U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 04:17 AM

19,250 posts, read 16,745,163 times

Advertisements

Here is my updated list of managers out, managers speculated to separate, and managers staying. I project activity Sunday and Monday as the regular season ends.

Out
  • Ausmus, Brad; Detroit Tigers (American League)
Probable
  • Gibbons, John; Toronto Blue Jays (American League)
  • Mackanin, Pete; Philadelphia Phillies (National League)
  • Matheny, Mike; Saint Louis Cardinals (National League)
Questionable
  • Collins, Terry; New York Mets (National League)
  • Snitker, Brian; Atlanta Braves (National League)
In
  • Melvin, Bob; Oakland Atheltics (American League) - extended through 2019 season
Vacancy
  • Detroit Tigers (American League)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:31 PM

5,966 posts, read 4,003,574 times
Pete Mackinon will be heading to the owner's suite at CBP as an advisor to the GM, so the Phillies will have an opening.
The Mets will not be renewing Terry Collin's contract, so the Mets will have an opening as well.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:03 PM

36,190 posts, read 17,192,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Bob Melvin is staying with the Oakland Athletic through the 2019 season, general manager David Frost will have to participate in the off-season by adding team members who play baseball and win games.
Isn't that something which would be done irrespective of the team's manager?

The A's would love to add winning players to the roster, but the established ones cost more than they can afford. They have to hope that their minor league players live up to their promise and that they can hoodwink a few other GMs in trades. The latter is far more difficult now than it was when "Moneyball" was written.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:52 PM

36,190 posts, read 17,192,457 times
Terry Collins will not be fired, he has circumvented that ignominy by resigning. He will be transferred to a front office job.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:16 AM

19,250 posts, read 16,745,163 times
Here is my updated list of managers out, managers speculated to separate, and managers staying at the end of the regular season.

Out
  • Ausmus, Brad; Detroit Tigers (American League)
  • Collins, Terry; New York Mets (National League) - transferring to Mets' front office
  • Mackanin, Pete; Philadelphia Phillies (National League) - transferring to Phillies' front office
Probable
  • Gibbons, John; Toronto Blue Jays (American League)
  • Matheny, Mike; Saint Louis Cardinals (National League)
Questionable
  • Snitker, Brian; Atlanta Braves (National League)
In
  • Melvin, Bob; Oakland Atheltics (American League) - extended through 2019 season
Vacancy
  • Detroit Tigers (American League)
  • New York Mets (National League)
  • Philadelphia Phillies (National League)

Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,970,177 times
I knew it was about time that Ausmus had to go. I liked Jim Leyland though. I still cannot believe the Reds re-signed Bryan Price. They should have fired him last season, as 7express mentioned. That re-signing of Pryce was a joke.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Status: "Slightly epter than last Thursday." (set 15 hours ago)

22,791 posts, read 11,790,177 times
Gibbons can't be blamed for this disaster of a season. The brass realizes it and yesterday confirmed the entire coaching staff will be back for 2018.

All bets are off though, if they limp into June under .500.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 PM

John Farrell has been fired as Red Sox manager. He's pretty much the only manager fired this year. Ausmus is gone as well but unlike Farrell, Brad Ausmus was not fired but did not have his contract renewed.

Carolina Knight, since you said that Farrell is safe, you may want to rethink that. The Red Sox fired him after the ALDS.

John Farrell fired by Red Sox | Boston Herald

Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 AM

2,938 posts, read 4,330,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
John Farrell has been fired as Red Sox manager. He's pretty much the only manager fired this year. Ausmus is gone as well but unlike Farrell, Brad Ausmus was not fired but did not have his contract renewed.

Carolina Knight, since you said that Farrell is safe, you may want to rethink that. The Red Sox fired him after the ALDS.

John Farrell fired by Red Sox | Boston Herald

That's insane. He WON the division for crying out loud. Does the ownership want to say that the program needs to go in a different direction? The only direction is down. They got beat out in the playoffs. It happens.

One of the names already being mentioned as a replacement is Ron Gardenhire, the former manager of the Twins. Gardy would be smart to avoid this rat's nest. He's used to working for ownership that stands behind their managers way past what other organizations would do. Look at how the Twins kept Paul Molitor after last years disastrous 100+ losing season and this year I believe he may get the manager of the year award with a 26 win turnaround while using only a few veterans and a bunch of kids.

I like Gardenhire and would love to see him managing again some day, but for an organization with reasonable expectations.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
That's insane. He WON the division for crying out loud. Does the ownership want to say that the program needs to go in a different direction? The only direction is down. They got beat out in the playoffs. It happens.

One of the names already being mentioned as a replacement is Ron Gardenhire, the former manager of the Twins. Gardy would be smart to avoid this rat's nest. He's used to working for ownership that stands behind their managers way past what other organizations would do. Look at how the Twins kept Paul Molitor after last years disastrous 100+ losing season and this year I believe he may get the manager of the year award with a 26 win turnaround while using only a few veterans and a bunch of kids.

I like Gardenhire and would love to see him managing again some day, but for an organization with reasonable expectations.
I agree that the owner should not fire a manager when they won the Division but I've never liked Farrell anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or