Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:41 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I heard that Stanton had said no to the Giants and the Cardinals, and would only approve a trade to one of four teams: the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, or Astros. I was bummed that he nixed the Giants, but was hopeful re the Astros. Those four definitely made sense.....all teams that are doing well, and represent the four largest cities in the country.

The link below confirms what I heard yesterday, but the 'click title'.....'Giancarlo Stanton 'inclined' to accept trade to the Yankees'....squares pretty much with what I just heard on television:

Giancarlo Stanton 'inclined' to accept trade to Yankees, Dodgers - NY Daily News

If this comes to fruition, the Astros may have a tougher road to a repeat .

(Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't think 2018 will be a banner year for either the Giants or the A's )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
So....which team does Jeter actually own?? The Marlins or the Yankees. What's the point of buying a team only to completely gut it a few months later??

At least this puts to rest.....FINALLY the ridiculous Harper to the Yankees rumors.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:03 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I'm pleased that Stanton turned down the Giants. He would be of immediate help for a few years, but he comes with a contract that pays another 285 million bucks through his age 38 season.

We are talking about a player who in his 8 years in the majors, has managed to play as many as 145 games in a season only three times. Over the 11 remaining years of his contract, is he more or less likely to improve on that rate of play time as he ages?

Only a club like LA or NY, which can afford to swallow millions being paid to someone who isn't playing, or is playing at a declining talent level over the next eleven seasons, is going to be able to cope with that huge contract.

With Stanton I think it probable that his new team gets four, perhaps five seasons of All Star play, and gets stuck paying 30 million a year for either absenteeism or disappointing performance the other six years.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Time for Red Sox and other AL East pretenders to rebuild.

NYY now have Murderers Row II.

Harper will now end up with 2019 Dodgers, btw.

Yanks need high OBP in 8, 9, 1 to maximize luny 2-3-4 RBI totals.

I see a 400 RBI combo 2-3-4, for 5 seasons.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm pleased that Stanton turned down the Giants. He would be of immediate help for a few years, but he comes with a contract that pays another 285 million bucks through his age 38 season.

We are talking about a player who in his 8 years in the majors, has managed to play as many as 145 games in a season only three times. Over the 11 remaining years of his contract, is he more or less likely to improve on that rate of play time as he ages?

Only a club like LA or NY, which can afford to swallow millions being paid to someone who isn't playing, or is playing at a declining talent level over the next eleven seasons, is going to be able to cope with that huge contract.

With Stanton I think it probable that his new team gets four, perhaps five seasons of All Star play, and gets stuck paying 30 million a year for either absenteeism or disappointing performance the other six years.
Yeah, you're probably right.

The Giants would get a better return on their investment spending the money elsewhere.

Bonds only played over 145 games in 2 of his last 9 seasons....but the current environment is definitely quite different .

Old 12-09-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

SF might get to 4th with Stanton, so I would hope, if a SF fan, they do a long-term rebuild. Going to SF for Stanton = staying with Fish w/o Stanton. A great place to have all Octobers off.

NYY made a great move. They are going to have a terrific 5 year minimum window of opportunity now.

I am a Met fan, who thinks Stanton has yet to peak. He is a much better player, when he peaks, then Harper could ever be. (Not that Harper is not HOF material, btw.)

The correct team, at the correct time, is making a magnificent move in acquiring MLB's most important slugger.

I expect Stanton to break the single season homer mark..at LEAST once. I expect him to have his 500th HR before the age of 33. We are looking at a guy just entering peak production years (28-32) historically.

This is MLB's Wayne Gretzky deal.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:14 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yankees...201008581.html

^^^^^ The Yankees move from 8-1 odds to win the World Series to 6-1 with the Stanton deal.

The Astros and the Indians are also at 6-1.

The Dodgers are still favored at 9-2.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yankees...201008581.html

^^^^^ The Yankees move from 8-1 odds to win the World Series to 6-1 with the Stanton deal.

The Astros and the Indians are also at 6-1.

The Dodgers are still favored at 9-2.

My hunch is NYY are not done. Pitching deal or two will follow, shorter term, of course.

That will leave Astros far behind them.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:35 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
My hunch is NYY are not done. Pitching deal or two will follow, shorter term, of course.

That will leave Astros far behind them.
The BANKees ARE BACK~!!! You can count on 3 things death,taxes and the Bankees will buy a pennant every decade/.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
The BANKees ARE BACK~!!! You can count on 3 things death,taxes and the Bankees will buy a pennant every decade/.

Not this time. The nucleus of the team Stanton is joining was home grown. He is what will put them over the finish line faster. But they had more weapons from minors coming behind Judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball