Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

Jay Bruce to the Mets. Bruce was hot the final 7 games or so, but this was an unmitigated disaster for the Mets.

Agreed.

He may be ok postseason, too. I'd still let him walk this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Agreed.

He may be ok postseason, too. I'd still let him walk this winter.

Either him or Granderson is going to be gone (along with Cespedes) for an actual center fielder in the winter. Personally, I'd pick up the option for the sole purpose of trading him as I'd rather keep Grandy on the roster next year than Bruce. Even with Cespedes departing they are still going to have a surplus of corner OF only guys (Conforto, Bruce, Grandy, Nimmo) and really only 1 person who can actual play CF who I wouldn't want starting 150+ games a season (Lagares). Perfectly fine late inning defensive replacement or pinch runner, but not an every day starter. IMO, they should make a serious run at Charlie Blackmon in the offseason. He'd be a perfect for them. Ditto with AJ Pollack from Arizona, even better since the D'Backs will have a new front office personal, so they may not view him as highly as Stewart & LaRussa did, so it's possible you can get Pollack on the cheap.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Either him or Granderson is going to be gone (along with Cespedes) for an actual center fielder in the winter. Personally, I'd pick up the option for the sole purpose of trading him as I'd rather keep Grandy on the roster next year than Bruce. Even with Cespedes departing they are still going to have a surplus of corner OF only guys (Conforto, Bruce, Grandy, Nimmo) and really only 1 person who can actual play CF who I wouldn't want starting 150+ games a season (Lagares). Perfectly fine late inning defensive replacement or pinch runner, but not an every day starter. IMO, they should make a serious run at Charlie Blackmon in the offseason. He'd be a perfect for them. Ditto with AJ Pollack from Arizona, even better since the D'Backs will have a new front office personal, so they may not view him as highly as Stewart & LaRussa did, so it's possible you can get Pollack on the cheap.

I disagree on Lagares-think he will be ok offensively when healthy, and with a Defensive WAR that is Heyward like. They will keep Grandy, but in '18, I'd go (assumes we keep Ces) Ces, Lagares, Conforto, with Nimmo the backup. I also want Lagares hitting 9th (pitcher 8th), as wth Reyes, double steal potential, and gappers score both.

If Ces leaves now, I'd go with De Aza, Lagares, Grandy.

I think Lagares can get to .320-.325 OBP, with a .270ish average. W/O arm strength, his BA stinks.

I'd spend post season $ on keeping Ces and chasing Ramos. Between Rivera and Walker and Cabrera, we have a bit of above average middle IF pop/RBIs, and I am sure we will see better SP health next year. We do not need massive HR numbers in OF due to that.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:14 PM

Hopefully his ACL injury didn't poke a hole in his wallet. He was struggling towards the end year but he was great for most of the year.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Default 2017 trade deadline thread

Jose Quintana going from the south side to the north side of Chicago, and the Nationals getting Ryan Madson & Sean Doolittle for the 2 major trades so far this month.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
"Prospects" is really the right word to describe the A's new acquisitions. Thirdbaseman Sheldon Neuse has had 418 at bats in A ball. Pitcher Jesus Luzado has pitched only 13 professional innings, all in Rookie League ball.

Madson was a short term rental, but Doolittle was a home grown A and fan favorite with his eccentric peekaboo look in for the sign...and the fact that he was good when he wasn't hurt.

That is the toughest thing about being an A's fan...you can't ever get attached to anyone because the roster is so fluid. They cannot afford to keep franchise players like Donaldson or Cespedes, so the better they are, the more likely they will be gone.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 PM

J.D. Martinez traded from the Tigers to the D'Backs.
Sounds like Todd Frazier, David Robertson & Tommy Kalhne (really impressive stats this year too) headed to the Yankees, that should be announced after the White Sox game against the Dodgers concludes. Frazier was scratched from the lineup, and I doubt Robertson or Kalhne pitched.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times
Deal is official

to NYY: David Robertson, Todd Frazier, Tommy Kahnle
to CHW: Blake Rutherford, Ian Clarkin, Tito Polo and Tyler Clippard

Still feels really light to me. Rutherford is very good. Clarkin has an extensive injury history and less than amazing stuff. What I've read on him in the last few minutes suggests a #5 starter or mid-leverage bullpen piece. Polo should stick in CF, can run a bit, and has some hitting skills. Almost certainly not a star, but could hold down a major league job. Plus Clippard.

One high level prospect and some guys for 3 useful major leaguers...

The White Sox now with about 10 legit top 100 prospects.

ETA: They're calling up the #1 prospect in baseball, Yoan Moncada (acquired from the Red Sox in the Chris Sale deal)

Old 07-18-2017, 11:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times
A previous Todd Frazier/New York Yankees moment

https://twitter.com/ESPN_Beisbol/sta...37456010100738

Old 07-26-2017, 10:07 AM

David Phelps from the Marlins to the Mariners, Marco Gonzales from the Cards to the Mariners, Jaime Garcia to the Twins, and Trevor Cahill, Ryan Butcher and Brandon Mauer from the Royals to Padres for Travis Wood, Matt Strohm and a teenage prospect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball