Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter announces on Facebook that the 2014 season will be his last.

"The 2014 season will be my last year playing professional baseball," the Yankees captain said in a 15-paragraph note on the social media site.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...-facebook-post

He probably wants out before Arod gets back.

Quote:
However, the Yankees say they have not yet been informed, according to a source.
Well now they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
I love most everything about baseball, but I hate these farewell tours. Three years in a row now: Chipper, Mariano, Jeter. To the next HoF-bound player getting ready to hang 'em up: Announce your decision in August or September, please.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I love most everything about baseball, but I hate these farewell tours. Three years in a row now: Chipper, Mariano, Jeter. To the next HoF-bound player getting ready to hang 'em up: Announce your decision in August or September, please.
The club owners do not feel this way, these retirement tours help sell more tickets.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM

32,098 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The good thing about that is that fans who haven't seen him play may make the extra effort to do so.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
As a Red Sox fan, I think he was an above average offensive player, and one could even say a great offensive player. On defense, he was average at best.

I certainly would not put him in a category like some of these insane media people..."greatest player who ever lived."

If Jeter played his career in Kansas City or Milwaukee, he'd be regarded as a franchise player, and perhaps a great player, but the media hype in NY and around the Yankees blows his value way out of proportion.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
As a Red Sox fan, I think he was an above average offensive player, and one could even say a great offensive player. On defense, he was average at best.

I certainly would not put him in a category like some of these insane media people..."greatest player who ever lived."

If Jeter played his career in Kansas City or Milwaukee, he'd be regarded as a franchise player, and perhaps a great player, but the media hype in NY and around the Yankees blows his value way out of proportion.
I'm not a Yankee fan but I think he is a great player. If he played for the Sox you would be worshiping him.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:

!00% disagree. He was an excellent hitter and CLUTCH when it counted. He was a very good fielder for many years but in the last few his range has dropped off. I do agree with Grandstander though and I think he wanted to end it before A-Roid returned and it is good that he announced it early because like someone else said, at least people can go see him play if they choose to do so.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 AM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Jeter mainly shined in the postseason, where he really knew how to turn it on (kinda like Reggie Jackson). Ask an A's fan

Old 02-14-2014, 09:30 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
This piece pretty much sums up my feelings. Maybe it's a Boston thing, but everyone was pretty pumped when Mariano retired and unanimous in the accolades, so I truly don't think it's a Boston thing.

Prepare for the insufferable Derek Jeter farewell party - Boston Sports Blog - Boston.com

Old 02-15-2014, 07:52 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
This piece pretty much sums up my feelings. Maybe it's a Boston thing, but everyone was pretty pumped when Mariano retired and unanimous in the accolades, so I truly don't think it's a Boston thing.

Prepare for the insufferable Derek Jeter farewell party - Boston Sports Blog - Boston.com
It might not 100% be a Boston thing but the sentiment is big there. The classy people have the mutual respect between the Boston and NY rivalry. Obviously there are a lot of Yankee or even Jeter haters out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball