U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,888,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
A farm system is a great thing and the Sox might be stocked but that means nothing now. Everyone knows that depth can be acquired anytime especially for large market teams like the Sox or Yankees.
The Yankees mantra has been "buy" vs build. They have paid very little attention to their farm system and they're old. Where is the equivalent of their teams in the mid-1990s that produced the likes of Jetrer? They don't exist. Who is the homegrown heir to the SS position?

So the Yankees will pay someone major money to bring them in via free agency. Frankly, the smart move would have been to sign Drew and move Jeter to 3B this season, but Jeter cares more about himself than he does his team Either that or Girardi and Cashman are idiots.

Quote:
Pedroia is 'JUST As LIKELY' to get injured as Jeter or Texeira. .
I have to completely disagree with you here. Pedroia has not been prone to injury. He lost time in 2010 due to a bone fracture in his foot. Other than that, he's been out there almost every game...every season. He's notorious for playing through minor injuries, unlike many other players.

Pedroia has played close to 160 games every season with 157 in his 2008 MVP year, 154 in 2009, 159 in 2011, and 160 in 2013 with a torn ligament. His worst season was 75 games in 2010 when he broke his foot. Other than that he played 139 in his rookie of the year season in 2007, and 141 in 2012 when Bobby V liked to move around the infield and wanted to "rest" his veterans more.

Quote:
Right now the starting staff is Sabathia, Kuroda, Tanaka, Nova, and Pineda (most likely) with Robertson probably being inserted as the closer unless they pick up an established one. now tell me who has a better top 5 starting staff? If Pineda is healthy, there isn't a better staff in baseball.
I would make the case there are plenty of other teams with better starting rotations, including the Red Sox, Cardinals, Braves, Dodgers, and Rays.

You assume that CC will pitch more like his years in 2009, 2010, or 2011 than the CC we saw last year. Maybe...let's find out.

You also assume that Tanaka will come here and be the guy they think he will be. It doesn't always work out, especially in a media pressure cooker like NY. We'll see.

Kuroda may be good for 12-14 wins (his best season was 16-11)...his historic average. Last season he was 11-13. We'll see if the new lineup and defense helps or hurts his cause. With Jeter at SS, Johnson at 2B, and <insert fill in here> for 3B, I'm not expecting the Yanks to be a top 10 defense in the infield.

Pineda hasn't shown anything. If he pitches as Seattle expected, then he could be a great #4. If he pitches as many people expect, it could be a mixed bag. Same for Nova.

Robertson has not shown he can close, and in fact has shown glimpses of the opposite. He will not be the "automatic" that Mariano Rivera was for so many years. The Yankees will be vulnerable in the 9th inning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,018,687 times
Seattle Mariners will win it all .................................................. ...

in a 120 years from now .

Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 AM

307 posts, read 316,730 times
San Diego in 7 games over the White Sox.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,333,773 times
Always have to give my boys a nod . . . Go Giants!!!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:48 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,191,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The Yankees mantra has been "buy" vs build. They have paid very little attention to their farm system and they're old. Where is the equivalent of their teams in the mid-1990s that produced the likes of Jetrer? They don't exist. Who is the homegrown heir to the SS position?

So the Yankees will pay someone major money to bring them in via free agency. Frankly, the smart move would have been to sign Drew and move Jeter to 3B this season, but Jeter cares more about himself than he does his team Either that or Girardi and Cashman are idiots.

I have to completely disagree with you here. Pedroia has not been prone to injury. He lost time in 2010 due to a bone fracture in his foot. Other than that, he's been out there almost every game...every season. He's notorious for playing through minor injuries, unlike many other players.

Pedroia has played close to 160 games every season with 157 in his 2008 MVP year, 154 in 2009, 159 in 2011, and 160 in 2013 with a torn ligament. His worst season was 75 games in 2010 when he broke his foot. Other than that he played 139 in his rookie of the year season in 2007, and 141 in 2012 when Bobby V liked to move around the infield and wanted to "rest" his veterans more.

I would make the case there are plenty of other teams with better starting rotations, including the Red Sox, Cardinals, Braves, Dodgers, and Rays.

You assume that CC will pitch more like his years in 2009, 2010, or 2011 than the CC we saw last year. Maybe...let's find out.

You also assume that Tanaka will come here and be the guy they think he will be. It doesn't always work out, especially in a media pressure cooker like NY. We'll see.

Kuroda may be good for 12-14 wins (his best season was 16-11)...his historic average. Last season he was 11-13. We'll see if the new lineup and defense helps or hurts his cause. With Jeter at SS, Johnson at 2B, and <insert fill in here> for 3B, I'm not expecting the Yanks to be a top 10 defense in the infield.

Pineda hasn't shown anything. If he pitches as Seattle expected, then he could be a great #4. If he pitches as many people expect, it could be a mixed bag. Same for Nova.

Robertson has not shown he can close, and in fact has shown glimpses of the opposite. He will not be the "automatic" that Mariano Rivera was for so many years. The Yankees will be vulnerable in the 9th inning.
Damn you're a hater.

Jeter was never injury prone either but had issues the last year or two so Pedroia could be considered equally likely to be injured.
I do think signing a young guy like Drew long term might have made more sense especially long term but we will see what happens after this year. They desperately have wanted Nunez to take over but they don't totally trust his defense.
You commented on the Yankee farm system and buying players but over the years the Yankee teams have gone through patterns of homegrowns and then buying. It has been an up and down thing. The sox have done this too. Remember that the years that the Yankees were winning in the late 90's to the early 2000's they had a lot of homegrown talent including Jeter, Petitte, Mo, Posada and Bernie. Then they added role players. When they added the huge names it's when it fell apart. Guys like Tartabull never helped and Arod might be the biggest bust and disgrace ever whether he used during his Yankee years or not.

What's most important about Kuroda is his ERA. If the Yankees can't hold a lead for him or put 4 or 5 runs on the board, it says alot. His ERA over the last few years has been great. He did lose quite a few low scoring games.
CC has supposedly lost some weight and looks good. Will he be an elite again? Who knows. Will he have a year like last year? Highly unlikely.
Pineda if he is healthy has a ton of potential and in Seattle he looked very good.
Tanaka was undefeated with over 20 wins in Japan. do I think he will do the same hear? Highly unlikely. Do I see him winning 14 or more? A very good chance especially in his 1st year when hitters haven't seen him live yet.

As a relief pitcher/setup man Robertson was dominant but the few times that he tried to close, he looked very average. Do I think he could be the closer...yes. As good as Mo? No one will ever be as dominant. Honestly, I still think there is a strong chance that they bring in an established closer and that is my gut feeling.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 PM

127 posts, read 141,113 times
What closer will the Yankees bring in at this point? It might take 200 years for a baseball team to take as big of a hit to the closer and 2B positions as the Yankees have in 2014. This coming off a year when they weren't even one of the two wildcard teams. And they won many more games than they should have last year.

If the ball bounces the right way for them a few times, maybe a bad non-reviewable call or too thrown in, and an unheard of season of no key injuries, the Yankees might remain the third best team in the AL East.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,198 times
National League Contenders:
LA Dodgers (w/ a full rotation and more $$$ for bats, they should win it all)
SF Giants (they're back and they're pissed)
St. Louis (young arms but might be missing some wood)

American League
New York Yankees?
Detroit
Boston

I've got a baaad feeling it'll be NYY vs LAD

Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
The Yankees and Giants won't even make the playoffs. It will be Boston, Oakland and Detroit in the AL and LA, StL, and either Washington or Atlanta in the NL. In other words, few surprises compared to last year, except in the wild card races.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Status: "Moon landing 50th anniversary July 20." (set 1 day ago)

46,884 posts, read 37,062,575 times
Might as well get my 2014 season and World Series predictions for you, since we don't really have a 2014 season thread yet.

Here's the link. http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...ions-2014.html

Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Might as well get my 2014 season and World Series predictions for you, since we don't really have a 2014 season thread yet.

Here's the link. http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...ions-2014.html
I like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball