Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

Ernie Banks, legendary Cubs player, dead at 83

We lost a great athlete and a better person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 PM

677 posts, read 672,141 times
May he rest in peace ... seemed like a nice guy who was good for the game.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 PM

172 posts, read 251,726 times
Very sad news. As a kid growing up in a suburb of Chicago, Ernie Banks was my favorite baseball player. Always seemed like a great guy.

R.I.P. Mr. Banks.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Probably the only thing more iconic to the Cubs was Wrigley Field itself. A man of skill, integrity, class, passion and humor he excuded virtues that all good people aspire too. He will be greatly missed by his large Cub's family.

If you ever get a chance to see it, he did a lovely little rendition of "All the way" with Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field a couple years back. It really gives you a feel as to who this man really was...and he was something special.

http://youtu.be/M6z_6uGo63E
You can fast forward to the 6:30 mark to see him, although the whole thing is interesting.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:27 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default What sad news

I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, watching Ernie Banks play. He and Billy Williams were my favorite players. Wrigley Field was a magical place. Baseball seemed magical as a result. It was all positive, uplifting. I always got a very warm, cozy feeling when I knew Ernie Banks was playing akin to watching Barney Fife and Andy Griffith on TV. The ambiance this generated was unique to the Chicago area. Ernie Banks represented all that was good in this world. He was a great ball player too, but IMO his personality transcended his great game. The positive spirit he exuded still affects me today and probably will stay with me until I'm gone.

What a great man. Great baseball player. He positively impacted millions.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:54 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Just a classy, classy guy from what I could tell. Sad news.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:03 AM

677 posts, read 672,141 times
512 home runs when homers didn't come cheap and players were "clean."

Old 01-24-2015, 09:02 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, watching Ernie Banks play. He and Billy Williams were my favorite players. Wrigley Field was a magical place. Baseball seemed magical as a result. It was all positive, uplifting. I always got a very warm, cozy feeling when I knew Ernie Banks was playing akin to watching Barney Fife and Andy Griffith on TV. The ambiance this generated was unique to the Chicago area. Ernie Banks represented all that was good in this world. He was a great ball player too, but IMO his personality transcended his great game. The positive spirit he exuded still affects me today and probably will stay with me until I'm gone.

What a great man. Great baseball player. He positively impacted millions.
Couldn't have said it better.

That's why the Cubs organization referred to him as Mr. Cub. It's said that Banks and Billy Williams couldn't have played on a club that could be a pennant winner, to at least get to a world series.

My uncle loved to tell me the story about how Ernie Banks would sign autographs at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. Yes, St. Louis. For several decades the Cardinals and the Cubs would be rivals, but both fan bases in both cities knew not only talent but also class. Stan Musial had a lot of fans in the Chicago area and Banks did in St. Louis. After a game my cousin and my uncle was able to get autographs and Mr. Banks is the one that made their day. Ernie would shake the hand of the kids seeking his autograph and ask them if they are participating in little league ball and what position they play.

Mr. Banks was class-on and off the field.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:00 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
RIP Mr. Banks.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
A very sad day for all MLB fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball