Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 11:59 AM

9,715 posts, read 7,402,496 times

Advertisements

Won 2 of 3 against both the Mariners and Astros, so they finish the week only a game back of the Astros in the division, and with the Mariners getting swept by the Dodgers over the weekend, they've given themselves some breathing room in the Wild Card race, but they are gunning for the Astros in the division. Home stand finishes up with 3 games against the Rangers beginning Monday, and then they'll head on the road for 4 games in Minneapolis, MN against the Twins beginning on Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:54 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,572,886 times
Another magical season out of nowhere, just like 2012 (2000 wasn't that unexpected). I just hope they can make it out of the division series, if they make it there.

Blake Treinen for Cy Young!

Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,032,368 times
The A's are back in a tie for first in the AL West. The offense wasn't fooled by Bartolo Colon's slop, 7 runs on 10 hits and a walk on their way to a 9-0 win. A's starter Mike Fiers, who has been sensational since coming from the Tigers, pitched 7 innings of 1 hit shutout ball while fanning 8. Rookie centerfielder Ramon Laureano hit his first and second ML home runs. Kris Davis had a monster shot which banged off the window of the restaurant above at the top of the lower deck.

Meanwhile Houston went down to Seattle 7-4. The Mariners remain 3.5 games back for the wild card.

Colon is looking more and more like Luca Brasi.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:02 AM

9,715 posts, read 7,402,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I’m thinking somewhere between 78-86 wins when it’s all said and done Grandstander. Not a playoff team, but if they can stay in the race until the middle to end of September I’ll take that from them.

Knock on wood, but luckily it turns out we were both wrong here! They'd have to totally go in the tank to NOT finish with fewer than 86 wins. At least it'll be past Mid September staying in the playoff race, even if they do go in the tank.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Knock on wood, but luckily it turns out we were both wrong here! They'd have to totally go in the tank to NOT finish with fewer than 86 wins. At least it'll be past Mid September staying in the playoff race, even if they do go in the tank.
They started coming together last season, you could see the young talent in the two Matts and for the first time in quite awhile, you could actually identify regulars at the positions whereas before it was difficult to distinguish the starters from the backups. I expected the team to take a step forward this year, but instead they have taken a leap.

The same may be said of Atlanta and Philadelphia. Both had been rebuilding, but they seem ahead of the expected schedule of improvement.

I think I'm more impressed with this team than any of their others. It has become far tougher for Billy Beane to gain any sort of edge on the competition because A) Everyone now knows what used to be known only by Beane. B) The change in the free agent compensation rule ended Beane's ability to pile up extra talent in the draft. And still he has figured out a way to field a competitive team.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:17 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,572,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

I can't believe he's still in the MLB. He had a nice renaissance with the A's and Mets, but now on his third season of being terrible and I'm not sure how he's a better option compared to a AAA arm, even for a team like the Rangers.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I can't believe he's still in the MLB. He had a nice renaissance with the A's and Mets, but now on his third season of being terrible and I'm not sure how he's a better option compared to a AAA arm, even for a team like the Rangers.
The Rangers are 13th out of 15 AL teams in total ERA, but their starters are dead last with a 5.47 ERA. They get knocked out of the games so early that Colon is leading the team with 140 innings pitched. Of the 11 pitchers who have started games for Texas this season, the lowest ERA belongs to Doug Fister at 4.50.

Colon is still out there because someone has to pitch the innings and he is their best innings eater.

Last edited by Grandstander; 08-21-2018 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 12:18 AM

33,074 posts, read 12,328,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The A's are back in a tie for first in the AL West. The offense wasn't fooled by Bartolo Colon's slop, 7 runs on 10 hits and a walk on their way to a 9-0 win. A's starter Mike Fiers, who has been sensational since coming from the Tigers, pitched 7 innings of 1 hit shutout ball while fanning 8. Rookie centerfielder Ramon Laureano hit his first and second ML home runs. Kris Davis had a monster shot which banged off the window of the restaurant above at the top of the lower deck.

Meanwhile Houston went down to Seattle 7-4. The Mariners remain 3.5 games back for the wild card.

While in Atlanta, I attended the June 5th game last year at the new SunTrust Park. This was during Colon's stint with the Braves last year. Colon looked terrible. The Phillies knocked him out in the 4th inning, having given up 5 runs and leaving one man on. The fans were not happy. The next pitcher gave up a home run, to put the Braves behind 7-0, and they lost 11-4 to the Phillies (the team with the worst record in baseball at the time).

Old 08-22-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

While in Atlanta, I attended the June 5th game last year at the new SunTrust Park.
What did you think of the new ballpark?

Old 08-22-2018, 06:19 AM

Another stellar starting performance, this time from Brett Anderson, who like Fiers the night before, went seven innings of one hit, shutout ball. The A's have outscored the Rangers 15-0 in the first two games of this series. Kris Davis hit his 38th home run which triggered a crowd "MVP! MVP!" chant from the stands. While Davis isn't the AL's MVP at the moment, how long has it been since such a chant for anyone was heard in the Coliseum?

Houston beat the Mariners 3-2, winning a 1 run game for a change, so the A's and Astros remain tied, while Seattle slips to 4.5 games back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball