Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think Derek Jeter Will Be Make The Hall Of Fame?
Yes 39 92.86%
No 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

On a more relevant note, anybody notice how quickly Jorge Posada became a gray old man?

Spoiler
I called the ending (including to right field) after the second O's home run.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:01 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
not to get on my soap box again but, if they're letting any player from the steroid era in the HOF they need to let all of the best players from the era in the HOF

that includes Bonds and Clemens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
not to get on my soap box again but, if they're letting any player from the steroid era in the HOF they need to let all of the best players from the era in the HOF

that includes Bonds and Clemens
Because we are not allowed to use our intelligence to discriminate between those who were caught and those for whom there is no evidence of use?

Old 09-26-2014, 12:41 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
What a stupid poll. Of course he'll get into the Hall of Fame! His defense isn't good so because of that it probably won't be a unanimous selection, but his postseason accomplishments will be enough to get him in, yet alone the 3700+ him. Not only will he easily make it to Cooperstown, he'll be a sure fire first ballot hall of famer as well.

Spoiler
I will say this however. Not to take anything away from Jeter he was a great player but being in New York probably slightly overrated him just a little. if he plays in Houston or Seattle or something he's probably a Craig Biggio type: not as much notice on the national level as much on the regional level.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 AM

14,681 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Undoubtedly being a Yankee overrated him. His consistently high batting average and propensity for postseason glory would make him a lock no matter the team, still.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Because we are not allowed to use our intelligence to discriminate between those who were caught and those for whom there is no evidence of use?
Craig Biggio says Hi,
for just the 2nd time in my 40 years of watching baseball a member of the 3000 hit club didn't go in 1st ballot. the other was Pete Rose

I have nothing against Jeter he's a tremendous ball player and he deserves to be in the hall

Canseco said 85% of the big leaguer's were juicing in the 90's. 85%

Was Jeter one of them? I don't know? was Biggio? I don't see one as more likely than the other.

How about Bagwell and Frank Thomas

Bud Selig gave them 3 months notice prior to the 2003 season that every player was going to be tested and if 5% or more tested positive then they would start drug testing. thats how the 102 names came about, how stupid do you have to be to flunk that test.

safe to say there would have been a lot more tarnished reputations if they just went ahead and tested them.

when you can't say with any certainty who was clean and who wasn't, either let them all in or none of them in

Old 09-26-2014, 08:54 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Is this poll serious? hahahaha

Old 09-26-2014, 08:57 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
I think Jeter's defense keeps the vote from being unanimous..
No way.... I admit as his career progressed he regressed at the position but he still won 5 gold gloves... only 3 other players at SS won more than that.

He'll challenge the all-time votes record in my opinion... I think he beats it.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:10 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
Not sure why this question is asked. Even the question about whether he makes it in on the first ballot is a no brainer.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:02 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post

when you can't say with any certainty who was clean and who wasn't, either let them all in or none of them in
Which course of action are you advocating? Let them all in or keep them all out?

It is actually too late for the latter, Alomar, Thomas, Maddox and Glavine are PEDs era players who have been enshrined.

That leaves you with advocating letting them all in.

I do not see the wisdom nor the necessity of behaving as though we are helpless in this matter and must make it a black/white, either/or proposition. Your system would either deny enshrinement to those who played clean because there were those who did not, or enshrine those who we know with certainty did not play clean because otherwise we cannot enshrine anyone who did play clean.

How is that better than blocking those that we know were PEDs users, or even blocking as well those for whom there are reasonable grounds to suspect, while not blocking those for whom we have no particular reason to suspect other than they were there during the time a lot of players were using?

Let us take Greg Maddox as an example. Did he use? We cannot be certain, but we know he never failed a drug test, there was never a time when he suddenly showed up at camp with a radically altered physique, there are no sudden spikes in his performance, and his aging decline pattern was completely within normal expectations.

By your reasoning, because Canseco and Ramirez and Bonds et al used PEDs, then we must so strongly suspect Maddox of also being a user that despite the absence of any specific evidence that he was, he must be treated the same as the ones who we know for sure were cheaters. In what manner is that fair to Maddox?

The other half of your argument would say that because we must enshrine guys who left behind no evidence of any cheating, we must also enshrine those for whom there is no doubt of malfeasance.

Why are we required to behave so foolishly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball