Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,032,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees are devising legal arguments so Alex Rodriguez won't be able to collect any of the bonuses he is owed per the $30 million "milestone home run" marketing agreement he signed in 2007, sources confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.
They are planning on employing exactly the legal argument I would advance in the situation:
Quote:
In a future grievance, the Yankees likely would argue that Rodriguez basically voided the marketing agreement by making it worthless because of his PED use and the way he has acted. The deal calls for Rodriguez to receive the flat $6 million fee in return for the Yankees' gaining exclusive rights to market the milestone achievements.
New York Yankees devising legal arguments so Alex Rodriguez won't be able to collect bonuses - ESPN New York

It would come down to whether or not the courts accepted the idea that Rodriguez voided those clauses in his contract by his behavior which made the milestones no longer a fan attraction. It will require the Yankees arguing that the reason for those bonus clauses was promotional along with the expectation of enhanced revenues as fans turned out to see these events.

Of course one defense that Rodriguez's attorneys could make, it he allows it, would be that the Yankees already knew that his on field miracles were the product of PEDs use. They might not be able to establish that, but if it became a matter of argument in open court, we would for the first time have club officials trying to explain how they didn't even suspect that something out of the ordinary was taking place.

I'm really rooting for this one to come to trial because it will open a number of doors and give us an inside look at the PEDs culture and just how much clubs were pretending that they did not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 PM

328 posts, read 432,560 times
I would make sure the cheater never saw the plate myself.

Like McGwire, Sosa and others then demeaned the game and should not be paid a dime on our dollar.

He cannot reach milestones if they take his stats of those years he cheated off the record books which they should.

Same with McGwire and Sosa, cleaned their records off completely.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,965,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
They are planning on employing exactly the legal argument I would advance in the situation:

New York Yankees devising legal arguments so Alex Rodriguez won't be able to collect bonuses - ESPN New York

It would come down to whether or not the courts accepted the idea that Rodriguez voided those clauses in his contract by his behavior which made the milestones no longer a fan attraction. It will require the Yankees arguing that the reason for those bonus clauses was promotional along with the expectation of enhanced revenues as fans turned out to see these events.

Of course one defense that Rodriguez's attorneys could make, it he allows it, would be that the Yankees already knew that his on field miracles were the product of PEDs use. They might not be able to establish that, but if it became a matter of argument in open court, we would for the first time have club officials trying to explain how they didn't even suspect that something out of the ordinary was taking place.

I'm really rooting for this one to come to trial because it will open a number of doors and give us an inside look at the PEDs culture and just how much clubs were pretending that they did not know.
Sadly, I think the Yankees could lose this. Maybe they compromise if that's an option the union will consider. And even more sadly, I do believe that if the day comes when ARod challenges a HR record, there will be sell outs, so the Yankees will at least make a few bucks off the backs of morons who would equate ARod's chemically-fueled records with Ruth's.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And even more sadly, I do believe that if the day comes when ARod challenges a HR record, there will be sell outs, so the Yankees will at least make a few bucks off the backs of morons who would equate ARod's chemically-fueled records with Ruth's.
I fear you may be correct with the above. As a Giants fan I found the Bonds pursuit of Henry Aaron's career home run record to be a shameful and bogus dynamic. This did not seem to be the attitude of those attending the games who cheered Bonds just as though nothing else was happening and the record was not tainted.

A stadium full of people applauding for someone who had been defrauding them for years....

Old 01-30-2015, 11:47 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,366,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I fear you may be correct with the above. As a Giants fan I found the Bonds pursuit of Henry Aaron's career home run record to be a shameful and bogus dynamic. This did not seem to be the attitude of those attending the games who cheered Bonds just as though nothing else was happening and the record was not tainted.

A stadium full of people applauding for someone who had been defrauding them for years....
I can relate to this. Watching A-Roid hit a home run would be like watching my mother-in-law drive off a cliff in my 1973 Dodge Challenger. I would be rooting for the team but against the player. I may have dual personalities but at least I have each other.

My fondest hope is that A-Roid will demonstrate in spring training that he can no longer hit big-league pitching and the club can either leave him on the bench or schedule yet another surgery. I don't think the Yankees have a lot to gain financially by having him in the lineup. The last two seasons have proven that with or without A-Roid they will draw 40 thousand-plus.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:58 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,075,157 times
Maybe the Yankees should also deny themselves the World Series victory that A-Rod's roided play helped secure for them in 2009 when he hit 30/100 with an OBP of .402 at age 33 and then absolutely obliterated opponent pitching in the ALDS and ALCS that year.

Like A-Rod or not, this is beyond hypocritical.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
would be like watching my mother-in-law drive off a cliff in my 1973 Dodge Challenger. .
I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger, got just a few months before the film "Vanishing Point" came out and made it into a "hot" car. For a few months lots of people coming up beside me at a red light would rev their engines like they were expecting me to race them. I'd rev back but then move out normally while they went thundering across the line fishtailing out of control.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,965,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Maybe the Yankees should also deny themselves the World Series victory that A-Rod's roided play helped secure for them in 2009 when he hit 30/100 with an OBP of .402 at age 33 and then absolutely obliterated opponent pitching in the ALDS and ALCS that year.

Like A-Rod or not, this is beyond hypocritical.
If I were running MLB, that would be on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball