Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 12:42 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I guess that's slightly better than being 17-2 and actually losing a game, but it still sucks. And I hate the Yankees closing schedule. 6 games left against the Blue Jays, who for the last couple of years have not played very well against them.

It's a done deal for the Yankees locking up the first wild card position. Red Sox will hang on and win the division.

After last night my Twins are sitting real well in contention for the 2nd wild card position with a 3 1/2 game lead over their nearest competitor. I'm not quite counting my chickens, but I'm real optimistic.

If we get into the 1 game wildcard it'll be IN Yankee Stadium which is a veritable house of horrors for the Twins. I'm glad it's only 1 game because if it were a series, I wouldn't like our chances against the Yankees. We seem to be capable of beating anybody in a series but them. One game I know we can squeak out.

If out of the blue NY wins out and Boston collapses to the wildcard that would be better for my Twins. We match up much better with the Red Sox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

If out of the blue NY wins out and Boston collapses to the wildcard that would be better for my Twins. We match up much better with the Red Sox.
Really? Against the Yankees this season the Twins are 2-4.

Against those Red Sox whom they "match up much better"....they are 2-4.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Really? Against the Yankees this season the Twins are 2-4.

Against those Red Sox whom they "match up much better"....they are 2-4.

Yes, really. I'm talking this year and in the past. Yankees seem to own us.

I also like the thought of Brian Dozier who nearly always pulls the ball attacking the green monster. Also, Joe Mauer who has been absolutely on fire hits mostly to left field. He doesn't hit with a great degree of power and often has warning track power. Warning track power in Boston's left field translates into doubles off the wall and hitting doubles is what Mauer is best at.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:45 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,468,918 times
The Twins still have what, 5 games left against the Tigers?? Even if they do get swept in Cleveland which I don't think they will as I think they'll win at least 1 game they should finish at worst 3-5 which would get them to 83-79. If the Angels win out they could only finish 84-78, Royals could finish as high as 84-78 if they win out (and they still have a makeup in Yankee Stadium and 3 games against the Diamondbacks), Rangers could finish as high as 85-77 if they win out and the Mariners can finish 83-79 if they win out and since they play 3 games with the Angels to end the year, they will knock each other out. Taking into account who the Royals play, and the Rangers playing 3 games vs. Houston, it's looking like a pretty safe bet for the Twins to get that spot. I think even 2-6 to end the season may very well get them that Wildcard card. 84 wins (4-4, shouldn't be that difficult with the Tigers 5 times) will guarantee them at least a tiebreaker since I don't see the Rangers sweeping Houston, plus they very well could lose another game to Oakland.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:24 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Looks we will finish somewhere with around 90 wins. Never expected that before the year tbh. Nor did I expect for Aaron Judge to be OPSing 1.000 with 46 Homeruns, or for Gary Sanchez to hit 32 Homeruns despite missing a month, or for Didi to have a Jeteresque season. That said the sheer amount of heartbreaking losses this year was astounding, I have never watched a team that rips out your heart as much in late games as this year's version of the Yankees. Usually most teams have a couple of heartwrenching losses a year, yet the Yankees have had a good dozen of those in 2017

Old 09-24-2017, 04:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
It's a done deal for the Yankees locking up the first wild card position. Red Sox will hang on and win the division.

After last night my Twins are sitting real well in contention for the 2nd wild card position with a 3 1/2 game lead over their nearest competitor. I'm not quite counting my chickens, but I'm real optimistic.

If we get into the 1 game wildcard it'll be IN Yankee Stadium which is a veritable house of horrors for the Twins. I'm glad it's only 1 game because if it were a series, I wouldn't like our chances against the Yankees. We seem to be capable of beating anybody in a series but them. One game I know we can squeak out.

and of course, it should be well known to everyone that Minnesota has never lost any playoff to Boston, in any sport

Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
and of course, it should be well known to everyone that Minnesota has never lost any playoff to Boston, in any sport

The good news is that Jim Lonborg won't be available for the wildcard game if it would happen.

Old Twins/Red Sox fans will know what I'm talking about.

Doing chores on my folk's farm and listening on my transistor to THAT game caused a few cattle to get hit on the head with my corn shovel in the bunks.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
the good news is that jim lonborg won't be available for the wildcard game if it would happen.

Old twins/red sox fans will know what i'm talking about.

Doing chores on my folk's farm and listening on my transistor to that game caused a few cattle to get hit on the head with my corn shovel in the bunks.
Yaz!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:25 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If Twins get past us I will be rooting for them to knock out Boston or whoever they play. Especially Boston

I actually like the Twins a lot, but I know that Twins fans must hate us lol

Old 09-24-2017, 02:51 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Twins still have what, 5 games left against the Tigers?? Even if they do get swept in Cleveland which I don't think they will as I think they'll win at least 1 game they should finish at worst 3-5 which would get them to 83-79. If the Angels win out they could only finish 84-78, Royals could finish as high as 84-78 if they win out (and they still have a makeup in Yankee Stadium and 3 games against the Diamondbacks), Rangers could finish as high as 85-77 if they win out and the Mariners can finish 83-79 if they win out and since they play 3 games with the Angels to end the year, they will knock each other out. Taking into account who the Royals play, and the Rangers playing 3 games vs. Houston, it's looking like a pretty safe bet for the Twins to get that spot. I think even 2-6 to end the season may very well get them that Wildcard card. 84 wins (4-4, shouldn't be that difficult with the Tigers 5 times) will guarantee them at least a tiebreaker since I don't see the Rangers sweeping Houston, plus they very well could lose another game to Oakland.
Since this post yesterday, the Twins have won 2 in a row. Even if they lose their final 6 games (and with 3 left against Detroit at home, that seems almost impossible) the worst they will finish is 82-80. The Rangers lost again to the A's, so the highest they can finish is 84-78. Angels haven't played since yesterday's post, so they are still on the 84-78 trajectory if they win out. Royals are 1-1 (currently down 7 in the 8th), so drop them to 83-79 if they win their final 7 games starting Monday. Seattle lost yesterday, so the highest they can finish is now 82-80. Baltimore has been eliminated with 2 losses to the Rays (they can finish as high as 80-82), while Tampa even with a loss to the Orioles today (down 4-9 in the 9th) can still finish 82-80. As I said yesterday, if Minnesota could finish 2-6 their final 8 games that would probably be good enough to get the 2nd Wildcard.....and they've gotten the 2 wins. 1 more will likely clinch them no worse than a tiebreaker game while 2 wins would likely lock them in as I can't see any of these other teams getting to 84.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball