Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
All teams have plenty of money. Many choose not to use it.
Plenty relative to what most of us have, but not plenty relative to one another.

There is great disparity in the television money. The Dodgers lead with 200 million dollar annual package. Oakland, Cleveland, San Diego, Minnesota, Atlanta, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Colorado, Milwaukee, Miami and Tampa Bay all have deals which bring in less than 50 million. The distribution of television revenues correlates to the sizes of the markets.

MLB is not the like the NFL where all television revenues are pooled and shared equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 09:58 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Of course some teams have a monetary advantage over others

But, there's still no reason for a salary floor.
It would only hurt teams to force them to spend another $10 or $20 million on a player who would help them win a couple more games a season instead of investing that money into player development, research, scouting, etc...

Forcing teams, especially teams that receive revenue sharing money, to put a certain amount back into the team would be a much better idea than a payroll floor.

Though, I'd certainly be in favor of a greatly increased major league minimum salary (which would, as I've mentioned, increase the payroll floor).

Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Plenty relative to what most of us have, but not plenty relative to one another.

There is great disparity in the television money. The Dodgers lead with 200 million dollar annual package. Oakland, Cleveland, San Diego, Minnesota, Atlanta, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Colorado, Milwaukee, Miami and Tampa Bay all have deals which bring in less than 50 million. The distribution of television revenues correlates to the sizes of the markets.

MLB is not the like the NFL where all television revenues are pooled and shared equally.
If any were in the red as claimed, some would sell for less than prior sale price. Hasn't happened in many decades.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:41 PM

Ozuna dealt too.

Fish now Yelich plus 24 players to be named later.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If any were in the red as claimed, some would sell for less than prior sale price. Hasn't happened in many decades.
Okay, but that none are in the red does not make them equal. If I had 200 million dollars and you had fifty million, neither of us are hurting financially, but I could go on the bigger shopping spree.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Okay, but that none are in the red does not make them equal. If I had 200 million dollars and you had fifty million, neither of us are hurting financially, but I could go on the bigger shopping spree.
You could, but the tightwads would add resale value by spending more, winning more, and deferring the windfall profits until the sale.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:25 PM

653 posts, read 816,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Bankees being Bankees...all about the payroll. LOL get under the salary cap my ass...

As is obvious...If yankees win, they make a crap load of money thus they dont care about going over the cap..a vicious cycle that destroys all but the top payrolls.
There is no salary cap

Old 12-22-2017, 01:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
There is no salary cap
? there is technically although i just read the Yankees (I mean BANKEES) have gone over the salary cap FIFTEEN years IN A ROW.

No, they dont try to buy teams ...not at all

Old 12-22-2017, 04:32 PM

653 posts, read 816,790 times
Quote:
? there is technically although i just read the Yankees (I mean BANKEES) have gone over the salary cap FIFTEEN years IN A ROW.

no there is no salary cap. there is a luxury tax. If teams go over the luxury tax, they pay a tax penalty, but unlike a cap, there is nothing to stop them from going over.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:14 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:

Every team pays their players.

The Yankees are the richest team.

Of course they pay their players more.

Again, they don't get extra diamonds in their World Series ring if they give more money to the owner instead of giving it to the players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball