynamic duo of Gardner and Ellsbury finally adding the much needed element of speed to this offense. Speaking of Gardner, I really hope they don't trade him. We've already lost a bunch of power hitters and I think it's important to retain as much speed as possible. Anyways, I think best case scenario is around 97 wins and a division title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:51 PM

52,095 posts, read 41,892,714 times
Quote:
I'm glad we didn't try to go over 10/240, as this is the smart option in the long run, but you have to admit, the next three to four years are going to suck. Once it's 2019 or 2020, and Seattle is paying 24 million to an aging DH, then we can all have a good laugh. But in 2014 and 2015, it's gonna be painful, no doubt about it. Cardinals could afford to lose Pujols because they have best farm in baseball. Yankees don't have that luxury, so I expect that instead of playing like post-Pujols Cardinals, we're gonna be playing like post-Fielder Brewers. In the long run though this is definitely right choice
When you have a payroll like the Yankees do, your "farm system" includes half the teams in MLB.

They are in the playoffs about 9 out of 10 years and so if they have an off year they will shortly be able to spend their way back in no time.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,821,636 times
That deal is a bit much. It would have been better for Cano just to have a three-year deal with extra incentives, and then have an option later on. He's only going to be good a few more years.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,796,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Well, Yankee Stadium is a bandbox, so almost anywhere would be worse. It's LF and CF that were a little on the lengthy side at Safeco, but those fences were moved in by 4-12 feet prior to last season.
Left center field was the only fence moved significantly..almost 17 feet..the rest where moved 4 feet..
We shall see what Cano does in Seattle, but think they overpaid for this guy, and it's his character what
matters.
Too many big league guys getting that FAT paycheck and go on the decline. Who can blame em.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,506,707 times
Quote:
Also, just to warn Mariners fans, Cano sometimes goes on month-long stretches (once or twice a year) where every ball he hits is either a slow tapper back to the mound or a bouncing groundball straight to the second baseman. It does get frustrating, so watch out
Also to warn M's fans on those slow choppers to the mound he NEVER runs. People taking a casual stroll on a Sunday morning move faster than Cano does on those choppers. You could throw the ball into RF and probably still throw him out at first.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Also to warn M's fans on those slow choppers to the mound he NEVER runs. People taking a casual stroll on a Sunday morning move faster than Cano does on those choppers. You could throw the ball into RF and probably still throw him out at first.
lol yeah. I always wondered why Girardi didn't just bench him for his attitude on some days. It didn't even matter how important the game was. He never ran hard on a routine ground ball.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM

41,207 posts, read 18,619,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
lol yeah. I always wondered why Girardi didn't just bench him for his attitude on some days. It didn't even matter how important the game was. He never ran hard on a routine ground ball.
Well now you will have Brian Roberts running hard when he makes outs. Good trade off for all those hits and home runs.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Well now you will have Brian Roberts running hard when he makes outs. Good trade off for all those hits and home runs.

I don't know if Brian Roberts can make it to first base

Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,073,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Probably because Girardi wanted to win games. Not stand on principle, lose, manage in front of an empty stadium and get fired.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Probably because Girardi wanted to win games. Not stand on principle, lose, manage in front of an empty stadium and get fired.
A majority of fans would have supported the decision to bench Cano. His lack of hustle probably cost us some runs and more importantly, the message sent by Girardi would have been valuable for someone apparently immature as himself. Now, if he didn't feel the pressure in NY to perform at a high level, I can only imagine how he will do in Seattle. Anyway, I think it's a bit of a hyperbole for a decision like that to cause a manager to get fired and lead to an "empty" stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or