U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Major League Baseball Stadium
Angel Stadium - Anaheim 0 0%
AT&T Park - San Francisco 7 5.15%
Busch Stadium - St. Louis 7 5.15%
Camden Yards - Baltimore 7 5.15%
Chase Field - Phoenix 1 0.74%
Citi Field - New York City 1 0.74%
Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia 5 3.68%
Colliseum - Oakland 1 0.74%
Comerica Park - Detroit 2 1.47%
Coors Field - Denver 4 2.94%
Dodgers Stadium - Los Angeles 5 3.68%
Fenway Park - Boston 11 8.09%
Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati 3 2.21%
Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City 5 3.68%
Marlins Park - Miami 1 0.74%
Miller Park -Milwaukee 3 2.21%
Minute Maid Park - Houston 2 1.47%
Nationals Park - Washington DC 0 0%
Petco Park - San Diego 5 3.68%
PNC Park - Pittsburgh 14 10.29%
Progressive Field - Cleveland 2 1.47%
Rangers Ballpark - Arlington (Dallas/Fort Worth) 4 2.94%
Rogers Center (Skydome) - Toronto 1 0.74%
Safeco Field - Seattle 9 6.62%
Target Field - Minneapolis 17 12.50%
Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay) 0 0%
Turner Field - Atlanta 4 2.94%
US Cellular Field - Chicago 0 0%
Wrigley Field - Chicago 11 8.09%
Yankee Stadium - New York City 4 2.94%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM

1,038 posts, read 588,716 times

Advertisements

I've been to 29 of the 30. Only Atlanta is the missing stadium. I will get there one of these years but it's not an urgent priority. My top two parks are SF Giants (Oracle Park, formerly AT&T Park but I love its original name, Pac Bell Park), and Pittsburgh Pirates (PNC Park). Far and away they are #1 and #2 for me. As a Giants fan I am biased, but ours is a truly beautiful park and setting.

Others high on the list are:
Fenway Park and Wrigley Field -- the two shrines of MLB. Classic ball parks.
Petco Park in San Diego
Miller Park in Milwaukee
Kauffman Stadium in KC

The worst so far? Tampa Bay Rays (Tropicana Field; although the Ray Tank in CF is quite unique) and Chicago White Sox (US Cellular Field, now called Guaranteed Rate Field).

Weirdest MLB park experience? Easily, it's the Florida Marlins. Out in LF there's a club called The Clevelander. It's a topless bar and the topless girls (sure they're wearing pasties) are dancing. ::shakes head:: As a former Marine having served 13 years I visited some similar bars in my youth but to see that at an MLB stadium is just SO WRONG.

I had to go through the bar to sit in the LF seats that are RIGHT THERE, at field level, and only a chain link fence separates you from the left fielder. And that is a pretty cool experience. But topless dancers at an MLB ballpark? Just No.

ETA: to enter that club you have to pay a cover charge, but after the (7th?) inning it is free IIRC. Adults only bar, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM

1,007 posts, read 876,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I've been to 29 of the 30. Only Atlanta is the missing stadium. I will get there one of these years but it's not an urgent priority. My top two parks are SF Giants (Oracle Park, formerly AT&T Park but I love its original name, Pac Bell Park), and Pittsburgh Pirates (PNC Park). Far and away they are #1 and #2 for me. As a Giants fan I am biased, but ours is a truly beautiful park and setting.

Others high on the list are:
Fenway Park and Wrigley Field -- the two shrines of MLB. Classic ball parks.
Petco Park in San Diego
Miller Park in Milwaukee
Kauffman Stadium in KC

The worst so far? Tampa Bay Rays (Tropicana Field; although the Ray Tank in CF is quite unique) and Chicago White Sox (US Cellular Field, now called Guaranteed Rate Field).

Weirdest MLB park experience? Easily, it's the Florida Marlins. Out in LF there's a club called The Clevelander. It's a topless bar and the topless girls (sure they're wearing pasties) are dancing. ::shakes head:: As a former Marine having served 13 years I visited some similar bars in my youth but to see that at an MLB stadium is just SO WRONG.

I had to go through the bar to sit in the LF seats that are RIGHT THERE, at field level, and only a chain link fence separates you from the left fielder. And that is a pretty cool experience. But topless dancers at an MLB ballpark? Just No.

ETA: to enter that club you have to pay a cover charge, but after the (7th?) inning it is free IIRC. Adults only bar, of course.
That's cool that you've been to so many ballparks. I'd like to go on road trips to visit stadiums around the country.

Some of my favorites based on my views on the TV screen include:

Target Field in Minneapolis: modern, innovative design with some of the good features of the retro-classic parks.

Petco Park in San Diego: The ballpark looks great and the city view is one of the most impressive.

PNC Park in Pittsburgh: Probably the best of the retro-classic designs. Intimate seating and a great city view.

I also like Baltimore's, Cleveland's and Detroit's versions of the classic stadium designs.

I can't help but think that San Francisco's park is a bit overrated. Sure, the setting is breathtaking, but is the stadium design all that distinctive or interesting?

I see you haven't been to Atlanta's ballpark. It's a really nice place to see a game - not a bad seat in the house - but the exterior design is underwhelming. I agree with a reviewer who wrote that the red brick exterior is "an unforgivably safe design choice for 2017."

The Battery development surrounding the stadium in Atlanta makes for a very lively, fun environment - lots of bars & restaurants and gathering places, including a small park and an area accessible to fans where the Braves TV crew does their pre- and post-game broadcasts.

Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM

5,956 posts, read 6,573,784 times
Top four (going east to west to avoid ranking these four winners in any way)

The two classics that deserve equal billing; the two best retro parks, coming the closest to the feel of the classics of the early 20th century...PNC gives the greatest retro feel due to its small capacity and only two decks around the baselines.

Fenway Park, Boston
PNC Park, Pittsburgh
Wrigley Field, Chicago
Oracle Park, San Francisco

to me, there would be a pretty decent sized gap between them and the second tier which I would give to..Target Field comes closest to the above. Camden Yards started the retro parks, still a standard to be met...that warehouse! Dodger Stadium earned its stripes, unique, captures the spirit of LA. MLB's third oldest park is something special. In the Beast of the East vs. The Best of the West, LA and Dodger Stadium trump (pun intended) NY and Yankee Stadium.

Target Field, Minneapolis
Camden Yards, Baltimore
Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles

(gap)

Petco Park, San Diego
Kaufmann Stadium, Kansas City

Good...

YS gets no better than "good". It looks like trying to get Dodger Stadium seating into the shell of old YS. This place could (should) be called Corporate Park...something one would never say about the old Yankee Stadium. Busch with move up with more intimacy, which means fewer seats.

Yankee Stadium, New York
Progressive Field, Cleveland
Sun Trust Park, Atlanta
Comerica Park, Detroit
Busch Stadium, St. Louis
Safeco Field, Seattle
Minute Maid Park, Houston

just ok

why all that ghastly signage in Citi's outfield? Sox Park actually has improved with time, made much more attractive; this park gets much higher marks than many people think.

Guaranteed Rate, Chicago
Citifield, New York
Great American Ballpark, Cincinnati
Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia
Coors Field, Denver
Miller Park, Milwaukee
Globe Life Park, Arlington (Globe Life Field would probably get a "good" from me, maybe even second tier)
Angel Stadium, Anaheim

Poor... If the words "Blah" or "Meh" weren't invented for DC's ballpark, what were they invented for?

Chase Field, Phoenix
Nationals Park, Washington

Bottom Tier...

If SF went from one of the worst to one of the best with a new ballpark smack on the west side of the bay, Oakland could accomplish the same in the east given the renderings of their proposed ballpark near Jack London Square. Given their attendance, the Rays are dead already; Tropicana Field is appropriate: looks and feels like a tomb. Montreal lost its Expos. Tampa Bay may soon lose its lifeless team, the Expireds.

Coliseum, Oakland
Tropicana Field, St. Pete
Rogers Centre, Toronto
Marlins Park, Miami

Last edited by edsg25; Yesterday at 06:26 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM

8,066 posts, read 16,108,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Dodger Stadium is unique. Fenway and Wrigley are the same era, not unique. Both only exist because of a legacy of losing and being financially unable to replace the stadium, and both try to pass off poor design and discomfort as "historic."
This is a pretty hot take. I know not everyone enjoys the experience of Fenway or Wrigley, but I don't know many people who would call them "not unique." Yes, they're only a few years apart, but they're not really at all similar. Oracle Park and PNC park opened a year apart and people are repeatedly naming them as the best. So I'm not sure how being from the same era is an issue. I don't think anyone here will argue that Fenway or Wrigley is the most comfortable park, but they aren't being "passed off" as anything. They are historic. Fenway opened the same week the Titanic sank. They represent the golden age of America's Pastime and have played host to many, many, many of the game's greatest icons. You don't like either? That's completely understandable. But it does seem disingenuous to be so dismissive of what they bring to the table. Many people don't like Fenway (or Wrigley) and I certainly understand why anyone would choose a modern stadium over one of the classics. But I think it's kind of ridiculous to say that they're "not unique."

I actually have enjoyed my two experiences at Dodger Stadium, so I'm not knocking it. But if Fenway and Wrigley aren't "unique" because they are the same era, then Dodger Stadium isn't "unique" because it's the same era as Angel Stadium. I don't actually believe that, but that's the problem with your logic. Dodger Stadium is a fine park, but I'm just not sure how most people would quantify it as the best.

*Edited to add*
I agree with Tropicana as the worst. It's my least favorite by a big margin. Oakland Colosseum is up there too - the dual purpose stuff takes away a lot of the intimacy of the experience. The place feels cavernous.

Last edited by lrfox; Yesterday at 06:47 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

16 posts, read 1,330 times
Of the parks I've been to;
I voted for Petco in the Poll.
My home area parks Yankee and Citi are both great.
For some reason I really like Anaheim, though the exterior is showing it's age. Dodger is great as well.
Wrigley and Fenway of course were fun.
Camden, Safeco, Comerica, AT&T, Turner Field all looked and felt the same.
1st time at Chase about a month ago, though it was great.

The worst/ugliest attended - Kingdome and Shea, saw Olympic from the outside - hideous.

Old Today, 08:06 AM

1,038 posts, read 588,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
That's cool that you've been to so many ballparks. I'd like to go on road trips to visit stadiums around the country.
I visited many ballparks on business trips that I extended by a day to catch the game. For me it was a good way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or