Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 05:44 PM

406 posts, read 618,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I'm sure most people are thinking this, but nobody has said it yet: This team reminds me so much of the '96 Yankees. A bunch of young home-grown players who are slowly learning how to win championship ballgames, a sprinkling of veterans to guide them, and some pretty solid starting pitchers and bullpen. All of them gaining confidence with each win. Someone always stepping up in each game. Seeming to thrive with the increasing pressure. Wasn't Girardi on that '96 team?
Yes, as someone else has said, the '96 team gets compared to the current squad quite a bit. The bullpen has kind of turned into a Graeme LLoyd affect plus a couple. LLoyd was a mid-season acquisition for the 1996 Yankees and drew the fury of fans with his repeated regular season failures. Once the postseason started, he was lights out and fans could live happily ever after with the trophy and the decision to bring him from the Brewers.

The Bronx Bombers let more than a few big leads getaway drawing the outrage of a lot of people in 2017. DROB, Kahnle, and Chapman have been spectacular in the playoffs. Chapman showed signs of coming out of his funk when it was still September though. Betances has unfortunately not been able to regain effectiveness.

A widely talked about story is how loud old Yankee Stadium was when Girardi hit a triple in the early stages of Game 6 (what turned out to be the clinching game).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 12:32 PM

26,122 posts, read 48,737,202 times
Yankees have rebuilt a ferocious lineup of hitters and will be a contender for any number of years. The Fox network will carry the World Series (WS) telecasts and I'm sure they drool at the thought of a NY-LA WS with the two biggest audiences in the nation tuning in. I'm rooting for Houston but a NY-LA WS would be great baseball. NY and LA last played a WS in 1981 when the Dodgers under Tommy LaSorda won it 4-2.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:35 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
yes, a NY-LA would make for good TV, but hate to see Altuve lose - love that guy.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:51 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,359,988 times
This is it; only one team goes to the Fall Classic. I'm hoping the Yankees would do it.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,024,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell

I've never seen a team with eyes looking so defeated, they just looked like they had no fight left. If I was the Houston owner I'd be really POed.
Here with two out in the top of the 9th of Game 7, you'll see the same hangdog expressions of abject defeat in the Yankees dugout.

Quote:

On the other hand I've been enjoying watching the Yankees as they appear to have no quit in them.
Until now. They're gone. Darn fine season by New York, but they just didn't have quite enough to carry them over the hump.

Quote:

Perhaps we'll see an old school Yankees-Dodgers match up?
Not this year, it appears.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,447,467 times
That was an exciting series, and a real treat the Astros had the honor of playing the Yankees to advance.

If anyone questioned home field advantage prior to this series....

Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 AM

18,147 posts, read 25,686,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That was an exciting series, and a real treat the Astros had the honor of playing the Yankees to advance.

Agreed. Both stadiums were rockin' throughout the series!

Old 10-22-2017, 01:58 PM

7,212 posts, read 11,884,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

It was a great series. Everything you could hope a series to be. Great pitching, clutch hits, dynamic (and sometimes not that stellar) fielding and crazy crowds. I wished for a different outcome, but the Yanks were playing with house money and played well with it. I hope the 'Stros can beat Dem Bums.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:00 PM

731 posts, read 717,825 times
Looking forward to a few good years of Yankee baseball. I'd give Sanchez one more year to improve defensively and if not groom him to be a DH. He'd last a lot longer as a DH than a catcher anyway and his bat is his best asset. Cashman made some decent moves but the Ellsbury contract is a killer as his production has been average at best and knowing we have 4 more years at $21 mil sucks.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,608,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
It was a great series. Everything you could hope a series to be. Great pitching, clutch hits, dynamic (and sometimes not that stellar) fielding and crazy crowds. I wished for a different outcome, but the Yanks were playing with house money and played well with it. I hope the 'Stros can beat Dem Bums.

Still proud of the Yanks! I only expected them to win the Wild Card. To actually defeat the Indians and push Houston to a game 7 was crazy. Only minor differences separated winning vs losing, like some opportunities squandered. They will learn from this. My expectations will be much higher for next year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball