Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever played Strat-O-Matic baseball? I just got done playing a few games with my wife and I'm hooked and I cannot wait to play against other people. Now I am talking about the board game, I haven't played the online version yet. This is coming from a guy who dislikes board games but I love baseball so it works perfect. Now first off start out by playing basic if you choose to this has to be the most complex board game I have ever seen. The even accounts for different stadiums and injuries and base stealing and holding runners on. I highly recommend this game!!!

Baseball | the Strat-O-Matic Game Co.

the Strat-O-Matic Game Co.[0]=1

Doug on "Strat-O-Matic" | Doug Glanville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM

A look at Strat-o-Matic Baseball - YouTube

Some guys even build their own stadiums

Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Bob Costas talks Strat-O-Matic - YouTube

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM

460 posts, read 987,792 times
I'm not familiar with the game, really, but now you have made me curious. I just may have to check it out. Don't know anyone else who would be interested in playing, though.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I first got A Strat-o-Matic baseball game based on the 1964 season. I lost interest as I grew up but in the mid '70's I bought the game again and got hooked, first as a private hobby, the in a draft league which held together for 14 seasons.

The insight hit me that unlike live baseball, the Strat-O-Matic game was actually finite, with exacting odds which could be calculated if one took the trouble to do so.

I did. I was able to reduce every aspect of a player card into a single number for purposes of ranking them by actual value. Then in the draft I went for those players with the greatest gap in value by position. In short, I turned myself into the house, I stacked the odds in my favor by being the only one who knew the actual odds. The others all still treated it like it was no different from real baseball.

I wound up winning nine of the fourteen seasons we played, and tying for first in another, although then losing a three game playoff. The others all just thought I was lucky. I let them think that.

We didn't have rules concerning how much a player could be used, so I used to specialize in drafting lesser known players who had great partial seasons, and playing them full time. Glenallen Hill's 1993 card where he hit .345 with 15 home runs for the Cubs in just 93 plate appearances ( 1.157 OPS) was an MVP winner for me, and the all time league single season home run record (59) was set by my Jose Oliva 1994 card in which he had hit six home runs in 66 at bats. Dave Valle's 1986 Mariners card was another MVP winner for me, he had hit .340 with five home runs in 53 at bats. For my team he smacked .319 with 48 home runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball