U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2017, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,198 posts, read 2,025,850 times
Reputation: 1301

Advertisements

The hot seat is just at hand. Who do you think will be fired?

I list Bryan Price, John Gibbons, John Farrell, Brad Ausmus, and Craig Counsel.

And also, Jeff Bannister for the Texas Rangers. Rangers were good under Ron Washington but not Bannister.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 08-10-2017 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 PM
 
403 posts, read 148,660 times
Reputation: 500
Girardi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,391 posts, read 17,100,106 times
Reputation: 4908
Craig Counsel (Milwaukee Brewers, National League; 2015) is safe. The Brewers have made an opportunity this season with the Chicago Cubs and Saint Louis Cardinals having slow starts.

John Ferrell (Boston Red Sox, American League; 2014) is also safe as the Red Sox are leading the American League East Division or are securing a wild card berth.

Brad Ausmus (Detroit Tigers, American League; 2014), John Gibbons (Toronto Blue Jays, American League; 2013), and Bryan Price (Cincinnati Reds, National League; 2014) are earning firings.

Pete Mackanin (Philadelphia Phillies, National League; 2015) should be fired for his team owning the worst record this season in Major League Baseball.

Bob Melvin (Oakland Athletics, American League; 2011) is overdue to be fired. Three years bottom dwelling in the American League West Division is noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,130 posts, read 4,088,952 times
Reputation: 2212
Ausmus looks to be as good as gone. Should have fired Price last off season, so no reason to fire him this season.
I say Gibbons is back. The team got hit bad with injuries, hard to blame that om the manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,198 posts, read 2,025,850 times
Reputation: 1301
^^ The thing is, the Jays were 74-88 during Gibbons first year in his second stint as manager of the Blue Jays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,198 posts, read 2,025,850 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Craig Counsel (Milwaukee Brewers, National League; 2015) is safe. The Brewers have made an opportunity this season with the Chicago Cubs and Saint Louis Cardinals having slow starts.

John Ferrell (Boston Red Sox, American League; 2014) is also safe as the Red Sox are leading the American League East Division or are securing a wild card berth.

Brad Ausmus (Detroit Tigers, American League; 2014), John Gibbons (Toronto Blue Jays, American League; 2013), and Bryan Price (Cincinnati Reds, National League; 2014) are earning firings.

Pete Mackanin (Philadelphia Phillies, National League; 2015) should be fired for his team owning the worst record this season in Major League Baseball.

Bob Melvin (Oakland Athletics, American League; 2011) is overdue to be fired. Three years bottom dwelling in the American League West Division is noticeable.
The thing about Melvin though is, the Athletics were really good in 2012. They won the AL West but lost to Detroit in the ALDS and would lose to the Tigers again the year later after winning the AL West again. In 2014 the A's won the Wild Card but lost to Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 05:20 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,391 posts, read 17,100,106 times
Reputation: 4908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Ausmus looks to be as good as gone. Should have fired Price last off season, so no reason to fire him this season.
I say Gibbons is back. The team got hit bad with injuries, hard to blame that om the manager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
^^ The thing is, the Jays were 74-88 during Gibbons first year in his second stint as manager of the Blue Jays.
The Blue Jays should be trending upward. Gibbons could stay around for 2018, but members of his coaching staff may not return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 05:22 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,391 posts, read 17,100,106 times
Reputation: 4908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
The thing about Melvin though is, the Athletics were really good in 2012. They won the AL West but lost to Detroit in the ALDS and would lose to the Tigers again the year later after winning the AL West again. In 2014 the A's won the Wild Card but lost to Kansas City.
The problem with Melvin is the Athletics are fifth in the American League West Division for the third consecutive season. He is not getting the job done. If the Athletics were winning and participating in postseason play, Melvin would be safe. As the Athletics are losing, it is time to separate from Melvin in order to win later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
36,964 posts, read 17,437,867 times
Reputation: 16804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The problem with Melvin is the Athletics are fifth in the American League West Division for the third consecutive season. He is not getting the job done. If the Athletics were winning and participating in postseason play, Melvin would be safe. As the Athletics are losing, it is time to separate from Melvin in order to win later.
The A's aren't losing because of Melvin's management, they are losing because:
A) The club cannot afford to retain any stars and must retool for several years after successful periods
B) The other teams have caught up with Billy Beane in terms of advanced metric analysis. Beane's thing was to exploit knowledge gaps in the other teams about the true value of some types of players. Those gaps have closed now that all teams have metric staffs. Beane no longer knows things that the others don't.

Melvin is mananging in the same metric friendly way he always has, but at the moment he has a lot of bad players...and if they get good, they are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,650 posts, read 6,018,130 times
Reputation: 5447
Ausmus is as good as gone. No playoff appearances, attendance has dipped each year of his management and there's no reason to keep him around to lead the rebuild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top