U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 AM

5,158 posts, read 8,289,245 times
Default Longest time between championships?

Is the Cubs' 100 years without a championship the longest ever for any sports franchise? I had never thought of it in those terms before, but now that you raise the question, Beowulf, I gotta feel for Cub fans more than ever, because, when it comes to major professional sports in North America, the answer is yes.

It would be a prodigious task to research every sports league at every level--amateur, professional, school, college, etc.--but I did look up a couple of things on Wikipedia, regarding top-level pro sports. The one international pro sport I checked out was soccer. According to Wiki, the first professional league was formed in England in 1888, and the International Association that today governs Association Football, the World Cup, etc., was formed in 1904, so it's at least possible that some team in some futbol league in some country somewhere has gone that long without winning its national championship, because professional competition has been around more than 100 years, but I didn't go as far as to look up professional championships for every team in every league in the world. Yeah, call me lazy.

As for North America, I already knew that the NFL was formed in the '20's, and the NBA in the '40's. I looked up the NHL in Wiki, and discovered that the league was formed in 1917. Therefore, when it comes to major sports at the major league level in North America, in the three sports besides baseball no team could have gone as long as 100 years between championships, because none of these sports has even had major league play for that long, so the Cubs hold the record.

Now you REALLY gotta feel for them. I guess if the Cubs end up having a shot this year, and your own team is out of contention, you pretty much have to pull for them. What other choice would any halfway decent person have?

Last edited by ogre; 04-03-2008 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 AM

29,910 posts, read 5,120,020 times
i think the red sox will win the AL east
the tigers the AL central
the Angels the AL west

The Mets for the NL east
The Cubs for the NL central
The Rockies for the NL west

how can people seriously say the BRAVES are going to win the world series? ooooooooh, big wup we signed Tom Glavine, so what?? he's like 41 years old and can't even hit 85 on his fastball anymore.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM

5,413 posts, read 10,166,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Is the Cubs' 100 years without a championship the longest ever for any sports franchise? I had never thought of it in those terms before, but now that you raise the question, Beowulf, I gotta feel for Cub fans more than ever, because, when it comes to major professional sports in North America, the answer is yes.

It would be a prodigious task to research every sports league at every level--amateur, professional, school, college, etc.--but I did look up a couple of things on Wikipedia, regarding top-level pro sports. The one international pro sport I checked out was soccer. According to Wiki, the first professional league was formed in England in 1888, and the International Association that today governs Association Football, the World Cup, etc., was formed in 1904, so it's at least possible that some team in some futbol league in some country somewhere has gone that long without winning its national championship, because professional competition has been around more than 100 years, but I didn't go as far as to look up professional championships for every team in every league in the world. Yeah, call me lazy.

As for North America, I already knew that the NFL was formed in the '20's, and the NBA in the '40's. I looked up the NHL in Wiki, and discovered that the league was formed in 1917. Therefore, when it comes to major sports at the major league level in North America, in the three sports besides baseball no team could have gone as long as 100 years between championships, because none of these sports has even had major league play for that long, so the Cubs hold the record.

Now you REALLY gotta feel for them. I guess if the Cubs end up having a shot this year, and your own team is out of contention, you pretty much have to pull for them. What other choice would any halfway decent person have?
Lazy! j/k I was only thinking in the 4 major sports (MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL). I'm pretty sure the Cubs have the longest drought in those sports. But in other worldwide team sports, there might be a team that hasn't won in over 100 years.

Yes, I think the Cubs would be the sentimental favorite if they somehow got into the WS, kind of like how the Red Sox were in 2004.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 AM

1,828 posts, read 2,232,924 times
the yankees are aging and pitching-short, and this will be the year they fade to the 85-90 wins and out tof the playoffs area.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:23 PM

7,317 posts, read 3,452,818 times
Ok I'll bite,

I'm a Red Sox fan so I'll go with the homer pick and have them win the the AL east.

The Indians edge out Detroit for the central crown.

Seattle takes the west, mostly because Anaheim's starting pitching is banged up.

The Yanks take the wild card, and hard luck Detroit finishes with the 4th best record in the AL and misses the playoffs.

The Indians beat the Yankees

The Sox beat Seattle

The Indians beat the Sox

In the NL

The Mets edge out both the Phillies and the Braves and take the east.

The Cubbies win the central going away.

The west will be the most competitive division with 4 teams fighting it out in September. In the end San Diego and there strong starting pitching will win it.

Because the west was so competitive, no team will win 90 games, therefore the Braves edge out the Phillies to take the wild card.

The Cubs beat the Braves

The Padres beat the Mets

The Cubs beat the padres, yeah I said it the Cubs will go too the World Series

The Indians win in 6.

Sorry Cubs fans.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 PM

The Yankees are 2-1! Now if only the offense can get going.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,838,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Ok I'll bite,

I'm a Red Sox fan so I'll go with the homer pick and have them win the the AL east.

The Indians edge out Detroit for the central crown.

Seattle takes the west, mostly because Anaheim's starting pitching is banged up.

The Yanks take the wild card, and hard luck Detroit finishes with the 4th best record in the AL and misses the playoffs.

The Indians beat the Yankees

The Sox beat Seattle

The Indians beat the Sox

In the NL

The Mets edge out both the Phillies and the Braves and take the east.

The Cubbies win the central going away.

The west will be the most competitive division with 4 teams fighting it out in September. In the end San Diego and there strong starting pitching will win it.

Because the west was so competitive, no team will win 90 games, therefore the Braves edge out the Phillies to take the wild card.

The Cubs beat the Braves

The Padres beat the Mets

The Cubs beat the padres, yeah I said it the Cubs will go too the World Series

The Indians win in 6.

Sorry Cubs fans.
I was right there with ya til the end.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:37 PM

5,158 posts, read 8,289,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Lazy! j/k I was only thinking in the 4 major sports (MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL). I'm pretty sure the Cubs have the longest drought in those sports. But in other worldwide team sports, there might be a team that hasn't won in over 100 years.

Yes, I think the Cubs would be the sentimental favorite if they somehow got into the WS, kind of like how the Red Sox were in 2004.
I know my earlier post about whether the Cubs had gone the longest was kind of long, but buried in there was the answer. I'll try to put it succinctly: The Cubs have gone the longest since their last championship. You don't have to be "pretty sure" about this, at least not if you're thinking only of North American major league sports--MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL. NHL formed in 1917, NFL in 1920, and the NBA in, not sure the exact year, but it was the mid to late '40's. The other leagues haven't even existed for as long as it's been since the Cubbies' last Series championship, so the Cubs HAVE gone the longest. Now, if you're talking about how long it's been since the Bombay Cobras were champions of the Sri Lankan/Western Indian Field Hockey League, well, anyone who wants to check into all the world's sports leagues at this level, feel free, but if it's all the same, I think I'll stick to Beowulf's parameters of the four major North American sports.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I know my earlier post about whether the Cubs had gone the longest was kind of long, but buried in there was the answer. I'll try to put it succinctly: The Cubs have gone the longest since their last championship. You don't have to be "pretty sure" about this, at least not if you're thinking only of North American major league sports--MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL. NHL formed in 1917, NFL in 1920, and the NBA in, not sure the exact year, but it was the mid to late '40's. The other leagues haven't even existed for as long as it's been since the Cubbies' last Series championship, so the Cubs HAVE gone the longest. Now, if you're talking about how long it's been since the Bombay Cobras were champions of the Sri Lankan/Western Indian Field Hockey League, well, anyone who wants to check into all the world's sports leagues at this level, feel free, but if it's all the same, I think I'll stick to Beowulf's parameters of the four major North American sports.
I'll take the North American definition. Therefore, the Cubs are North America's (and possibly the world's) saddest sports team! For the Red Sox, their drought was blamed on the Curse of the Bambino (the Babe Ruth trade/sale). What is the "curse" on the Cubs?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,838,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I'll take the North American definition. Therefore, the Cubs are North America's (and possibly the world's) saddest sports team! For the Red Sox, their drought was blamed on the Curse of the Bambino (the Babe Ruth trade/sale). What is the "curse" on the Cubs?
The billy goat, the black cat, Bartman etc. There are more than a few over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball