Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
What a baseballer that Mike Trout could have been
Trout could do more with another club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
That's what some people thought about Griffey and Pujols, but sometimes the best play is simply to stay where you've been successful.

Meanwhile, contracts can have a variety of effects. They can put a franchise on the map, making it easier to attract and sign other free agents. They can help put fannies in the seats, thereby increasing TV and product revenues. They can sometimes help propel a team into the post-season where the really high-dollar revenues are. All of these are things that a club has to take into account in weighing the advisability of long-term deals.

Technology has not produced a reliable crystal ball yet, so sometimes these big deals do go south. That's just the nature of the game. Let us remember that the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla $1.2 million per year, and will be through 2035 I believe it is. You've got to pay for a rod and tackle if you want to reel in the big fish.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Let us remember that the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla $1.2 million per year, and will be through 2035 I believe it is.
Can't believe the Mets though Bonilla would still be productive in 2035.

I was looking for some details on the deal and came across this article which also explains why teams (and players) would do this kind of deal.
Quote:
To see the deal as the Mets would have seen it, let's say the Wilpons put $5.9 million into a Madoff account in 2000 and got a conservative (by Madoff standards) 10 percent annual return. By 2011, when they would have to pay Bonilla for the first time, they would have already grown their pot to $16.83 million. Even with paying off Bonilla every year, they would wind up with a $49 million profit on the deal. Of course, the Madoff returns weren't real, which complicates this hindsight.

The other way to think of it is that the Mets didn't have to pay Bonilla his $5.9 million in 2000 and could use it on other free agents. Sure enough, the Mets acquired Mike Hampton from the Astros right before they dumped Bonilla. Hampton's cost was conveniently $5.75 million
This is an extreme example, but backloaded, and long, deals work the same way.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:00 AM

Indeed. And some clubs (e.g., the Nationals) have had a history of back-loading contracts and/or including deferred money in them. Those terms come with interest in many cases, but current financial flexibility is often the key to the deal.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:53 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Pujols is now 37 years old with five years remaining (including 2017) on his mega contract. He is still owed 140 million for those five years.

At the moment Pujols has a .609 OPS. All MLB has a .707 OPS as of this morning. Pujols OBA the last three seasons:

His WAR since 2013:

He is now a fulltime DH and thus makes no defensive contribution at all. This season he has a good chance to fall below replacement level in value.

How long should the Angels continue to play him? He certainly isn't likely to get better as he ages. Not playing him means you are paying 28-30 million a year for nothing, but playing him when he is sub replacement level makes no sense either. It would seem like the easiest type of player to find would be a DH, so it isn't like the Angels have no options.
well he has a guaranteed contract so the Angels will keep paying him until it's done just like the Yankees did with A Rod and Tex.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:24 AM

And Steve Kemp. I don't recall that Kemp or any of the others was ever 4th in the league in RBI's at the time though.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:54 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
It could be that Albert Pujols career is over as he was cut today by the Angels. Story on WaPo.

Excerpt: "ANAHEIM, Calif. — Albert Pujols was cut by the Los Angeles Angels on Thursday, abruptly ending the 41-year-old superstar slugger’s decade with his second major league team. The Angels surprisingly announced the move to designate Pujols for assignment a day after he wasn’t in their lineup for the slumping club’s fourth consecutive loss. The three-time NL MVP for St. Louis was in the final season of a 10-year, $240 million contract with Los Angeles. Pujols is fifth in major league history with 667 career homers, and the first baseman is 13th in major league history with 3,253 hits. A 10-time All-Star and the oldest active player in the majors, he is batting .198 this season with five homers and 12 RBIs while playing in 24 of the Angels’ 29 games...."

Version on ESPN is here.

CBS Sports version is here.
Excerpt: "According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Pujols was upset he was not in Wednesday's lineup against Rays lefty Ryan Yarbrough, and the decision to bench him came from the front office, not manager Joe Maddon. It's unclear whether Wednesday's disagreement contributed to Thursday's move."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:18 PM

834 posts, read 528,874 times
Pujols just cleared waivers. I'm not so sure anyone will pick him up. With limited seating capacities this year, no team could even use him to sell tickets.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:39 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Pujols just cleared waivers. I'm not so sure anyone will pick him up. With limited seating capacities this year, no team could even use him to sell tickets.
I’m doing some errands and I just heard over the radio (A ‘sports station’.....AM 790 in Houston) in my car that the Dodgers picked him up.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:01 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I’m doing some errands and I just heard over the radio (A ‘sports station’.....AM 790 in Houston) in my car that the Dodgers picked him up.
^^^^^ After hearing the above, a sportscaster, on the same program, said that he had heard the night before that the Cardinals had signed Pujols.

After posting the above post, someone repped me, with an included message that, according to Major League Baseball, Pujols has been picked up by the Cardinals.

I just found this on msn.com, written by Nick Selbe, breaking news writer for Sports Illustrated:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...it/ar-BB1gMenN

According to Selbe, it's the Dodgers.

Selbe also puts in his two cents as to why this might make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball