U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 01:40 PM

1,122 posts, read 729,662 times

Advertisements

MLB ranked the biggest rivalries entering the 2016 season. At 5th was Yankees-Red Sox and at third Astros-Rangers. Surprise? It is to me. The Yankees are current playoff contenders and the Red Sox made some off season moves to put them in the spot as well. Being that it is the biggest historic rivalry in baseball, I'd put it in first.

Either way, it's still huge. If you haven't been to a Astros-Rangers game at Minute Maid Park, you should. I went last season and it was great. Got to see the Astros murder the Rangers 10-0. It was great
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 03:46 AM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 5 hours ago)

46,852 posts, read 37,012,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
MLB ranked the biggest rivalries entering the 2016 season. At 5th was Yankees-Red Sox and at third Astros-Rangers. Surprise? It is to me. The Yankees are current playoff contenders and the Red Sox made some off season moves to put them in the spot as well. Being that it is the biggest historic rivalry in baseball, I'd put it in first.

Either way, it's still huge. If you haven't been to a Astros-Rangers game at Minute Maid Park, you should. I went last season and it was great. Got to see the Astros murder the Rangers 10-0. It was great

The ranking was, admittedly, a surprise, given the longer history of Yanks/Red Sox. But the Rangers/Astros rivalry is only developing right now, and over time, will become a good one as both teams will be expected to contend in their division for years to come.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM

55 posts, read 48,445 times
All things considered, after last seasons great race between the two teams from Texas, I agree with this. Yanks-Sox have been stale for a while.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:34 PM

40,911 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Success by the Red Sox has diluted the feel of the NY-Boston rivalry. Before there were clearly defined villains and heroes because the Red Sox always radiated the aura of the underdog facing the Brobdinagian. It even had a rich vs poor dynamic in that the Yankees were always identified as the over privileged club.

Now Boston has three titles under their belt and spends just a little less than does NY. Boston has become NY and the rivalry seems a fight between two rich guys rather than Scrooge vs Tiny Tim.

The Dodger-Giant rivalry has also grown less intense ever since the departure of Tommy Lasorda. He served as a symbol for LA which all Giant fans could rally against, all that Dodger Blue blither blather and constant running of his mouth. Booing Lasorda was a cathartic part of the Giant fan experience and it is gone.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:09 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
Yet East Sports Programing Network will consistently shove the Red Sox Yankees "rivalry" down our collective throats for the forseable future!

Old 01-29-2016, 12:25 PM

314 posts, read 251,415 times
I agree it's gone stale. Yankees-Red Sox is important in New England and the northeast, as it should be, but how many people west of there truly care? ESPN, Fox and MLB Network unfortunately continue to shove it down everyone's throats. It will take a long period of neither team mattering for that to change.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:31 PM

9,582 posts, read 8,883,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
I agree it's gone stale. Yankees-Red Sox is important in New England and the northeast, as it should be, but how many people west of there truly care? ESPN, Fox and MLB Network unfortunately continue to shove it down everyone's throats. It will take a long period of neither team mattering for that to change.
lol...and how many people outside Texas care about the Astros and Rangers?

Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
I doubt there will be such a period of neither team mattering, but ESPN should have already taken notice that there are a few divisions that contain good rivalry series (Cards-Cubs, Dodgers-Giants, Yankees-Red Sox). Texas-Houston is just developing and it could take years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
lol...and how many people outside Texas care about the Astros and Rangers?
Certainly more than you choose to think. Both teams happen to have a few top-notch players (Darvish, Hamels, Andrus, Beltre, Odor, Keuchel, Altuve, Correa, Springer). They've got fans in a lot of places just like any other major club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Yet East Sports Programing Network will consistently shove the Red Sox Yankees "rivalry" down our collective throats for the forseable future!
After they become good again. The Yankees are not quite there now.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:39 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,195,588 times
I can see it, since the AL West is going to go through either one of the two teams.

Given how both of their seasons ended last year, not to mention the traditional Houston-Dallas rivalry, I can see it taking off for the next few years

Old 01-31-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I can see it, since the AL West is going to go through either one of the two teams.

Given how both of their seasons ended last year, not to mention the traditional Houston-Dallas rivalry, I can see it taking off for the next few years
Prognosticators will come out soon with their picks. Early rumors online have many believing Houston picked to win, but the Rangers shouldn't be too far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or