U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: God's Country
5,188 posts, read 3,516,406 times
Reputation: 8689

Advertisements

Cowherd proclaimed this as a pure business move as the local soccer team allegedly outdraws the Mariners. Sheesh. Will Cano have any kind of supporting cast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,438 posts, read 6,421,611 times
Reputation: 4340
No doubt that this will hurt us in the short run. We're losing a 6+ WAR player. It's pretty much impossible to replace his 28 Homeruns, 103 RBI, and .314 Batting Average that he has put up over the past five years. Over the last five years, he is 5th in WAR, 6th in Batting Average, 11th in Slugging, 5th in RBI, and 9th in Homeruns. This is not like losing your average second baseman, this is like losing the fifth best baseball player in baseball, as well as the best 2B in franchise history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,131 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Reputation: 18731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
No doubt that this will hurt us in the short run. We're losing a 6+ WAR player. It's pretty much impossible to replace his 28 Homeruns, 103 RBI, and .314 Batting Average that he has put up over the past five years. Over the last five years, he is 5th in WAR, 6th in Batting Average, 11th in Slugging, 5th in RBI, and 9th in Homeruns. This is not like losing your average second baseman, this is like losing the fifth best baseball player in baseball, as well as the best 2B in franchise history
You are basing your calculations on what he has done rather than on what he will be doing. The Yankees are actually losing Cano's ages 31-41 seasons. The next three or four seasons are likely to be good, but less productive than his previous output. From age 35 on the Mariners will probably have a costly liability on their hands.

Handing out ten year contracts to guys over the age of 30, especially when the highest portions of the salary will be paid in the later years, is a foolishness which baseball owners do not seem to be able to overcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,438 posts, read 6,421,611 times
Reputation: 4340
I'm glad we didn't try to go over 10/240, as this is the smart option in the long run, but you have to admit, the next three to four years are going to suck. Once it's 2019 or 2020, and Seattle is paying 24 million to an aging DH, then we can all have a good laugh. But in 2014 and 2015, it's gonna be painful, no doubt about it. Cardinals could afford to lose Pujols because they have best farm in baseball. Yankees don't have that luxury, so I expect that instead of playing like post-Pujols Cardinals, we're gonna be playing like post-Fielder Brewers. In the long run though this is definitely right choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Waiting for a streetcar
1,137 posts, read 1,180,207 times
Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
No doubt that this will hurt us in the short run. We're losing a 6+ WAR player. It's pretty much impossible to replace his 28 Homeruns, 103 RBI, and .314 Batting Average that he has put up over the past five years. Over the last five years, he is 5th in WAR, 6th in Batting Average, 11th in Slugging, 5th in RBI, and 9th in Homeruns. This is not like losing your average second baseman, this is like losing the fifth best baseball player in baseball, as well as the best 2B in franchise history
What...Horace Clarke? Bobby Richardson? Jerry Coleman? Joe Gordon? Poosh-em-up Tony Lazzeri? How quickly they forget!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 01:40 PM
 
Location: California
2,015 posts, read 2,016,234 times
Reputation: 1776
What is this world coming to?? The New York Yankees lose an all star caliber player to the Mariners??? LOLOL I have to admit, Cano may have gotten the better deal financially, but he just made himself irrelevant in the baseball world with this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Waiting for a streetcar
1,137 posts, read 1,180,207 times
Reputation: 1119
Yankees have been doing unto others for years. About time people started doing unto them. Do you think the Yanks will have the first overall draft pick in 2015?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Reputation: 2488
Yah. Soccer is crazy up there, I have no doubt it outdraws baseball. IF Stern/Adam Silver ever put an NBA team back in Seattle that would be a higher draw than the Mariners as well. The Mariners have a lot more problems then 1 Robinson Cano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,131 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Reputation: 18731
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
What...Horace Clarke? Bobby Richardson? Jerry Coleman? Joe Gordon? Poosh-em-up Tony Lazzeri? How quickly they forget!
Not to mention Chuck Knoblauch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,131 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Reputation: 18731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm glad we didn't try to go over 10/240, as this is the smart option in the long run, but you have to admit, the next three to four years are going to suck. Once it's 2019 or 2020, and Seattle is paying 24 million to an aging DH, then we can all have a good laugh. But in 2014 and 2015, it's gonna be painful, no doubt about it. Cardinals could afford to lose Pujols because they have best farm in baseball. Yankees don't have that luxury, so I expect that instead of playing like post-Pujols Cardinals, we're gonna be playing like post-Fielder Brewers. In the long run though this is definitely right choice
Maybe not. The Yankees now have the money that they would have been paying Cano, available to spend on someone else. In addition, having gone through the formalities of a qualifying offer, New York will also get a compensation draft pick (from a special selection which takes place between the first and second rounds of the draft, making it a defacto second round pick.)

New York has more problems though than just Cano, they have little flexibility with so much money committed to a cast of aging and increasingly less effective players. If you are paying some guy 20 million bucks and he sucks, you continue playing him because you are paying so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top