Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times

Advertisements

A lot of Giants hate going on here - love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 03:52 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Just a few favorites towards the top, but beyond is just indifferent to this fan. Some of the middle ones were a slight fave of mine at one time, but my tastes have changed. Here's the ranking.

1. Astros
2. Rangers
3. Cardinals
4. Royals
5. Indians
6. Orioles
7. Angels
8. Diamondbacks
9. Nationals
10. Rays
11. Giants
12. Red Sox
13. Brewers
14. Mariners
15. Rockies
16. Marlins
17. Dodgers
18. Padres
19. White Sox
20. Mets
21. Reds
22. A's
23. Braves
24. Tigers
25. Twins
26. Pirates
27. Phillies
28. Blue Jays
29. Yankees
30. Cubs

Old 03-25-2015, 04:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
I have no idea how to rank from 1 to 30

1 Phillies (sadly right now)
2 A's (Phillies first main team (The Phillies were second class to the As) plus remember when Reggie and Ricky fondly there - but probably the old Philly tie really

3-22 Ambivalent can't really rank

23 Marlins (really for no other reason than in the division, less hate then for the Braves or Nats and especially the Mets)
24 Cardinals (Respect them bu again win to much for this Phillies fan)
25 Giants (Really just because they won a few recently)
26 Yankees (Don't actually hate them but they are over-hyped)
27 Red Sox (Just kind of sick of the national love fest for them)
28 Nats (Division and they are close)
29 Braves (Division and were so good for so many years in the NL east still holds a sore spot for me )
30 Mets (Mets are the anti-christ - well actually respect Mets fans in NYC ina an odd way but still hate the mutts)

Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
My top teams:

Mariners (Mariners fan here, hence my username).
Twins
Brewers
Padres
Pirates
White Sox
Angels
Blue Jays
Reds
Rockies

Rest of the teams are a toss-up.

Teams I do not like:
Braves
Red Sox
Cardinals

Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Their success plays no role except for the mentality of their own fanbase, most of whom are exhausting. I think they're pretty casual, fairweather fans, in general, but due to recent success and a brand-new stadium, act like they're better than everyone else.

I took my girlfriend (she's a Giants fan) to a playoff game last season (NLCS vs STL) and found the atmosphere about as entertaining and lively as a mid-season Oakland A's game, at best. I just think if fans are going to go run around telling everyone how great they are, they might actually want to know what's happening in the game and get into it. Nothing in the Bay Area compares to an important A's game.

So, yeah, the fanbase is just exhausting is all.

I root against SF at every turn.

Oh, and their ballpark has horrific sight-lines; quite possibly the most overrated ballpark in baseball.
Yep, I can understand why you hate the Giants. I mean, you being an A's fan, it must be tough watching all the success across the bay when Oakland has only managed to win 1 playoff series in 25 years.

Oh, and AT&T Park is one of the crown jewels of baseball, while the Oakland Coliseum as we've seen is literally a sewer..

Success always brings envy and hate from fans of teams not so fortunate...something you've exhibited quite well..

Old 03-27-2015, 09:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Yankees
Pirates
Twins
Nationals
Athletics
Marlins
Cubs
Giants
Orioles
Royals
Blue Jays
Rockies
Padres
Astros
Rangers
Rays
Mets
Phillies
White Sox
Diamondbacks
Indians
Reds
Cardinals
Tigers
Braves
Red Sox
Brewers
Mariners
Angels
Dodgers

Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
Red Sox
Indians
Rockies
Marlins
Mariners
Pirates
Cubs
Twins
Astros
Padres
Giants
Tigers
Reds
Nationals
Brewers
Cardinals
Mets
Braves
Phillies
Royals
White Sox
Angels
Rangers
Diamondbacks
A's
Dodgers
Rays
Jays
Orioles
Yankees

Old 03-30-2015, 12:39 AM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
My team:
1. Giants

Don't mind:
Pirates
Cubs
Orioles
A's

Dislike:
28. Red Sox
29. Philllies
30. Yankees

Old 04-04-2015, 08:44 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,587 times
The following are my rankings with brief reasoning why:

LIKE:

1) Cubs-I LOVE THE CUBBIES! I've been watching them since I was 4 for nearly 3 1/2 decades, and I can't think of a better timesuck than watching this lousy team play ball. I understand they're supposed to be pretty good this year, and I hope this year is the year so that I can die happy, but I've learned to not get my hopes up as I've had my hopes crushed again and again and again, etc. over the years by these lovable losers.

2) Brewers-I've seen more major league games at the old County Stadium in Milwaukee than I have anywhere, so it brings me a nostalgic feel of the days of Yount, Molitor, and Gantner whenever I see the Brew Crew play. When I attended their games, they were in the AL, so their current rivalry with the Cubs doesn't make me hate them like it does with my last place team.

3) Royals-This is the closest ballpark to where I live in Des Moines, so it's nice to be able to go to Kauffman from time to time. I remember watching George Brett and Bo Jackson play there. Last season definitely made me like them a lot more. I love the Moneyball teams that are doing well with a low payroll.

4) Twins-Due to its relative close proximity to where I live, I've been to the Metrodome with the hefty bag in right field many times and that was such a horrible venue for baseball. It sure was cool watching Kirby Puckett in his prime though. I hear Target Field is an awesome ballpark and I look forward to seeing the Twinkies this season.

5) A's-Despite being a Midwesterner, I'm a big Bay Area sports fan. I liked the 49ers and the Warriors first and then I started liking the A's during the days of the bash brothers (Canseco and McGwire) and Dennis Eckersley. I picked them over the Giants. I really appreciate what Billy Bean is doing with today's A's using analytics and winning with no-name, low-salary players.

6) Reds-I have a man-crush on Joey Votto and that's enough for me to root for the Big Red Machine when they're not playing the Cubbies.

7) Pirates-I should hate this team because they always beat the Cubs, but they seem to always have that 1 player that I love watching play. It was Bonds in the 90s and today it's McCutchen.

8) Diamondbacks-I attended Spring Training in Arizona two years ago and had an awesome time talking to a few of the Diamondbacks players, and they just added Iowan Jeremy Hellickson to their pitching staff, so I can root for them.

9) Angels-They look like one of the best teams on paper, yet they never seem to do as well as expected. Mike Trout is the most exciting player I've ever seen though, and I can't imagine an Angels game ever being boring.

10) Tigers-I used to live in Michigan and wouldn't mind seeing D-town win a major sports championship again, and lately they've fielded a competitive team to do that. I'm not really a Miguel Cabrera fan, but I like their pitching staff and Ian Kinsler.

INDIFFERENT:

11) Indians-Like the Cubs, they haven't won a World Series in a very long time (since 1948), so I wouldn't mind seeing them get one soon (after the Cubs of course).

12) Nationals-Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg are exciting young players, and it's exciting to have a good team in Washington D.C., which is one of my favorite cities.

13) Braves-I'm not really a fan of the current Braves team, but I used to watch them on TBS all the time and remember watching Chipper Jones and some incredible pitching staffs. I don't pull for them, but I don't hate when they do well.

14) Dodgers-They're another exciting team to watch with Kershaw and Puig, and I have no malice towards them. I've always wanted to attend a game at Dodgers Stadium.

15) Rockies-I remember back in the early 90s when I was in junior high and the Rockies were an expansion team that I was going to be their biggest fan ever. That lasted about a year. Today I have no feelings for them at all.

16) Astros-No feelings towards them whatsoever, but at least they had the killer B's.

17) Padres-No feelings towards them whatsoever, but at least they had Tony Gwynn.

18) Mariners-They had a great team in the 90s and did well last year, but I couldn't name 5 current Mariners if a gun was held to my head.

HATE:

19) Phillies-I hate the Phillies and their fans, but I love their manager, former Cub Ryne Sandberg.

20) Rangers-Now that Nolan Ryan isn't the CEO of the Texas Rangers and Kinsler is on the Tigers, I can't think of one thing I like about them.

21) Orioles-This team is stacked and exciting to watch, but I just can't root for a team from Baltimore.

22) Red Sox-I only hate them because they won a World Series before the Cubs did.

23) Yankees-They always have a great team and win plenty, but I hate how they try to buy a championship every year.

24) Giants-Due to my like for the A's, I've always hated that other Bay Area team. A juiced-up Barry Bonds didn't help matters any.

25) Marlins-When I decided to love the Rockies in junior high, I also decided to hate the Marlins. They do seem headed in the right direction though.

26) D Rays-Baseball indoors in Florida just seems wrong to me, and now they don't have Hellickson I have no love for them at all.

27) Mets-I absolutely loathed this team in the 80s and that hatred still lingers today.

28) Blue Jays-Baseball in Canada in a sterile environment like the Rogers Centre is more offensive than indoor baseball in Florida, so I hate them for that.

29) White Sox-Since I'm a Cubs fan, it's mandatory that I hate the White Sox. I hate them most because of their annoying announcer, Ken "The Hawk" Harrellson. Listening to him call a game is like nails on a chalkboard.

30) Cardinals-I LOATHE the Cardinals. I hate that they win and everything else about them. Let's hope the Cubbies sweep them to start out the season.

Last edited by maniac77; 04-04-2015 at 08:55 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 07:33 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
1) Pirates
30) Whomever is playing the Pirates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball