Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 04:20 AM

33,815 posts, read 16,819,867 times

Advertisements

Everybody messes up in St. Louis Cardinals' controversial win - SweetSpot- ESPN

This crew must be disciplined by MLB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:55 PM

9,704 posts, read 7,381,440 times
That was really bad by the umpires. I think MLB is going to rewrite this in the off season. Much like how the NFL reviews all scoring plays & turnovers automatically, I'm pretty sure MLB is going to review all game-ending plays automatically now after this debacle as well they should. The umpires really screwed up.....however I'm not laying all the blame on them. I've gotta give some of it to Bryan Price, Reds manager as well. He can up with all the excuses that he wants to "We couldn't hear the phone because the crowd was too loud" "We were going to review it, but were too late" "We were going to lose anyways, so I just wanted to avoid the inevitable" of course that last quote was just made up, but the first 2 were actual quotes after the game, but the fact remains the same is he should've been out asking to challenge BEFORE Carpenter even reached home plate. There were a lot of people at fault here. The rule as it's written is terrible and needs to be updated to a proper language (how long is "immediate??" Immediate like 1 second, 5 seconds, 150 seconds??) and even the umps didn't know that immediate rule at the end of games. I think there was a quote by the crew chief saying something to the extent of "I waited 30 seconds for the Reds manager to come out to request a challenge, and after 30 seconds without him asking we left the field." Technically, as written, that was a violation of the rules. The umps screwed up because SOMEONE had to have seen the ball kick up and hit the sign, so somebody should say "you know, before we officially end this, I thought I saw it kick up and hit the sign above the fence, so we should review it to see whether or not it is a ground rule double." That would've been the smart thing to do. I blame him the least but he's gotta take a little blame, but Adam Duvall, the Reds LF should've immediately put his arms up right away. I said can't blame him all that much because he probably know the ground rules as it's the umpires & managers job to figure out what the ground rules are. Finally, Price should've come out immediately to ask for a replay. It was a catastrophe all around!

Old 09-30-2016, 05:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,004,388 times
Bryan Price had nothing to lose by mounting an immediate challenge. It isn't as though had the challenge been denied, he would have needed to save that challenge for later in the game. It may have been a matter of Price simply registering one more loss in what has been a dismal year in Cincinnati, and the idea that this needed to be contested to the last possible appeal, did not occur to him until too late.

Still, I cannot imagine Bruce Bochy, regardless of a game's meaningfulness in the race, not immediately having been on top of a situation like this.

Price screwed the pooch on this one, the in too much of a rush umpire crew could have been stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball