Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:23 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,207,999 times

Advertisements

The NL had a certain mystique to this Baltimore kid. Sure we had the Yanks and the great Ted Williams, but the NL had a boatload of cool: Mays, Musial, Aaron, Frank Robby, Ashburn, Spahn, Robin Roberts, Big Klu with the cutoff sleeves, Banks, the Dodgers, etc. They had the neatest uniforms and the quirkiest ballparks too whereas in the AL everything was more-or-less the same. Blahsville.

You see, the only times we got to see the NL players were all-star games and the World Series. If there was a Game of the Week in the 50s, it wasn't piped into Baltimore or, as far as I know, DC. On the other hand, maybe if we had them on a regular basis, it wouldn't have seemed so cool. You know, like if you don't have something, it seems more desirable.

Still, I used to think about the folks in the Big Apple, Philly (thru '54), or Chicago who had both baseball worlds on their doorsteps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 08:01 AM

18,161 posts, read 25,699,603 times
As a kid growing up in the late 50's in the Denver area, it was mostly the American League that I followed. The AAA club Denver Bears had consecutive runs as the farm club for the Yankees, Tigers, and the Twins. Then in '63 we became the farm club of the Milwaukee Braves. In the next couple seasons they came to Denver for some exhibition games. The first autographs that I was ever able to get was from Warren Spahn, Lou Burdette, Hank Aaron, Del Crandall, Lee Maye, and Eddie Mathews. The one guy I missed out on that I REALLY wished I'd have gotten, for laughs if not anything else, would have been Bob Uecker.

The little things a kid remembers has stayed with me, like Spahn, after giving me his autograph, asking me if I'm playing in Little League ball and what position I play.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,360,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
As a kid growing up in the late 50's in the Denver area, it was mostly the American League that I followed. The AAA club Denver Bears had consecutive runs as the farm club for the Yankees, Tigers, and the Twins.
Do you recall an incident that occurred when Ralph Houk was managing the Yankees farm team there and once when the team seemed to be in the doldrums Houk told Tony Kubek to go out on the field and start a fight? Kubek did and both benches emptied causing a near-brawl and the team got hot and started a winning streak. Phil Rizzuto told that story in a book but I've never heard it from anyone else.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Do you recall an incident that occurred when Ralph Houk was managing the Yankees farm team there and once when the team seemed to be in the doldrums Houk told Tony Kubek to go out on the field and start a fight? Kubek did and both benches emptied causing a near-brawl and the team got hot and started a winning streak. Phil Rizzuto told that story in a book but I've never heard it from anyone else.
I was told by Denver Bear fans years older than me (and my Dad as well) that yes, it did occur. Dad took me to the exhibition game when the Yankees came in for an exhibition game in the '56 season. Park was packed! Mickey Mantle swatting homers effortlessly in that 5280 ft. air. The guy who was the Bears MVP back then was Marv Throneberry (seriously!) In the '55 through '57 seasons he led the American Association in home runs and rbi's-home runs were in the 42 to 45 range IIRC.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-08-2014 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 11-08-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
The NL had a certain mystique to this Baltimore kid. Sure we had the Yanks and the great Ted Williams, but the NL had a boatload of cool: Mays, Musial, Aaron, Frank Robby, Ashburn, Spahn, Robin Roberts, Big Klu with the cutoff sleeves, Banks, the Dodgers, etc. They had the neatest uniforms and the quirkiest ballparks too whereas in the AL everything was more-or-less the same. Blahsville.

You see, the only times we got to see the NL players were all-star games and the World Series. If there was a Game of the Week in the 50s, it wasn't piped into Baltimore or, as far as I know, DC. On the other hand, maybe if we had them on a regular basis, it wouldn't have seemed so cool. You know, like if you don't have something, it seems more desirable.

Still, I used to think about the folks in the Big Apple, Philly (thru '54), or Chicago who had both baseball worlds on their doorsteps.
My uncle moved away from the Denver area and opened up a business west of Banning, Ca. He was able to go to a bunch of Dodger games when the Dodgers moved to L.a. in 1958. By that time Erskine, Reese, Hodges, Snider and others had a lot of miles on them. Still, he got to see a lot of bball.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:57 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,360,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I was told by Denver Bear fans years older than me (and my Dad as well) that yes, it did occur. Dad took me to the exhibition game when the Yankees came in for an exhibition game in the '56 season. Park was packed! Mickey Mantle swatting homers effortlessly in that 5280 ft. air. The guy who was the Bears MVP back then was Marv Throneberry (seriously!) In the '55 through '57 seasons he led the American Association in home runs and rbi's-home runs were in the 42 to 45 range IIRC.
I think it may have been Throneberry about whom Casey Stengel commented, "He's 20 years old and in 10 years he has a chance to be 30."

Old 11-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I think it may have been Throneberry about whom Casey Stengel commented, "He's 20 years old and in 10 years he has a chance to be 30."
Heh, true! Here's a couple more Throneberry notes:

Noted author Jimmy Breslin---'"Having Marv Throneberry playing on your ball club is like having Willie Sutton working at your bank."

From the Ken Burns baseball documentary from 1994, narrated by former NBC news anchor John Chancellor--"One time as Throneberry was rounding third base and hit home plate after hitting a home run he was called out by the umpire for failing to touch second base. When Casey Stengel went out to protest the call, third base coach Cookie Lavagetto got between Stengel and the umpire, telling Stengel, 'Casey, I wouldn't complain at all.' He didn't touch third base either."

Old 11-09-2014, 10:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,984,335 times
Quote:
In "Ball Four" Jim Bouton quotes Greg Goosen saying that the above was the "nicest thing Stengel had to say about him.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,950,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In "Ball Four" Jim Bouton quotes Greg Goosen saying that the above was the "nicest thing Stengel had to say about him.
As a long-time Mets fan prior to moving to Pittsburgh, I can tell you that Stengel had lots of things to say about Marvelous Marv, but you're correct in that this particular quote was directed at Goosen.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:47 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,207,999 times
Quote:
First few times I saw this brother of Faye Throneberry, he looked like a bigger version of Mantle, same stance, gorgeous swing.

I guess that shows you what an astute judge of baseball talent I am.

But seriously, he looked the next big slugger.

Instead he became a big slug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball