U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 02:42 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,718,699 times

Advertisements

New York Mets icon Ralph Kiner has died at age 91 - ESPN New York

Sad to see him go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 PM

16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
A HOFer that rarely gets talked about on this forum with the exception of his long time association with the New York Mets as their broadcaster. In his day as a player he was a great baseball player who played for three clubs, most notably with the Pittsburgh Pirates, who retired his number 4.

379 home runs in ten seasons doesn't sound like HOF stats but he had severe back problems the last few seasons of his career but in the earlier part of his career he led the National League in home runs 6 times and hit 54 home runs in one year. He went into the HOF in 1975. He credited Hank Greenberg for furthering his career as Greenberg wrapped up his career with Pittsburgh in 1947. He was close friends with him until Greenberg passed in 1984. In the ESPN Sport Century one hour bio of Greenberg, Kiner was quoted as saying "Hank taught me more than just baseball. He taught me how to live-how to live the right way."

Old 02-08-2014, 04:13 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,183 times
His retired at 32 saying he knew he didn't have it anymore. Yet in that final season he still hit a HR every 20 PAs and finished with an .818 OPS. Today we pay that guy about $8 million.

When he retired, he was #2 in HR/PA behind only Ruth. He had a pretty awesome Bonds-like seven year run while being pitched around regularly. Although people note that he struck out a lot for his time, he drew more walks than Ks in 8 of his 10 years, leading MLB in walks in 3 of those seasons.

I was driving home to Pittsburgh from NY the afternoon he passed. I grew up a Mets fan in CT and listened to the Kiner/Murphy/Nelson announcing team for 15 years. The guests on WFAN who talked about Ralph all had great stories and listening to them brought back a lot of fond childhood memories. Seemed like a great guy. Unlike most other HoFers, I've never heard a bad thing said about him.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,878,189 times
Sad. I grew up in Queens, NY and during the '70s is when my love for baseball was formed as a child. My dad took me to Shea Stadium and I watched the Mets on WOR as many games as I could. One of things I remember most about watching those games was Ralph Kiner, Lindsey Nelson, and Bob Murphy. Kiner's Korner was a staple of each home game.

I never knew Ralph Kiner, but I feel like I did based on the hours I spent watching and listening to him on TV. Sad, and reminds me that time moves on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or