Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM

273 posts, read 347,178 times

Advertisements

I'm trying not to let the extremely high salaries of baseball, football and other sports players bug me, but they do for a variety of reasons I'm not interested in debating.

I'm hoping that these guys are at least giving a ****-load of money to charities. If you're making $20 million per year, there is no reason for you not to give away at least $1 million/year. As Americans, we have the expection of Nobless Oblige when it comes to businessmen, and it makes no sense not to hold athletes to the same standards.

Does anyone or any site track the charitable giving of these guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 02:14 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,961,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I'm trying not to let the extremely high salaries of baseball, football and other sports players bug me, but they do for a variety of reasons I'm not interested in debating.

I'm hoping that these guys are at least giving a ****-load of money to charities. If you're making $20 million per year, there is no reason for you not to give away at least $1 million/year. As Americans, we have the expection of Nobless Oblige when it comes to businessmen, and it makes no sense not to hold athletes to the same standards.

I'm aware of a number of "foundations" started by pro athletes, and also aware that there are a number who never seem to be connected to any charitable cause.

But I disagree on the "Americans have the expectation of Nobless Oblige". That used to be true and still is for old money. I don't get the sense it's true anymore, and not with most new money, or at least the expectation bar has been raised from multimillionaire to billionaire. These days most of what I hear about these days - and especially on C-D - is how to keep your money, screw causes that help the little guy. Sure, Gates and Buffett give a ton. But what about the newly minted millionaires in your community?

Last edited by sskink; 02-20-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 AM

273 posts, read 347,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
But I disagree on the "Americans have the expectation of Nobless Oblige". That used to be true and still is for old money. I don't get the sense it's true anymore, and not with most new money, or at least the expectation bar has been raised from multimillionaire to billionaire. These days most of what I hear about these days - and especially on C-D - is how to keep your money, screw causes that help the little guy. Sure, Gates and Buffett give a ton. But what about the newly minted millionaires in your community?
Yea, you're right.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM

14,647 posts, read 14,558,043 times
Even a guy who's made over $500,000,000 playing baseball steals from his own "charity":
Alex Rodriguez Only Gave $5,090 Of The $403,862 He Raised For Charity To Charity

Old 02-22-2014, 01:58 AM

127 posts, read 166,195 times
If the dollar amounts are given, some say, it's not truly charitable. It can be though, of course.

If a player only lends his time, face, or autograph to his own club's programs, that's fine by me. There have been hundreds of players who came from poverty so if all they do is make sure their family or extended family is provided for, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Nor would it bother me if they waited until retirement to focus on helping others. Warren Buffett often reminds people that 40 years ago he couldn't donate $1mil to anything. Now he can, and does, donate billions.

Having a foundation doesn't make a player more generous. On day one of signing with Scott Boras, a foundation is always set up as a tax hedge. Vacations, parties, flights, meals, cars, and properties are all made tax deductible and the IRS never cares if anyone is actually helped. As the A-Rod story shows, the players can make a lot of extra money through "charities" as well.

Of course, lots of players contribute heavily and run well known charitable foundations. There's no way to know what each player gives though and the truth is it's none of our business.

A much bigger concern should be what does Goodwill do with their profits? They certainly don't give items, money, or any other service to people in need. The "charity" is that they were able to provide someone a job to, among other things, count the money they just made off of your donation. Is any extra charity provided when a 2ct diamond is donated instead of a cubic zerconia? No. But I digress...

Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,645,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post

No I doubt it, but I can't be sure. What percentage of your salary did you give to charity last year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball