U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:20 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,099,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
How is the cancellation of games after 9/11 a shameful event? Wasn't it meant to be a gesture of respect for the victims and an acknowledgement that something more important than baseball was taking place?

Let's bump that from the list and replace it with Calvin Griffin in 1961, explaining to a Minnesota Lions Club gathering why he decided to move the Washington Senators to Minnesota.

Calvin Griffith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
. MLB handled 9/11 superbly. I'm not a Selig fan, but I tip my cap to all MLB execs for the handling of 9/11. While we heard the "go shopping cry", Letterman's show was cancelled for a week. Broadway shut down. The nation properly was deeply affected. I'm a diehard MLB fan, but keeping MLB going was NOT vital. In the grand scheme of things, it was trivial relative to 9/11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,469,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Baseball's Ten Most Shameful Events
(Just my opinion)

1. Cap Anson forces baseball to ban Fleetwood Walker, creating a color bar that lasted 58 years in 3 pro sports.

2. The 1919 Black Sox World Series

3. Performance enhancing drugs.

4. The players strike that cancelled the 1994 World Series.

5. The Designated Hitter.

6. Bowie Kuhn awards playoff spots to Yankees and Dodgers at mid-season in 1981.

7. The asterisk on Roger Maris' record.

8. The cancellation of a week of games after 9-11.

9. Bud Selig declares a tie in the All Star Game.

10. A tie-breaking wild card game when there is no tie.

Honorable Mention: TV Networks controlling game scheduling and imposing blackouts.
To comment on #3, i believe what's more shameful that the use of substances that give players an "edge" is the singling out of certain guys while leaving other guys, who are just as guilty, alone.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 AM

41,238 posts, read 18,624,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
To comment on #3, i believe what's more shameful that the use of substances that give players an "edge" is the singling out of certain guys while leaving other guys, who are just as guilty, alone.
The "other guilty" players aren't being left alone because of some moral shortcoming on the part of MLB, it still remains necessary to actually catch them before convicting them.

The players who were "singled out" were the ones who got caught, not some list made up with a "Lets get these particular guys" motivation.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 AM

16,532 posts, read 21,009,154 times
Good choices by Jtur88, a few words about Roger Maris.

The MLB hierarcy, led by commissioner Ford Frick obviously became uncomfortable with the Maris/Mantle home run derby in 1961. Frick was totally out of line regarding the asterick. When Babe Ruth hit the 29 home runs in 1919, he had a lot of extra games to work with but nobody said anything about THAT. The American League record of 16 home runs was set by Ralph Seybold and it was done in 135 games (I think.) So Babe had 17 more games to work with.

Ford Frick was Babe Ruth's ghostwriter. It's easy for me to see why Frick did what he did.

And Maris was vilified for his efforts. And eventually was run out of town for his efforts. Mantle was the established star not only with the Yankees but MLB in general. Maris was just a second year Yankee. And the writers never let Maris forget it either.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM

52,095 posts, read 41,911,642 times
I'd add the exploding payroll disparity over the last 20 years to the list which even if some people blindly believe it doesn't really make that big of a difference, it's caused people to lose interest and give up on small market teams.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM

8,794 posts, read 5,680,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd add the exploding payroll disparity over the last 20 years to the list which even if some people blindly believe it doesn't really make that big of a difference, it's caused people to lose interest and give up on small market teams.
I stopped following baseball for about 14-16 years because I got tired of all millionairs publicly bickering about salary. Tell it to the kids who can't afford to games.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,456 times
There's always been a payroll disparity. Always will be. The only thing that changed was the elimination of the reserve clause, forcing the owners to spend what they bring in on players.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
There's always been a payroll disparity. Always will be. The only thing that changed was the elimination of the reserve clause, forcing the owners to spend what they bring in on players.
1990: Avg. payroll 17mil, Max payroll 24mil, Top 3 payrolls were 15% of total baseball payrolls.

2013: Avg payroll 105mil, Max 254mil, Top 3 are 37% of total payroll.

Saying there has "always been a disparity" is like pointing to Penn States drama and saying, "well there is always some controversy surrounding college football programs" no biggie!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,456 times
MLB has tried various things to even out talent availability so the best players all ending up on the Yankees and Dodgers. Now it's luxury tax and revenue sharing. Before that was the creation of the draft, and before that was the bonus baby rule. It's always been true that teams with more money coming in will spend money on players one way or another, whether it'd be on payroll or at the amateur level.

So far this thread has provoked comments on 9-11 and Jerry Sandusky raping children. Anybody want to mention O.J.'s wife or the Holocaust while we're at it?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
MLB has tried various things to even out talent availability so the best players all ending up on the Yankees and Dodgers. Now it's luxury tax and revenue sharing. Before that was the creation of the draft, and before that was the bonus baby rule. It's always been true that teams with more money coming in will spend money on players one way or another, whether it'd be on payroll or at the amateur level.

So far this thread has provoked comments on 9-11 and Jerry Sandusky raping children. Anybody want to mention O.J.'s wife or the Holocaust while we're at it?
Wierd how the NBA and NFL have managed to have parity and somehow, it's just impossible for MLB.

I find it really funny that you went from claiming that the disparity is nothing new, when it's exploded hugely. Now all of the sudden it's "well they tried but you can't fix that" for an excuse.

Just a few posts ago you were denying it's even an issue but clearly were oblivious to the problem.

Granted, if it is the team you favor that is benefiting, then it is harder to notice the decay of the less fortunate franchises.

MLB is in for some real hurt as the boomers die off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or