Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times

Advertisements

I don't listen to anything that ESPNY says. As far as they are concerned, only two cities exist in baseball: Boston and New York. And occasionally Chicago and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
I can's stand ESPN. They couldn't be more irrelevant out in the real world.

The Royals could win the World Series, and those big-market dweebs would still find a way to put Boston or New York as the lead story.

GO ROYALS!!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:13 PM

280 posts, read 1,222,068 times
Talking Don't go by ESPN, what do they know...

The Yankees are going to win the WS in 2008, whether they wait until last minute like they sometimes do or not, its going to happen, it will be Ring 27 for my Yankee Boys, and I can't wait!!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
The billy goat, the black cat, Bartman etc. There are more than a few over the years.
What I meant was what started the curse? With the Red Sox, it was when they sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Then they showed the aftermath of being cursed, such as Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, Aaron Boone, until 2004. What about w/ the Cubs? Steve Bartman is an aftermath of whatever curse the Cubs have. I'm not familiar w/ the billy goat and black cat.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue64 View Post
The Yankees are going to win the WS in 2008, whether they wait until last minute like they sometimes do or not, its going to happen, it will be Ring 27 for my Yankee Boys, and I can't wait!!
They're not your Yankees. They're mine!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:45 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
What I meant was what started the curse? With the Red Sox, it was when they sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Then they showed the aftermath of being cursed, such as Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, Aaron Boone, until 2004. What about w/ the Cubs? Steve Bartman is an aftermath of whatever curse the Cubs have. I'm not familiar w/ the billy goat and black cat.
Here's a link to a site that recounts some of the Cubs' more notable misfortunes:

Chicago Cubs Legendary Curses: The Black Cat, The Goat and Steve Bartman Still Torture Cubs Fans (http://baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_chicago_cubs_curse_continues - broken link)

Before checking into this, I think I had vaguely recalled hearing something about a black cat, but never had known the details. Seems a black cat got onto the field and slunk around in front of the Cubs' dugout during a crucial game when they had a late-season collapse in '69, after leading their division by what had seemed like a comfortable margin.

The billy goat story involves a man who bought two tickets to a World Series game at Wrigley Field in 1945, and took his pet goat with him to occupy the second seat. They actually let the man into the park with the goat, but made him leave during the game. The story goes that the man was heard to say that the Cubs would never again win the World Series. They have not even been in the Series since.

Does it make anyone wonder?

Last edited by ogre; 04-04-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times
Thanks Ogre, you saved me a lot of typing.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:56 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Personally, I'd like an all-Texas World Series, but you know ESPN won't go for that. If there are two or three really good players who are making headlines, for example, then something like that would make a great story. But then again, the Astros will be back in the World Series before the Rangers even get back to the playoffs!!

It's a shame that ESPN does play its favorites with New York teams. My predictions will remain as they are. As for ESPN's predictions, I don't buy too much of it, anyway. The Angels and Red Sox have a great chance in the American League, but don't count out the Indians or the Tigers. And don't laugh -- the Royals are going to be better this year. They won't win the Central right now, but they've improved enough to pose problems for other teams. In the National League, it could be a dogfight in the East with the Phillies, Mets, and even the Braves. I still think the Dodgers will be the surprise team in the West, but the D-backs and Rockies will be right there in the hunt, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the Padres emerge from all of them. Every year, there's always somebody you never expect to make waves.

And in the NL Central, I believe it's up for grabs, but the way the Brewers have rebuilt their farm system, they are due for something. The Astros and Cardinals can't be ruled out, either, but both teams have issues with starting pitching and they aren't what they were two years ago. And finally, the Cubs have a good team on paper along with a great manager in Lou Piniella, who has earned a reputation of turning losers into winners. That does not mean, however, that the curse ends at 100 years, and any Cubs fan that thinks "this is the year" is only kidding themselves. ESPN is just vigorously overhyping the Flubs. You watch. They may contend and, yes, maybe even win the NL Central. That's certainly a possibility. But when the playoffs come around, if they even get there, they'll find a new way to choke and get eliminated. They could choke before the regular season ends. They're still the Flubs.

So, with ESPN, it's all speculation and hype. The real teams to watch are the surprise teams (I know it's early, but look at the Nationals' fast start). You always have that.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Here's a link to a site that recounts some of the Cubs' more notable misfortunes:

Chicago Cubs Legendary Curses: The Black Cat, The Goat and Steve Bartman Still Torture Cubs Fans (http://baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_chicago_cubs_curse_continues - broken link)

Before checking into this, I think I had vaguely recalled hearing something about a black cat, but never had known the details. Seems a black cat got onto the field and slunk around in front of the Cubs' dugout during a crucial game when they had a late-season collapse in '69, after leading their division by what had seemed like a comfortable margin.

The billy goat story involves a man who bought two tickets to a World Series game at Wrigley Field in 1945, and took his pet goat with him to occupy the second seat. They actually let the man into the park with the goat, but made him leave during the game. The story goes that the man was heard to say that the Cubs would never again win the World Series. They have not even been in the Series since.

Does it make anyone wonder?
Thanks, that is good info. So there wasn't a curse in the early 1900s like there was w/ the Red Sox, but a cumulation of events through the past century. I'd rep you again, but C-D won't let me.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:42 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Personally, I'd like an all-Texas World Series, but you know ESPN won't go for that. If there are two or three really good players who are making headlines, for example, then something like that would make a great story. But then again, the Astros will be back in the World Series before the Rangers even get back to the playoffs!!

It's a shame that ESPN does play its favorites with New York teams. My predictions will remain as they are. As for ESPN's predictions, I don't buy too much of it, anyway. The Angels and Red Sox have a great chance in the American League, but don't count out the Indians or the Tigers. And don't laugh -- the Royals are going to be better this year. They won't win the Central right now, but they've improved enough to pose problems for other teams. In the National League, it could be a dogfight in the East with the Phillies, Mets, and even the Braves. I still think the Dodgers will be the surprise team in the West, but the D-backs and Rockies will be right there in the hunt, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the Padres emerge from all of them. Every year, there's always somebody you never expect to make waves.

And in the NL Central, I believe it's up for grabs, but the way the Brewers have rebuilt their farm system, they are due for something. The Astros and Cardinals can't be ruled out, either, but both teams have issues with starting pitching and they aren't what they were two years ago. And finally, the Cubs have a good team on paper along with a great manager in Lou Piniella, who has earned a reputation of turning losers into winners. That does not mean, however, that the curse ends at 100 years, and any Cubs fan that thinks "this is the year" is only kidding themselves. ESPN is just vigorously overhyping the Flubs. You watch. They may contend and, yes, maybe even win the NL Central. That's certainly a possibility. But when the playoffs come around, if they even get there, they'll find a new way to choke and get eliminated. They could choke before the regular season ends. They're still the Flubs.

So, with ESPN, it's all speculation and hype. The real teams to watch are the surprise teams (I know it's early, but look at the Nationals' fast start). You always have that.
i agree, the Nats look a lot better this year, and i wouldnt be suprised if they finish at .500 this year or maybe even slighty better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball