Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times

Advertisements

Ever where I read I still don't understand how the new CBA and the new rules for QO's. Can someone breaks this down to layman's terms.

Here is Keith law's podcast with buster onley about QO's and their negative affect.

Listen to Behind The Dish with Keith Law online

Explaining Qualifying Offers: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

They keep referring to the Kyle Loshe effect of the QO and how he got screwed by this setup and I just don't understand it.

Thirteen free agents turn down qualifying offers

How the new free agent compensation system works - CBSSports.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,737,548 times
I didn't read any of those links, but I'll give you a short answer. The Q.O. replaced the offering of arbitration to a free agent. If a player is offered a Q.O. and accepts it, he is contractually bound to his team for one year at the average pay rate of the top 50 (or maybe it's 100?) salaried players, which this year is $14.1M. The player can still negotiate a multi-year contract extension with this team (only), or just be bound for the one. If the player rejects the Q.O., then he can negotiate with any team (including his own), but he will only get what's negotiated, not a standard minimum. If the player leaves his team for another, then his new team will lose a draft pick(s) if picks are attached to this particular player. If a player does not receive a Q.O., then the team will not receive any draft compensation if the player signs elsewhere - the Q.O. does not have the same restrictions as the old way of offering arbitration. First a team must consider if they want to risk a player accepting what is basically a one year deal at $14.1M. If they don't, then they don't offer because they feel they can keep the player or another at a cheaper rate, or just find a different kind of player altogether. The better players will get the offer, obviously, because they're very likely to receive a lot of interest and get paid beyond the Q.O. minimum; and the team wants draft replacement players as compensation if the player moves on. A guy like Kyle Lohse was a borderline player. The Cardinals didn't want to pay him $13.3M, but thought he'd garner enough interest that he'd get signed and they'd receive draft picks. However, teams value the draft more now and teams were reluctant to burn picks on a very good #3 starter (at best an okay #2), on top of paying him $44-50M over 4 years. That's why he hung out so long, until the desperate-for-pitching Brewers gave up the money and the draft picks for him. (If they were smart, they'd trade him to a contender this offseason or during the summer, but that's my aside.) Keep in mind that the top 10 picks in the draft are protected, so a very bad team can sign a premiere F.A. and only lose a 2nd round pick if that player had received a Q.O. I believe this is the case with Cano. If Seattle has one of the top ten picks, they don't surrender it to the Yankees, only their second pick. No matter what system MLB and the P.A. use, the borderline and leftover players with no market (Ryan Madson a couple years ago under the old system) will always get stuck in one conundrum or another. There's no fool-proof way to protect a free agent. It's risky business, no matter how lucrative it can be.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,383,525 times
Not quite right. Players earn the right to arbitration based on major league service time. Super-2 players complicate the picture, but basically, in years 1, 2, and 3, you are nothing and your team can pretty much pay you whatever it wants. In years 4, 5, and 6 you are eligible for arbitration. You submit a number and so does the club. If you haven't reached an agreement by then, an arbitartor will pick one of the two numbers after a hearing. Once the arbitration years have run their course, players become free agents. A team can choose to make a qualifying offer to an impending free agent, which works pretty much as outlined. There are various other ways to become a free agent also.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,737,548 times
Arbitration eligible and free agency are two different things. I know the difference, and I'm sure the OP does as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball