Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:16 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,905,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
No, characterizing the deal as the Giants mortgaging their future for a very slim shot at the wild card in 2018, and then arguing with me about how they are being reasonable in going for it in 2018.....that was what I was referencing. Of course I think that you already understood this and are now trying to disown it.
It's you trying to change the discussion.

Or I'm giving you too much credit for your intellect.

They are going for it this year. That may be right, it may be "wrong".

But that has nothing to do with using last year's performance as a guage - which is what I'm talking issue with.

The projections for *this year* support the idea of going for it.
Last year's record doesn't. But last year's record doesn't really matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 06:49 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
But last year's record doesn't really matter
Of course it matters. Are not the projections the product of examining previous performance? Aren't the Giants' statistics from last season part of the database employed in making the projections? How could it not matter?

Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Of course it matters. Are not the projections the product of examining previous performance? Aren't the Giants' statistics from last season part of the database employed in making the projections? How could it not matter?
No.
Last year's win-loss record is not factored into this year's individual player projections which are then used to determine this year's projected team win-loss record.

I thought you said you were the one who knew about projections while I didn't.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
No.
Last year's win-loss record is not factored into this year's individual player projections which are then used to determine this year's projected team win-loss record.
Well, if you would read more carefully, you would note that I didn't say last year's won-loss record was part of the database, I wrote that the statistics compiled by the 2017 Giants, the statistics which are responsible for their won-lost record, are certainly part of the database.

So what now? Are you going to try and pretend that a team's won loss record is some independent entity with no relationship to the statistics compiled by the members of the team?

Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Well, if you would read more carefully, you would note that I didn't say last year's won-loss record was part of the database, I wrote that the statistics compiled by the 2017 Giants, the statistics which are responsible for their won-lost record, are certainly part of the database.

So what now? Are you going to try and pretend that a team's won loss record is some independent entity with no relationship to the statistics compiled by the members of the team?
Do you remember how this conversation started?

Or are you just, what was it?
Quote:
now trying to disown it.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Do you remember how this conversation started?

Or are you just, what was it?
No idea what you are trying to say here.

I am not disowning anything other than words you are trying to assign to me, which anyone who can read, may easily see I did not write.

At this point I am unable to tell if it is a matter of your deliberately not understanding, understanding but pretending that you don't, or actual non understanding on your part.

Last edited by Grandstander; 01-24-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
No idea what you are trying to say here.

I am not disowning anything other than words you are trying to assign to me, which anyone who can read, may easily see I did not write.

At this point I am unable to tell if it is a matter of your deliberately not understanding, understanding but pretending that you don't, or actual non understanding on your part.
I feel the same about you.
And you refuse to answer any questions, such as how many wins you think the Giants will have in 2018, which might help to clarify your position.

I don't know why you'd do that so I'm left to assume that you know answering that question would expose statements like these
Quote:
They won 64 games in 2017 and would need to improve by 25 wins or more to have a shot at the wild card in 2018. Longoria and McCutchen do not constitute a 25 win improvement, more like five or six more wins.
Quote:
"If we add a couple of players who are likely (not certainly) to increase us from 64 wins to 70 or 71 wins
as as ridiculous as they seem.

The Giants, likely , only had to improve by a few games (nowhere near the 25 that you keep mentioning) this year to have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. Longoria and McCutchen move them in that direction.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I feel the same about you.
That being the case, there seems little point in sustaining this further.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
That being the case, there seems little point in sustaining this further.
Being the case that you wont clarify your position, you're probably right,

Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Being the case that you wont clarify your position, you're probably right,
Who are you talking to? A day has passed, so by your logic today I'm a "completely different" poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball