U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,962,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
You missed the point and I'm guessing didn't click the link. Glavine's last game as a Met was a complete choke job - shelled in the 1st inning - eliminating the Mets from a play-in game and completing a historic collapse. Thus Mets fans don't have a lot of love for the guy compared to non-Mets fans. Which is different from saying whether he's qualified for the HoF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
As a Met fan, I remember that game, but it was overrated. A terrible performance, but the preceding 2 weeks is what made it make or break.

That one game alone , though, is hardly a make or break factor towards HOF consideration.
He could have choked the last 20 games for the Mets... the fact he won 305 games was a ticket to the HoF.

How many 300 game winners aren't enshrined?

Speaking of Mets love, how exactly do you guys feel about Chipper Jones? He'll be a 1st ballot guy in a few years as well and he did name his kid Shea because he loved putting it to the Mets for so many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,710,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
He could have choked the last 20 games for the Mets... the fact he won 305 games was a ticket to the HoF.

How many 300 game winners aren't enshrined?

Speaking of Mets love, how exactly do you guys feel about Chipper Jones? He'll be a 1st ballot guy in a few years as well and he did name his kid Shea because he loved putting it to the Mets for so many years.
A better question would be Beltran - who's right up there with Glavine on the clutch time chokes in Mets history.

I was at one of the stretch games with the Larry Fine (3 Stooges) pictures being hung in the upper deck and the booming Larry chants. Couldn't fluster the guy. I'd put him in, but not necessarily on 1st ballot - depends who else is going in that year. Kinda wish the Mets had got him a coonhound for his going away gift - one that would take a dump on his rug soon as they got home

Anyway, ancient history to me. Moved to Pgh 12 years ago and now enjoying Bucs and PNC.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM

18,677 posts, read 17,094,161 times
Quote:
A better question would be Beltran - who's right up there with Glavine on the clutch time chokes in Mets history..
IMO, Beltran is not a HOFer. Great postseason (one), some very good years, but not enough of them. Too many injury prone, far less than full years.

Now if he stays as productive as now until age 45..hmmm..

Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,962,224 times
Quote:
I was at one of the stretch games with the Larry Fine (3 Stooges) pictures being hung in the upper deck and the booming Larry chants. Couldn't fluster the guy. I'd put him in, but not necessarily on 1st ballot - depends who else is going in that year. Kinda wish the Mets had got him a coonhound for his going away gift - one that would take a dump on his rug soon as they got home
LOL...

IMHO he's a 1st ballot HOFer... .303 BA, 2726 H, 468 HR, 1623 RBI... As a switch hitter. Also got the 1999 MVP and 2008 batting title at age 36.

His numbers are comparable to both Mantle and Murray who were 1st ballot elections. A no brainer really.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:33 PM

5,305 posts, read 2,705,825 times
I'm surprised Maddux didn't get 100% of the vote. I mean, just his 18 gold gloves would be enough to get into the hall let alone everything else he accomplished.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,659,326 times
Next years ballot includes Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and John Smoltz (all of whom should be elected in their first go around).

The next ballot includes Ken Griffey Jr and Trevor Hoffmann.

2017 is a slow year with only fringe candidates like Ivan Rodriguez, Vlad Guerrero, and Manny Ramirez,

2018 is Chipper Jones

2019 is Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettite, and Roy Halladay.

That's some pretty stiff competition for the next 5 years, especially for players like Bagwell, Piazza, and Biggio to get in. If the writers stay to their usual course and elect no more than 3 people a year, the earliest one of them could get in would be 2016 (and that would be only 1 of them). There are also chances that the writers will only elect 1-2 players a year in years like 2017 and 2018.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM

12,204 posts, read 10,441,159 times
Biggio & Piazza should both be in as catchers with great offensive numbers. Bagwell is more on the cusp. The others I'm more neutral over...the writers made three solid choices this year. And I personally couldn't care less about percentages of votes...they don't post them on the player's plaque.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:06 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,614,812 times
The problem is that the baseball writers have too much input on this. I think a real HoF process ought to have a little bit of input from writers, league executives, and former players and managers who actually competed against these guys. I'm okay with announcers and writers being involved, but I don't think they should have as much input as they do.

The writer who refused to vote for anyone in the so-called steroid era ought to be removed from the voting process. I mean, what an egotistical, bloviating nonsense is that anyway? I suppose we should suspend the Pulitzer Prize until we can be absolutely sure that nobody's plagiarizing.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:59 AM

41,203 posts, read 18,619,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

The writer who refused to vote for anyone in the so-called steroid era ought to be removed from the voting process. I mean, what an egotistical, bloviating nonsense is that anyway? I suppose we should suspend the Pulitzer Prize until we can be absolutely sure that nobody's plagiarizing.
Yeah, how dare they deny the bestowing of an honor, which they control, upon a group of people who made millions of dollars and received the cheers of millions while defrauding them by cheating, and then spending years denying this in public.

I would remind everyone that the Baseball HoF is not a public asset, it is not even an owned asset of MLB, it is a privately owned museum in Cooperstown, NY and the owners and operators of that museum are free to run it in any legal manner that they wish. They selected the baseball writers to be the voters and trusted to their judgment, who should be honored and who should not.

Those writers have made a collective decision not to honor the cheats and liars.

I think that they made the right decision. You apparently think that these frauds deserve more public applause. Instead of condemning the cheats, you would condemn those who condemn the cheats.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:05 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,094,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Those writers have made a collective decision not to honor the cheats and liars.

I think that they made the right decision. You apparently think that these frauds deserve more public applause. Instead of condemning the cheats, you would condemn those who condemn the cheats.
18 did not vote for Maddux. Get real. I agree they should distrust offensive players stats, but, if anything, pitchers stats, by and large, were worsened by illegal substances used by offensive players.

That makes Maddux's record MORE HOF worthy, not less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or