Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Simple one! All NEW deals must contain specific clauses. Besides the current suspension terms, any offense automatically leads to team option to cancel the contract. Any illegal use leads to 1 year suspension. Second violation is permanent suspension.
You write "simple" as though all that is required is a decision and declaration by MLB.

The business does not work that way, any rules regarding contracts are subject to the negotiated approval of the MLBPA. The union members are naturally not going to favor a rule which allows their employers to unilaterally rip up or cancel multi million dollar contracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
IMO the first offense is not enough of a deterrent. They will do it as long as they don't get caught that first time. After watching 60 minutes last Sunday, it looks like it is easy to not get caught. I think the first offense has to be more harsh. I think your 2nd offense would be a good first offense.
i agree to an extent, i was just trying to come up with a slight modification to what's currently in place. not that the union would agree to my proposal, but they definitely wouldn't agree to first offense being that...so maybe we have to climb our way to that, i don't know.

the bigger point I'm also trying to make is you have to hit them in the pocket. the fines should probably be much larger also.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:15 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Simple one! All NEW deals must contain specific clauses. Besides the current suspension terms, any offense automatically leads to team option to cancel the contract. Any illegal use leads to 1 year suspension. Second violation is permanent suspension.
Teams should not be rewarded for having their players use steroids. The MLBPA would not agree to this and for good reason.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:28 AM

462 posts, read 427,485 times
No sport is going to be clean of PEDs because the creators of these drugs will always be ahead of the testing, and there will always be players who will value the rewards over possible penalties of being caught.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You write "simple" as though all that is required is a decision and declaration by MLB.

The business does not work that way, any rules regarding contracts are subject to the negotiated approval of the MLBPA. The union members are naturally not going to favor a rule which allows their employers to unilaterally rip up or cancel multi million dollar contracts.
Years ago a guy named Ricky Henderson (sarcasm) put a little stipulation in his contract. It stated that he had to be paid the top 10% for his position for the life of the deal. At the time he signed it, he was in the top 10. As it moved along guys like Barry Bonds started to get raises which knocked him out. This in turn activated the clause. This also lead to quickly escalating contracts with similar clauses which we have seen over many years.

Now if you remember correctly, a TON of contracts currently contain ethics clauses in all sports. I'm not saying that existing contracts should be changed, but new ones should have the wording. As is, if a guy is busted the suspensions would go into affect. So why not be able to void contracts based on failing a medical test? If it was on the line, i'm sure the sample could be sent to MLBPA testing lab to confirm the results and yes, the business does work this way. There are stipulations that are not common in all contracts that do have to meet approval and do. I honestly don't think the players association would have an issue with this if it were a new rule. It gives the game a better shot at integrity and much less of a chance of doubt from fans. Remember the Steroid Era? Do you see whats happening with the HOF votes? Way too many people doubting people from that time. I am in no way a Piazza fan but many people are suspicious of him and it has affected his total. That and being a one dimensional player (offense only).

Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Teams should not be rewarded for having their players use steroids. The MLBPA would not agree to this and for good reason.
How do you think that a team is being rewarded? Sometimes you sign a free agent and then you find out he is a cheater. This is not rewarding the team, it is punishing the offender and taking away his nice contract. The players association might fight it but then again, they might agree that this is a good way to re-establish the respect for players in the game. It would lessen the offenders and keep the cheaters out. Would the association rather deal with a couple of voided contracts or perception by the public that there are loads of cheaters in baseball which could lead to loss in revenue by fans that bail out on a game full of cheaters?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i agree to an extent, i was just trying to come up with a slight modification to what's currently in place. not that the union would agree to my proposal, but they definitely wouldn't agree to first offense being that...so maybe we have to climb our way to that, i don't know.

the bigger point I'm also trying to make is you have to hit them in the pocket. the fines should probably be much larger also.
Well if the cheating player gets a 6 year contract at 20 mil a year, then the risk of getting a fine is worth it to them. That is why maybe a calender year long ban for the first offense might, and I say might make them think about it.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
No sport is going to be clean of PEDs because the creators of these drugs will always be ahead of the testing, and there will always be players who will value the rewards over possible penalties of being caught.
I agree with you, that is why the punishment for the first offense has to be so sever that no one will want to take the risk.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 AM

462 posts, read 427,485 times
I honestly don't care if guys are using or not.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
I honestly don't care if guys are using or not.
This wouldn't matter too much if records weren't involved. If it is a level playing field, then all could cheat. The fact that there are existing records that we acknowledge throws everything off. Does Bonds have the homerun record or does Hank Aaron, who we perceive was clean? If everyone had been using from day 1, then it wouldn't matter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball