Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:32 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Like it or not, that's where we're at now. So much for new ballparks being built to last, and Globe Life Park could easily go another 80 years if it'd just stay. It's still got fabulous sightlines. It will be missed when the new park gets built (Too bad it won't be in Dallas, but that's another thread), but it's time the Rangers and their fans get their dose of air conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
When you guys get your new roofed stadium built, would it be okay if the A's can have the old stadium and move it to Oakland?
Deal!

Last edited by case44; 05-25-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:15 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
What a terrible waste of money. $1 billion for a stadium? According to an article I read the other day on the new stadium the tax payers will shell out approximately $450 million for their part. I don't live in Arlington so it's not my money. Have at it.

In the 1960's the Houston Astros knew about the Texas heat and built the Astrodome with air conditioning to provide a more comfortable experience for the fans and players. The current Astros' stadium was designed with a retractable roof to continue providing a comfortable experience for the fans and players. Why the Texas Rangers did not build their park with a retractable roof knowing that the temperature rises during the summer is beyond me. Even the Romans had retractable sunscreens that stretched over the Colosseum: The Roman Colosseum
I think at the time, retractable roof stadiums wasn't as popular. I think the only one in 1994 was the Skydome in Toronto. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know it was painful to watch games there in 2011.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:19 PM

484 posts, read 467,147 times
I've read for years that building a roof was cost-prohibitive with the Rangers' current park was built. Sure didn't stop Houston from doing it, and Toronto long before. While Minute Maid Park is a great, comfortable place to watch a baseball game - for my money, the Astrodome wasn't so bad either - I've been to the Rangers park a few times and didn't care for it at all. The heat was a huge factor, not to mention getting in and out is a total pain.
The drawings I've seen of the Rangers' new park make it look like it'll be a gem. Hope so. A roof is an absolute necessity given the brutal heat of North Texas for the vast majority of the season.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:30 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times
I know this park will only be 27 years old at time of death, making people feel as if ballparks' lifespans are getting shorter. I think this new ballpark (hopefully renamed back to Rangers Ballpark) will last a lot longer. The owners are also going through the trouble of trying to get as many features from Globe Life reinvented into the new place. The lease was up at Globe Life Park in 2024, and by then I think there would be no question about a new stadium. What would people be saying three years later?

Old 06-19-2016, 07:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I think this new ballpark (hopefully renamed back to Rangers Ballpark)
I wouldn't count on that, the money is too big to ignore corporate sponsorship. You are far more likley to wind up with yet another BUY STUFF.com Stadium.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 PM

431 posts, read 98,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Hard to believe that the Rangers are doing that, considering the yard they have is still a goodie. But that's understandable because of the hot heat.

You'd need one heck of a crane....
Right, because the weather is so extremely hot. You can't go outside. The roof will keep closed. They will have A/C on for every 24 hours. You don't have to go outdoors ballpark anymore. It will sweating on those players, fans and etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Haven't even won a World Series yet in their history & already going through stadiums.
No, they haven't winning the WS for 60 years. They should had a chance. Let's go Rangers!

Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I've always liked the looks of the Arlington ballpark. 27 years doesn't seem like much of a life for a stadium. AT&T Stadium in San Francisco is in its 17th season. Does that mean that in ten years it will need to be replaced?
AT&T has the makings of another Wrigley or Fenway: this one will have staying power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball