Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather have designated hitters or pitchers batting?
Designated hitters 17 38.64%
Pitchers batting 27 61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, it is. The AL pitchers don't bat on a regular basis, the AL team has to sit one of their sluggers. The NL team gets to add another hitter. How is that fair?
You realize the AL leads the NL in interleague play by a fairly wide margin, right? 2565-2299 to be exact.

I don't know if it's "fair" or not, but the AL seems to be dealing with it just fine in spite of your concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Yes, it is. The AL pitchers don't bat on a regular basis, the AL team has to sit one of their sluggers. The NL team gets to add another hitter. How is that fair?
It is fair because each team from either league gains an advantage in home games.

In NL parks, as you mentioned, the AL team is replacing a hitter with a pitcher who has not been used to trying to hit. The NL pitchers are likely to outperform them at the plate.

However, in the AL parks the advantage swings to the AL team because those teams are carrying someone already who is in there because he can hit. To come up with a DH, the NL team team must take someone from the bench who likely does not hit as well as the regular players.

Further, though these advantages exist, they are hardly large ones which are likely to have decisive impacts on the game.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:37 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You realize the AL leads the NL in interleague play by a fairly wide margin, right? 2565-2299 to be exact.

I don't know if it's "fair" or not, but the AL seems to be dealing with it just fine in spite of your concerns.
My list of disadvantages (for either league) was certainly not exhaustive. Playing under different rules is ridiculous, if they're going to play each other daily. Will it work? Yes. Is it ideal? No.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:53 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
Hate the DH. I'll be very disappointed if the NL goes to the DH. Leave it as it is. It works fine and the NL is not loaded up with washed up hitters, hanging on for dear life because they can swing hard at anything that remotely comes towards them. That's garbage. If you can't field you have no business in the majors.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
For those of you who do not like the DH rule, some good news...for the moment...

Rob Manfred: No foreseeable change to DH rule coming
Quote:
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred has a message for fans who think the designated hitter is on its way to the National League: Not so fast.
"The most likely result on the designated hitter for the foreseeable future is the status quo," Manfred said in an interview with ESPN.com in conjunction with his one-year anniversary as commissioner. "I think the vast majority of clubs in the National League want to stay where they are."
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says no foreseeable change to designated hitter rule coming

However....
Quote:
St. Louis Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak recently said the idea of the NL adding the DH is "gaining momentum." At the owners meetings, Manfred appeared to acknowledge that NL clubs have become more receptive to a change.

"Twenty years ago, when you talked to National League owners about the DH, you'd think you were talking some sort of heretical comment," Manfred said Thursday. "But we have a newer group. There's been turnover. And I think our owners in general have demonstrated a willingness to change the game in ways that we think would be good for the fans, always respecting the history and traditions of the sport."
The above tends to undercut Robb's use of "foreseeable future" and hints that a change maytake place some time down the road.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:17 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
DH, but pitchers batting makes it more interesting with pinch-hitting strategy. One of the most memorable moments for me at a baseball game was seeing Cliff Lee hit his first home run.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:34 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
My list of disadvantages (for either league) was certainly not exhaustive. Playing under different rules is ridiculous, if they're going to play each other daily. Will it work? Yes. Is it ideal? No.
I have no idea what you're talking about. You said it didn't seem fair for the AL. I pointed out that the AL is leading the interleague series so the question of fairness seems irrelevant. I don't really get where the rest of this enters into that exchange.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Hate the DH. I'll be very disappointed if the NL goes to the DH. Leave it as it is. It works fine and the NL is not loaded up with washed up hitters, hanging on for dear life because they can swing hard at anything that remotely comes towards them. That's garbage. If you can't field you have no business in the majors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
For those of you who do not like the DH rule, some good news...for the moment...

Rob Manfred: No foreseeable change to DH rule coming

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says no foreseeable change to designated hitter rule coming

However....

The above tends to undercut Robb's use of "foreseeable future" and hints that a change maytake place some time down the road.
That hasn't even happened at all so far. Rob Manfred declared that the NL might adopt the Designated Hitter rule for 2017 if their is an agreement to it but if that happens who would think Major League Baseball is ruined?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 AM

858 posts, read 707,604 times
I'm a Yankees fan but I prefer the pitcher hitting. It's part of the game...you hit and you field. It also doesn't hurt that DH's have killed the Yankees over the years. Oritz, Edgar martinez are the main 2 I think of.

Part of why I hate it is that I remember a particular game against the RedSox. Ortiz legged out a double, moved over to 3rd on a ground ball or something and then came home on a sacfly. All that happened relatively quickly that he couldn't catch his breath. TV had a picture of him in the dugout and he was dead. He got to sit there for 3 inning doing nothing and rest for his next at bat. that just seems wrong.

That story aside, I do like the strategy with the pitcher hitting. Do you keep them in or take them out in the 6th or 7th? Do you double switch? do you not bring in your ace reliever yet because his spot in the order is up next inning? Casual fans don't care and don't know what is going on but real fans who watch daily probably love it.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:47 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're part of the team.
You're on the field.
You hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
NFL placekickers:
They're part of the team
They're on the field
They tackle and block
NFL Punters
They are on the team;
They are on the field;
They tackle and block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball