Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:35 AM

9,704 posts, read 7,371,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
In discussing Craig Kimbrel with the Diamondbacks, the Padres asked for Paul Goldschmidt.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I mean can't worth to ask, maybe Preller wanted to catch Dave Stewart sleeping. I mean he's the same GM that inquired on Chapman, a free agent after next season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 12:24 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,739,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA. I mean can't worth to ask, maybe Preller wanted to catch Dave Stewart sleeping. I mean he's the same GM that inquired on Chapman, a free agent after next season.
Stewart said that it was the first and only time he's had another GM bring up Goldy's name. I wonder how long the moment of silence was before uncontrollable laughter kicked in.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:52 AM

6,536 posts, read 7,256,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Stewart said that it was the first and only time he's had another GM bring up Goldy's name. I wonder how long the moment of silence was before uncontrollable laughter kicked in.
I think the laughter went both ways as I don't see why a team would want to let go of one of the best closers in the league, if not, the best closer of the league?

Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I think the laughter went both ways as I don't see why a team would want to let go of one of the best closers in the league, if not, the best closer of the league?
It is far easier to find someone who can close out a game than it is to find a position player who can produce 6.0 or 7.0 WAR seasons. In Kimbrel's best season (2013) he produced 3.3 WAR.

It isn't that Kimbrel isn't great at what he does, it is that what he does has a limited value because he only pitches 65 innings a year. Further, the way closers get used, you don't need an absolute lights out guy like Kimbrel, you just need someone who can not blow leads. You can have a pretty mediocre ERA and still lead the league in saves. Finally, a closer has less than his apparent value when he is with a club which is not in contention. There will be fewer save opportunities.

If you were willing to swap Goldschmidt for Kimbrel, there isn't a GM in the business who would not leap at the deal and chortle over how he had burned you.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:36 PM

6,536 posts, read 7,256,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It is far easier to find someone who can close out a game than it is to find a position player who can produce 6.0 or 7.0 WAR seasons. In Kimbrel's best season (2013) he produced 3.3 WAR.

It isn't that Kimbrel isn't great at what he does, it is that what he does has a limited value because he only pitches 65 innings a year. Further, the way closers get used, you don't need an absolute lights out guy like Kimbrel, you just need someone who can not blow leads. You can have a pretty mediocre ERA and still lead the league in saves. Finally, a closer has less than his apparent value when he is with a club which is not in contention. There will be fewer save opportunities.

If you were willing to swap Goldschmidt for Kimbrel, there isn't a GM in the business who would not leap at the deal and chortle over how he had burned you.
Good points.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 PM

33,794 posts, read 16,794,516 times
Quote:

I'd hate to see Goldschmidt with a complete lineup around him. He is lethal.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,739,762 times
Quote:

Plus, Goldy severely undersold himself on the contract he signed. He's making less than Ben Revere.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 PM

One month after deadline, and IMO Uribe and Clippard have been more of the difference makers for Mets than Cespedes.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 PM

Could the Cespedes contract move have him in Orange & Blue for a long time?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,951,613 times
I'm thinking the leaders in July/August acquisitions have clearly identified themselves:

1. Mets (Cespedes, Uribe, Clippard, Johnson, Reed). Who said Cespedes couldn't play CF? Uribe just wins. Clippard immediately made the Mets bullpen stronger, with the later addition of Reed also paying immediate dividends.
2. Pirates (ARam, Happ, Blanton, Soria). And now ARam can play 1b too. Happ is another Ray Searage special and has been among the top 7 starting pitchers in August/Sept. Blanton has been shutdown and Soria gives the Bucs a better 7th inning option than the erractic Jared Hughes.
3. Blue Jays (Price, Tulo, Revere, Hawkins, Lowe). They've got the money and it's a weak AL East, so why not. I think the sleepers here are Hawkins and Lowe, who improve a mediocre bullpen.

While Toronto made the biggest splash with Price and Tulo, I'm ranking both the Mets and Bucs higher for making multiple lower-profile, affordable moves that have contributed significantly to their success while not giving up any top prospects (the Blue Jays gave up Daniel Norris and Jeff Hoffman, their top two pitching prospects, along with two other players that project as MLB caliber).

The Mets and Pirates gave up nothing of much consequence. Given the number of Mets young arms, Fulmer was very expendable, as was JaCoby Jones for the Pirates given he'd be blocked by Mercer/Kang for at least three years.

An argument could be made for putting the Dodgers in here, but they've been helped more by the Giants self-destructing than any specific moves they made - and IMO, are still underperforming their talent. An argument could also be made for the Twins for doing basically nothing while resisting the urge to trade away top prospects in order to secure an uncertain WC berth. The Twinkies' future looks very good with the talent they've amassed in their system. No point in dealing away top guys for a low-percentage lottery ticket to the playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball