Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It might not 100% be a Boston thing but the sentiment is big there. The classy people have the mutual respect between the Boston and NY rivalry. Obviously there are a lot of Yankee or even Jeter haters out there.
I don't see it as "hating" to speak honestly and frankly and not hero worship the guy. Pujols compares Jeter to Jesus...someone needs to call BS on that kind of stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't see it as "hating" to speak honestly and frankly and not hero worship the guy. Pujols compares Jeter to Jesus...someone needs to call BS on that kind of stupidity.
I do see hating and the fact that the Pujols line got you so riled up proves it. Comparing a baseball player or any other athlete to Jesus is a little ridiculous but the people that it pisses off are either way too religious or just a Jeter/Yankee haters.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Huge Derek Jeter fan. I agree that his career has been magnified by playing in the New York limelight, but before you jump on him for that, let's remember something: not everyone can handle that spotlight. NY's a pressure cooker like no other, and the guy just keeps producing year-in, year-out. A-Rod, who in many respects was a more talented player, could not handle the pressure of wearing the pinstripes. Jeter did. Again and again and again. Nothing more needs to be said. Jeter's a legend. Nobody else will ever wear #2 again.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I do see hating and the fact that the Pujols line got you so riled up proves it. Comparing a baseball player or any other athlete to Jesus is a little ridiculous but the people that it pisses off are either way too religious or just a Jeter/Yankee haters.
I'm an atheist. I also don't "hate" Jeter or anyone else I don't know. Please stop ascribing motives to people you don't know.

If my speaking frankly is too direct for you, then you might be the issue.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I'm an atheist. I also don't "hate" Jeter or anyone else I don't know. Please stop ascribing motives to people you don't know.

If my speaking frankly is too direct for you, then you might be the issue.
I'm an agnostic and have no issue. If you get too hung up on the word hate, that might be your own issue. From my perspective you have a dislike for the Yankees and your replies make that abundantly clear.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM

320 posts, read 539,093 times
Quote:
As a Red Sox fan, I think he was an above average offensive player, and one could even say a great offensive player. On defense, he was average at best.

I certainly would not put him in a category like some of these insane media people..."greatest player who ever lived."

If Jeter played his career in Kansas City or Milwaukee, he'd be regarded as a franchise player, and perhaps a great player, but the media hype in NY and around the Yankees blows his value way out of proportion.

I think that this argument gets way overblown when it comes to Jeter. I'll admit that the media does at times fall victim to hyperbole and hero worshipping when it comes to Jeter. But to say that he would not get the same accolades for the type of player that he is if he were in KC or any other small market team is a bit over the top as well. Put it this way; other than Cal Ripken (who I still would not take over Jeter), who has had a better career at shortstop in the modern baseball era?

To understand why Jeter is held in such high regard you would have to understand how awful the Yankees were before he got called up. In the 13 years prior to Jeter being called up, the Yankees were mediocre (at best) to dreadful. They hadn't been to the playoffs (although they were headed there in '94 before the strike) and they for the most part could not get out of their own way. They were like the LA Dodgers were before the a couple of years ago.

Jeter gets called up in '95 as a 20 yr old rookie and pretty much assumes a leadership role on one of the most storied franchises in baseball history. Granted he didn't carry the Yankees to from the cellar to a bunch of pennants by himself but he lead the way and all of the other great players that filtered through the organization followed his lead. I've been a Yankee fan my whole life and Jeter is not even my favorite Yankee of this latest ('95 - present) generation of Yankees but I do give him the bulk of the credit for the success the team had in the late 90's to mid 00's.

Without Jeter the Yanks would probably be like the NY Knicks have been for most of their time since their last championship in 1973 with no direction and zero prospects for success in the immediate future. There have been countless players come to NY and fold under the pressure and scrutiny the city puts its players through. To come in as a 20 yr old and steer a floundering franchise toward more than a decade of success is something that only the all-time greats can do.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Jeter has had a tremendous career, and is , well deserved, a 1st time HOFer, but Rivera was the most exceptional Yankee of this era. Another terrific all star quality SS of this era wins, IMO, the same quantity of rings substituted for Jeter, but swap out Mariano for another great closer, and I will not make that statement..as confidently.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Jeter has had a tremendous career, and is , well deserved, a 1st time HOFer, but Rivera was the most exceptional Yankee of this era. Another terrific all star quality SS of this era wins, IMO, the same quantity of rings substituted for Jeter, but swap out Mariano for another great closer, and I will not make that statement..as confidently.
I agree. Jeter was an excellent all around SS but Mariano was in a class all his own.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
It's still February, and I'm already sick of the Jeter fanfare, already dreading the 10 minutes which will be dedicated every night on ESPN & MLBTV between March and September.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
I think that this argument gets way overblown when it comes to Jeter. I'll admit that the media does at times fall victim to hyperbole and hero worshipping when it comes to Jeter. But to say that he would not get the same accolades for the type of player that he is if he were in KC or any other small market team is a bit over the top as well. Put it this way; other than Cal Ripken (who I still would not take over Jeter), who has had a better career at shortstop in the modern baseball era?

To understand why Jeter is held in such high regard you would have to understand how awful the Yankees were before he got called up. In the 13 years prior to Jeter being called up, the Yankees were mediocre (at best) to dreadful. They hadn't been to the playoffs (although they were headed there in '94 before the strike) and they for the most part could not get out of their own way. They were like the LA Dodgers were before the a couple of years ago.

Jeter gets called up in '95 as a 20 yr old rookie and pretty much assumes a leadership role on one of the most storied franchises in baseball history. Granted he didn't carry the Yankees to from the cellar to a bunch of pennants by himself but he lead the way and all of the other great players that filtered through the organization followed his lead. I've been a Yankee fan my whole life and Jeter is not even my favorite Yankee of this latest ('95 - present) generation of Yankees but I do give him the bulk of the credit for the success the team had in the late 90's to mid 00's.

Without Jeter the Yanks would probably be like the NY Knicks have been for most of their time since their last championship in 1973 with no direction and zero prospects for success in the immediate future. There have been countless players come to NY and fold under the pressure and scrutiny the city puts its players through. To come in as a 20 yr old and steer a floundering franchise toward more than a decade of success is something that only the all-time greats can do.
Excellent post,

I'm a BoSox fan so I pretty much booed Jeter since he was a rookie. But I always respected him. he was the glue that held the late 90's Yanks together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball