U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 AM

46,820 posts, read 37,004,105 times

Advertisements

Let's be realistic: Catchers are still going to called upon to defend home plate. You're still going to have aggressive base-running from time to time. All that is part of baseball. Not that we want injuries to happen, but sometimes, things are going to happen with players when split-second decisions get made. I don't see that much good in having to make a drastic change. We've had far too much legislation trying to make its way into sports, and it's not good for any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:03 AM

3,169 posts, read 4,636,378 times
You know, that darn baseball is just too hard and it hurts if it touches you. Replace it with an incrediball just like what's used in coach pitch.

We've also got to do something about the batter's feelings when he strikes out. Maybe he can get another chance by letting his own coach deliver 1 pitch underhanded to him after every strikeout.

I'm shoveling it deep here of course. I'm very tired of the constant changes to turn sports that have any contact at all into powder puff games. If the game is too dangerous, the player can elect to quit. He isn't being forced to play. Go grab a golf club and practice.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 AM

462 posts, read 335,236 times
This is good for the game and the health of the players. I don't know why so many folks are losing their **** over the decision.

I bet if some of y'all was around back in the day, y'all would have bitched about helmets and catcher's masks because it would signify the wussification of America. Nobody is trying to emasculate men here.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM

40,859 posts, read 18,557,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm very tired of the constant changes to turn sports that have any contact at all into powder puff games. If the game is too dangerous, the player can elect to quit. .

Yeah, I don't see why hitters aren't allowed to retain their bats while they run the bases, that would really put some meaning into the concept of breaking up a double play. If the defensive players don't like that, well, they can be swimmers or ping pong players or such.

We should put you in charge and expand on your ideas, for example, those annoying traffic laws, there are just too many of them. If people aren't willing to risk their lives each time they get behind the wheel, then they should stick to roller skates or strollers.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,038,572 times
The idea is to reduce the number of concussions, which, to me, makes the rule worth it. Ironically interesting that the discussion started when Buster Posey had his ankle snapped because he know how to properly block the plate.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 3,801,717 times
Baseball isn't a contact sport like football. You can't have the person playing the most important position on the field get run over by 250 lb freight trains that lead to catastrophic injuries. Catchers, by the position nature, tend to be smaller than hulking 1st basebmen. Players are much bigger now than they were in 1920.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM

462 posts, read 335,236 times
How many 250-pound MLB players are out there again?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yeah, I don't see why hitters aren't allowed to retain their bats while they run the bases, that would really put some meaning into the concept of breaking up a double play. If the defensive players don't like that, well, they can be swimmers or ping pong players or such.

We should put you in charge and expand on your ideas, for example, those annoying traffic laws, there are just too many of them. If people aren't willing to risk their lives each time they get behind the wheel, then they should stick to roller skates or strollers.
You know better than that response. I, like everyone else am totally for any advances being made to protect players with better equipment. What I'm against is the screwing with the rules to the point that it isn't the same game.

I was a catcher all my young life up through the age of 36 playing in college and amateur baseball. Also managed and coached up until 7 years ago. Got news for you. If the catcher is up the line and planted blocking the plate and a runner's only option is that he HAS to slide or get thrown out of the game, you're going to see a lot more broken ankles. Of course, on any close play at home, the catcher can be forced to sweep tag like a bullfighter with his cape. O'le. Make sure that you don't accidentally tag the runner in the face while doing this or there may be a 1 run penalty assessed (Just wait, something like this may be in the horizon). Just down the road will be a rule that a runner can't take out the infielder in a double play. This is no joke, it will be the next thing. The runner will be required to stop, drop, and roll out of the way. More players are hurt at 2nd base from this action than catchers at home plate.

If there is no way that a runner can reach home by sliding, he should be able to contact the catcher. You can make it that they must slide if the catcher is back down by the plate and the runner is capable of touching home on a slide. The decision of whether or not the runner could have reached on a slide being the home plate umpires. Going to be a lot of arguments on that one, prompting what we all want more of, instant replay. This is actually a rule in many amateur baseball leagues. These are adults doing this for fun and competition. Not professionals who know full well the risks of playing the game by the rules established and get paid ridiculous money to do so.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM

40,859 posts, read 18,557,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If the catcher is up the line and planted blocking the plate and a runner's only option is that he HAS to slide or get thrown out of the game, you're going to see a lot more broken ankles. .
You do not appear to understand the new rule. They did not pass a rule saying "no more home plate collisions", the new rule is no more blocking of the plate by the catcher....which is designed to eliminate home plate collisions.

Why aren't their collisions at the other bases? Because the defensive players are not allow to obstruct the path to those bases. Now they can no longer obstruct home.

All that you have written appears to be based on your misunderstanding.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You do not appear to understand the new rule. They did not pass a rule saying "no more home plate collisions", the new rule is no more blocking of the plate by the catcher....which is designed to eliminate home plate collisions.

Why aren't their collisions at the other bases? Because the defensive players are not allow to obstruct the path to those bases. Now they can no longer obstruct home.

All that you have written appears to be based on your misunderstanding.
OK. Here's some what ifs along with questions.

The catcher does not have eyes on the side of his head to know exactly where the base runner is as he's receiving the ball. If he's up the line slightly from the plate since that's where the throw is coming to, the runner can still smoke him since he can't get to home plate? The worst that I've been nailed is when I was still reaching for the ball and couldn't turn to face the runner.

So when the catcher has received the ball, he now can't turn and drop to his knees to absorb the blow, but has to stand and get nailed? This isn't protecting the catcher. I've sent quite a few runners flying over my shoulder when I've had the time to adjust to an attempted freight train. The catcher standing while getting nailed isn't any safer for HIM. Look for more leg injuries for the catchers if the runner go low on him and not sliding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or