Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 03:41 PM

34,123 posts, read 17,183,073 times

Advertisements

Not sure who would win, but game today should not have ended as it did. MC should have been called out. If I were Rojas, I have him in vs Fish who deserve him out there, bench him vs Phils Monday, after discussing it once the Fish series is done this weekend. I tell him why he is being benched also, Monday just before the game.

That was Bush League. It merits riding the bench for one game. His teammates should NOT have gone out to greet him, too. I'd also address that if I were the manager. In a clubhouse meeting after the series ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 06:51 PM

9,792 posts, read 7,515,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not sure who would win, but game today should not have ended as it did. MC should have been called out. If I were Rojas, I have him in vs Fish who deserve him out there, bench him vs Phils Monday, after discussing it once the Fish series is done this weekend. I tell him why he is being benched also, Monday just before the game.

That was Bush League. It merits riding the bench for one game. His teammates should NOT have gone out to greet him, too. I'd also address that if I were the manager. In a clubhouse meeting after the series ends.

Alonso very well could have won the game on the next pitch or in the 12th inning or the 21st inning whatever. I think the Mets win regardless. Umpire's really screwed up, I mean it's in the official rule book where a strike takes precedent over a hit batter (i.e. see all those times where a batter swings at ball that ends up hitting them) so even if Conforto didn't lean into the pitch he should've been struck out regardless. Hopefully Mattingly lodges a protest and MLB does the right thing and picks up the resumption of the rest of this game before Saturday's game.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:58 PM

Default 1-6

Marlins 2 @ Mets 3.

Brandon Nimmo started the Mets first with a double, a Francisco Lindor flyout and Michael Conforto strike out made it 2 outs, Pete Alonso walked before Dom Smith lined out to end it. Lindor & Conforto both walked with 2 outs in the 3rd, but Alonzo ended the inning with a pop up. Smith singled to start the 4th, Jeff McNeil and James McCann had 1 out walks to load the bases before the Mets ended the inning with a double play. Brian Anderson had a 1 out single in the 5th, 2 batters later Jazz Chisholm walked but Chad Wallach grounded out to end the inning. Lindor singled with 1 out in the 5th, Conforto was hit by a pitch and Alonso walked to load the bases before Smith had the first run of the game on a sac fly scoring Lindor before Jonathan Villar ended the inning with a strikeout. Jon Berti started the 6th with a single, scored on a Dickerson double, 2 groundouts followed (the second of which moved Dickerson to 3rd) and Jesus Aguilar gave the Marlins a lead with a 2 out single. Dickerson had a 1 out single, moved to second on a ground out, went to 3rd on a wild pitch, but got left at 3rd on a Starling Marte strike out. McNeil tied the game in the 9th on a leadoff home run, following a McCann ground out pinch hitter Luis Guillorme singled, Nimmo doubled, Lindor was intentionally walked to load the bases, and the Mets walked it off on a Conforto hit by pitch which should’ve been ruled a strikeout as the home plate umpire was in mid strike 3 call before he ruled the HBP. A couple things regarding that before I get to the totals:
1) I think the Mets wind up winning the game anyways. They had better chances throughout, so I think they would’ve gotten one in. Hell, the next batter Alonso could’ve won the game himself with a single and really I wouldn’t have been surprised if he had a walk off grand slam
2) Anthony Bass in the closers role sucks. The first game he blew last week vs. Tampa he didn’t seem confident or comfortable at all, and today he was on a tightrope. In a division as tough as this is going to be, you can’t be giving away potential wins like Bass has been giving away
3) I’m not debating the fact Conforto got hit because he clearly did, but the pitch was literally a strike and the MLB rule book states a called strike or strike in general takes precedent over any hit by pitch (as an example look at all the times a batter gets hit by a pitch but swings. They don’t get first on the HBP, they get a strike for the swing which takes precedent). So aside from the fact Conforto leaned into the pitch shouldn’t even matter because it was a strike and he should’ve been out regardless. My big thing with this is how a play of this stature isn’t reviewed….sure they reviewed the play to confirm Conforto got hit which he clearly did, but for all the crap MLB reviews now, they have to make intent to get out of the way of a pitch 100% reviewable now. Embarrassing for the league and the game how this game ended! Hope Mattingly protests this, and MLB does the right thing and picks the game up from this situation bases loaded in the 9th, 2 outs, Alonso up. It’d be fine if Alonso hits a grand slam on the next pitch, at least the Mets and Marlins would win and lose fairly, respectively. Walker allowed 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 walks and 4 strikeouts in 6 innings, and Edwin Diaz (1-0) had a walk and strikeout in a hitless inning. Nick Niedert allowed 1 run on 3 hits with 5 walks and 3 strikeouts in 4.1 in his first career start, Richard Bleier (1st hold) and Yimi Garcia (2nd hold) had 1 hit and 1 strikeout in 2 innings while Bass (0-2, 2nd blown save) allowed 2 runs on 3 hits (1 home run) with a walk and a questionable hit batter. In other East action this weekend, the Phillies head to Atlanta for 3 games and the Nationals are in LA for 3 games, both series begin on Friday.

Teams have Friday off before resuming the series in Queens on Saturday. Jacob deGrom (0-0, 0.00) starts for the Mets while Trevor Rogers (0-1, 4.50) goes for the Marlins with game time scheduled for 1:10.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:02 AM

Default 4-6

They didn't let the Conforto loss on Thursday effect them so far as they've won their next 3 games including a season high in runs (14) and hits (17) in what was a blowout of the Braves, their second straight win against the Braves after going only 4-9 against them last year, AND a win against Jacob deGrom on Saturday where Jazz Chisholm had a home run for the only run deGrom would allow in the game. They have 2 more in Atlanta before they had home for 3 with the Giants and 2 with the Orioles at the beginning of the next week. Elsewhere in the division the Mets followed up with a double header sweep against the Phillies, and they'll have 2 more games remaining this week in Queens, the Braves preceded the Marlins welcome by winning 2 of 3 against the Phillies, and the Nats were swept in Los Angeles, before getting some starters back off the covid list and splitting the first 2 of a 3 game series in St. Louis. Mets are in Denver to play the Rockies, Braves are at Wrigley to play the Cubs (yay Friday afternoon baseball at Wrigley is back!), Nats play 4 with the D'Backs in DC, and the Phillies host the Cards at the bank. All series with the excpetion of Nats/D'Backs both start on Friday and are 3 games while the Nats/D'Backs starts at 3 and is a 4 game series. Mets (4-3) and Phillies (6-5) are both tied for first, Marlins are 1.5 back, Braves (4-7) are 2 back and the Nats (2-6) are 2.5 back in the early going.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:03 PM

Default 7-8

They had a 9th inning lead on Thursday but lost the game (already 3rd time this year they've lead heading into the 9th [or their pitching half of the 9th] and lost the game) and on Sunday allowed only 1 run but lost the game because Giants starter Alex Wood was terrific, but outside of that, the rest of the week was fantastic! Had a nice 9th inning comeback in the Saturday game after blowing a multi-run lead in the late innings. Got 3 of 4 in Atlanta, and than 2 of 3 against the Giants. In other divisional action this week, the Braves followed up the Marlins series loss by winning 2 of 3 at Wrigley, Mets won 3 against the Phillies in Queens (with the final game postponed), and than the Mets went to Denver and won 2 of 3 against the Rockies, Phillies went home and won 2 of 3 against the Cards, while the Nats won 2 of 3 in St. Louis, and split 4 home games with the D'Backs at 2 wins apiece. Mets (7-4) are in first 1 game up on the 8-7 Phillies, Marlins 2 back, Braves are 7-9 and 2.5 back while the 5-8 Nats are 3 back.

Marlins get the Orioles in for 2 games beginning on Tuesday, and then hit the road to San Francisco for 4 games starting on Thursday, Mets make a detour in Chicago for 3 games against the Cubs on the way home for a 3 game weekend series with the Nationals, Braves head to the Bronx for 2 games against the Yankees, and than down to Gwinnett for 3 vs. the D'backs, Phillies welcome the Giants into the Bank before closing the week in Denver while the Nats will play 3 games against the Cards again before heading up the Queens.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:53 AM

Default 9-12

2 and 4 in the 6 games this week as they split 2 with the Orioles before losing 3 of the 4 games to the Giants. But luckily almost everyone else in the division was just as bad as the division went 2-2-6 in the 10 series they played this week; 1 of the 2 wins was an intra-division series (Mets over the Nats) while the Nats over the Cards in mid week action was the only other series win. Braves with 1 in New York was the only other split; Mets got swept in Chicago against the Cubs, and the Braves (vs. the D’Backs including a 7 inning no hitter by Madison Bumgarner in a 7 inning double header on Sunday) and Phillies (vs. Giants, @ Rockies) each lost 2 of 3. Mets lead at 9-8, Phillies are 1 back at 10-11, while the Marlins, Nats (8-11) and Braves (9-12) are all tied for 3rd at 2 back.

They’ll play this entire week on the road; 3 in Milwaukee on the way back east, and then 3 in DC, the first visit to the Nations Capital. Nats play an interleague series in Florida against Toronto mid week, Phillies play in St. Louis for 4 before hosting the Mets at the weekend, Mets will play 2 in Queens against the AL East leading Red Sox before traveling to Philly, and the Braves will welcome the Cubs to Cobb County for 4 before traveling to Dunedin, FL, the Jays temporary home for a weekend series with the Blue Jays.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:04 PM

Default 11-16

Won 2 of 3 in Milwaukee, but then got swept in DC for 3 games. Nats split 2 games in Florida against the Jays to start the week, Mets only allowed 3 runs all series to the Red Sox but got swept in the 2 games because the offense only scored 1 run, Phillies split 4 games in St. Louis but has to feel like that series got away because they had won 2 of the first 3, had Aaron Nola on the mound for the finale and lost in extra innings, and the Braves won 3 of 4 against the Cubs before losing 3 straight in Florida. The 12-12 Nats and 11-11 Mets are each tied for first, Phillies are 1 back at 13-15, Atlants 2 back at 12-16, and the Marlins are 2.5 back.

Marlins will play all 6 games at home this week. Following a Monday off day, the D’Backs will come into Florida for 3 games starting Tuesday night, and then they’ll host the Brewers for 3 games at the weekend. Nats have 3 at home against the Braves starting Tuesday and than 3 in the Bronx, NY vs. the Yankees, Phillies play 4 at home vs. the Brewers before traveling to Atlanta to play 3 with the Braves, and the Mets play 4 in St. Louis before coming home to play 3 with the AZ Snakes.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:17 PM

Default 15-18

Pretty good week. They got a sweep of the D’Backs to start the week, but then lost 2 of 3 against the Brewers to end the week. Nats lost 5 of 6 games this week, all 3 at home to the Braves and then 2 of 3 in New York against the Yankees, Phillies swept 4 games from the Brewers and then lost 2 of 3 in Atlanta, while the Mets split 4 games in St. Louis and then went back to Queens and swept the Arizona D’Backs. Mets are in first at 16-13, Phillies are 18-17 and 1 back, Braves are 1.5 back at an even 17-17, Marlins are 3 back, and the Nats are in last 3.5 back at 13-17.

Marlins play all 7 games on the road this week; 4 in Arizona to start the week, and then 3 in Dodger Stadium, Nats, following a Monday off day host the Phillies for 3 before heading out to Arizona on the weekend, Phillies will follow the Nats series with 3 games in Florida against the Toronto Blue Jays, The Braves start with 3 games in Atlanta against the Braves before ending with 3 in Milwaukee, while the Mets will have 5 games against the AL East this week; 2 at home midweek vs. the Orioles, and then 3 over the weekend at the orange juice carton in St. Petersburg against the AL Champion Rays.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:38 PM
Status: "Get used to it, OKC: I-335 and I-344." (set 10 hours ago)

52,727 posts, read 48,048,283 times
These guys are in last place in the NL East, but they have......--- Are you ready for this? ----- a plus-20 run differential???

At last check, they do.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:47 PM

8,988 posts, read 17,333,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
These guys are in last place in the NL East, but they have......--- Are you ready for this? ----- a plus-20 run differential???

At last check, they do.
Not anymore after that disaster in Washington a few nights ago. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball