Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Why altar the game? Just cut back on commercials. The time between innings should be just enough time for both teams to take their places? How about no commercial breaks until after, say, the 3rd & 7th innings.

A graph in the posted article sees a sharp incline in game times staring in the 90s. What's the difference? Commercial breaks has to be a major factor.
Sure. And the teams can make up the lost advertising revenues by charging a thousand dollars for a hot dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:30 PM

217 posts, read 208,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Easy.

Make it like the NFL where you have a certain amount of time to make a pitch, or the batter gets an automatic walk to first.
I didn't know NFL had pitchers and batters? Great suggestion.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Sure. And the teams can make up the lost advertising revenues by charging a thousand dollars for a hot dog.
Because hot dogs & tickets were so crazy expensive before the game was bombarded with commercials.

I don't eat shriveled ball park dogs anyway. In this regard said hypothetical price increase wouldn't bother me.

Easy fix, simply charge more for the more limuted and exclusive commercials.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Easy fix, simply charge more for the more limuted and exclusive commercials.
Sports advertisers, which most typically are selling beer, trucks and action movies, depend upon saturation, not limited and exclusive, which is for selling high end stuff to wealthy people.

What determines how much may be charged for an ad is ratings, not "easy" or "simple" rate hikes to compensate for fewer total ads.

Have you not noticed the relentless trend in tv revenue schemes? They keep thinking of more and more ways to increase advertising , not reduce it.

I assure you that there is not the slightest chance you suggestions would get any consideration from ML teams. They are hiring Ivy League graduates to think up ways to squeeze in more advertising. Those rolling signs on the backstops, the hyping of all sorts of normal events into "That's your Jiffy Lube Pitching Change of the Game" sponsorship, hell, the names of most stadiums are advertisements.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
https://youtu.be/RlSEE0a7xY8

Vox's take on slow play..Baseball games are longer than ever. Here's why.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times
My plan,

1. 7 inning games
2. 130 games in a season
3. 6 teams from each league go to the playoffs. The six teams with the best winning percentage. This might mean some weak division winners don't go. Might be controversial.
4. All playoff series are best of 7
5. The team with the best winning percentage in the regular season, gets home field advantage in the World Series. Tiebreaker is best winning percentage of games played against teams in your league.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
My plan,

1. 7 inning games
2. 130 games in a season
3. 6 teams from each league go to the playoffs
4. All playoff series are best of 7
5. The team with the best winning percentage in the regular season, gets home field advantage in the World Series
Your program would result in an immense reduction of MLB's revenue streams. You have removed the receipts from 32 games for each team, removed the tv money from 32 games for each team, and reduced the revenues from the post season by shrinking the number of games.

MLB would of course instantly reject any program which gave them such a severe punch in the wallet. I cannot speak for all fans, but I suspect most would oppose the idea of a shorter season, at least I do.

and...Only one of your five points is related to the topic being discussed which is making a game go faster, not making the season go faster.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:09 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
The only one I agree with, and the only one that has a remote chance of happening is all playoff series go 7 games.

7 inning games will never happen. All other leagues (even AAA) play 7 inning double headers, with MLB being the only league that plays 9 innings double headers. On day night or back-to-back double headers if MLB doesn't do 7 inning games MLB will NEVER make regularly scheduled games 7 innings.

130 games in a season: Grandstander touched on that already, but that's about 25+ home games lost per year. Good luck getting owners to sign off on that!

6 teams from each league go to playoffs: I thought this was a good idea at first but then I ran into a couple problems:
1) What would happen after the Wildcard round?? If all 3 teams play (1 vs 6, 2 vs. 5, 3 vs. 4) which team gets a bye to the world series?? If you give bye's there's this problem:
2) IF you give the division winners the top 2 seeds (which would mean knocking out the Central and going back to East vs. West) and give them bye's to the LDS, what happens if one the divisions is stronger then the other, and there's 3 teams in 1 league that have better records then the division winner in the other league?? Why should 2 of those teams play in Wildcard round while the division winner gets a bye??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball