U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,082,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'm happy for the three players that did get in, but it's immensely disappointing that Craig Biggio did not get in, considering it was by that much. He has to get in next year, along with Jeff Bagwell.

And this is a banner year for Hall of Fame candidates when you also throw in the three managers (Cox, Torre, LaRussa), too. Should be a spectacular ceremony rife with great stories.
Biggio isn't a hall of famer. I'm sure he'll get in, because the voters seem to just count hits but Biggio in my mind was not a top player or hall of famer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Biggio isn't a hall of famer. I'm sure he'll get in, because the voters seem to just count hits but Biggio in my mind was not a top player or hall of famer
Albert Belle is also a hall of famer but he's not even close to getting in. This whole thing is a joke.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,964,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Albert Belle is also a hall of famer but he's not even close to getting in. This whole thing is a joke.
.295 average
1726 H
381 HR
1,239 RBI

Belle isn't a hall of famer any more than Dale Murphy is. (.265 average, 2111 H, 398 HR, 1,266 RBI)

These aren't HoF statistics.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,107,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I believe it was Wade Boggs who said "It's like he has a crystal ball in his glove. When he knows you aren't going to swing he'll throw one right down the middle."

I love pitchers who play chess at a Master's level, and Maddux was the King of this. I'd use this as an analogy: Walt Frazier, once retired, admitted if he could stop the opposing guard without stealing a ball he could steal in the 1st quarter, he woul do that. Not steal, just stop him from hitting a shot. reason: Guard dribbles that way with minutes to go in game, Frazier steals ball, and gets an easy layup. That was GM on a mound. Always letting the batter hold the illusion he was so easy to hit hard..the result again and again, ground ball 4-3 as batter took a vicious cut, and ball was just a millimeter away from the sweet spot.

As a Met fan, I always felt they had a shot down a few runs to Glavine or Smoltz. But not Maddux.give him a lead, its like giving a top Tennis player a break. The set was over.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
.295 average
1726 H
381 HR
1,239 RBI

Belle isn't a hall of famer any more than Dale Murphy is. (.265 average, 2111 H, 398 HR, 1,266 RBI)

These aren't HoF statistics.
He's not a hall of famer if you only want to put guys who hang around for 20+ years to reach some arbitrary number of hits/homers so some ignorant writer will vote for him no matter what.
Voted Best Offensive Player at his position 4 years in a row(and 5 times). Top 10 MVP 5 times

Old 01-12-2014, 10:00 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,713,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
As a Met fan, I always felt they had a shot down a few runs to Glavine or Smoltz. But not Maddux.give him a lead, its like giving a top Tennis player a break. The set was over.
If all the BBWAA members were Mets fans, Glavine wouldn't have been a first-ballot HoFer

Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If all the BBWAA members were Mets fans, Glavine wouldn't have been a first-ballot HoFer
Doubtful. I agree with Glavine getting in as well, although he was not as fine a pitcher as Maddux. Neither was Smoltz. But both deserve to be in the HOF, their first time elgible.

GM & a lead seemed an impossible task. As for Smoltz & Glavine, in both cases, the one down runs was a decisive underdog, but not DOA.
Yet if you went strictly by how intimidating the pitches were, you'd have though GM was the easiest to hit. That is what chess master pitchers do.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,964,921 times
Quote:
Doubtful. I agree with Glavine getting in as well, although he was not as fine a pitcher as Maddux. Neither was Smoltz. But both deserve to be in the HOF, their first time elgible.
Absolutely. Glavine won 300 games... he's well deserved of his 1st ballot election. He wasn't as fine a pitcher as Maddux but he was still a great pitcher. The 1-0 win over the Indians in 1995 Game 6 was a dominant performance over a dominant lineup.

It's just unfortunate that Smoltz played 1 more season than Glavine and Maddux otherwise the trio of Braves aces would have went in this year along with Bobby Cox.

Smoltz will get elected next year 1st ballot... unless the writers decide to exclude the only pitcher in history with 200 wins and 150 saves.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,713,880 times
Quote:

GM & a lead seemed an impossible task. As for Smoltz & Glavine, in both cases, the one down runs was a decisive underdog, but not DOA.
Yet if you went strictly by how intimidating the pitches were, you'd have though GM was the easiest to hit. That is what chess master pitchers do.
You missed the point and I'm guessing didn't click the link. Glavine's last game as a Met was a complete choke job - shelled in the 1st inning - eliminating the Mets from a play-in game and completing a historic collapse. Thus Mets fans don't have a lot of love for the guy compared to non-Mets fans. Which is different from saying whether he's qualified for the HoF.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
You missed the point and I'm guessing didn't click the link. Glavine's last game as a Met was a complete choke job - shelled in the 1st inning - eliminating the Mets from a play-in game and completing a historic collapse. Thus Mets fans don't have a lot of love for the guy compared to non-Mets fans. Which is different from saying whether he's qualified for the HoF.
As a Met fan, I remember that game, but it was overrated. A terrible performance, but the preceding 2 weeks is what made it make or break.

That one game alone , though, is hardly a make or break factor towards HOF consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or