Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 02:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times

Advertisements

Terry Collins rips New York Mets after 9-0 loss completes sweep

Quote:
NEW YORK -- With the Mets playing their worst baseball of the season and threatening to fade from contention for a postseason spot, manager Terry Collins went after his team in a postgame news conference and lit into them in a closed-door meeting that lasted about 20 minutes.

...."They are Major League Baseball players. I don't care where they came from. I don't care how they got here," Collins said, simmering at the start of his rant. "The names on their backs and on the front of their uniforms say they are a Major League Baseball player. You come [here], you owe a responsibility to the fans, our fan base and the organization -- to yourself -- the respect for this game to grind it out."

"Starting tomorrow we're going to get after it," Collins concluded. "And those that don't want to get after it? I'll find some who do. Because in Las Vegas there is a whole clubhouse of guys that want to sit in this room. And that's all I have to say."

I think that he is just blowing smoke with the above, managers no longer have the power to threaten players with professional extinction like they used to have before free agency and mega contracts. Regardless of Collins' fury, the club isn't going to want to have a bunch of guys making 12 million a year fleshing out their Triple A roster.

Bobby Valentine is probably the last from that old school of get tough with em managers and he was a spectacular failure in Boston three seasons back. The last tough guy manager who was successful over along period of time was probably Whitey Herzog but even he could not do the sorts of things that a John McGraw used to get away with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 06:20 PM

9,756 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Collins is on his last legs, so he needs to do something. BTW looks like it really worked currently trailing the Padres 8-2. With how anemic their offense has been that games probably over.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:57 AM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Collins will stay on. Wilpons do not write contracts off. He is also correct; I have noticed a lack of effort amongst several players on many occasions. You correct that by trading someone to scare those who wish to stay. Mets should have gotten Lucroy deal done even if it meant Smith had to be in it, as sending D'Arnaud would have been a strong message.

I'd also send Verrett down to send a message- sending him to AA, not AAA.

And even with Conforto in AAA, I'd bench Grandy.

2016 is over, but the attitude needs to be stopped in its tracts. Personally I would prefer Backman in Queens, but Wilpons dislike him. He'd kick the tude out ASAP.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Collins will stay on. Wilpons do not write contracts off. He is also correct; I have noticed a lack of effort amongst several players on many occasions. You correct that by trading someone to scare those who wish to stay. Mets should have gotten Lucroy deal done even if it meant Smith had to be in it, as sending D'Arnaud would have been a strong message.

I'd also send Verrett down to send a message- sending him to AA, not AAA.

And even with Conforto in AAA, I'd bench Grandy.

2016 is over, but the attitude needs to be stopped in its tracts. Personally I would prefer Backman in Queens, but Wilpons dislike him. He'd kick the tude out ASAP.
Are they losing because they have a bad attitude, or do they have a sour attitude because they are losing?

Old 08-13-2016, 12:32 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Are they losing because they have a bad attitude, or do they have a sour attitude because they are losing?
They are losing because they don't have enough quality hitters. Same ole Mets they thought they had the five best starters who would all pitch a shut out everyday and if they could scratch out 1-2 runs they would win 110 games.

Lets sign last years flavor of the summer and unload a quality hitter who actually wants to play in NY but needs money.

I hate being a Mets fan. But I can't switch to the Yankees.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Vicious circular problem.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
They are losing because they don't have enough quality hitters. Same ole Mets they thought they had the five best starters who would all pitch a shut out everyday and if they could scratch out 1-2 runs they would win 110 games.

Lets sign last years flavor of the summer and unload a quality hitter who actually wants to play in NY but needs money.

I hate being a Mets fan. But I can't switch to the Yankees.

Also healthy guys not performing..like Granderson for example. Like D'Arnaud who has forgotten how to hit.

The present lineup should be able to scratch out more than 1-2 runs. Not 7, but 3 or 4 should not be a rarity.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 AM

21,021 posts, read 27,245,104 times
When a team chooses not to perform up to a standard of winning, it is fair for their coach or manager to throw them under the bus. Major League Baseball players need to realize they are playing in the majors, not the minors. If they want to earn a paycheck for playing bad, the bus is readily available for one-way trips to minor league affiliates and, in the offseason, to other clubs.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:48 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
I don't know what on earth is wrong with Collins. He's been having a meltdown recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball