Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

What do you prefer, not just watching or listening to a baseball game, but a more in depth look at a baseball game. Do you like the more story telling, descriptive, stats given and sounds of the stadium and crack of the bat on radio or do you like the more jovial joking around, fans sitting in the stadium, more in game in screen commercials and more available stats and diagrams of TV. They each have their strength and I'm sure if you had your choice of a great like Bob Uecker on radio or a dullard like Darrin Jackson of the white sox i'm sure it would be an easy choice(Steve stone is pretty good).

I didn't know this but MLB.com has the option to watch a game on MLB.TV and then have the radio overlay, this is something baseball fan's all over the country have been asking for especially in cities like Milwaukee who have a legend for a radio voice, the same could be said for San Francisco Giants fans. So now when I watch out of market MLB games, I go to radio overlay, baseball just sounds better on the radio.

So what do you prefer? radio, TV or Radio overlay with radio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 08:34 PM

Plus I prefer radio over TV is I am always doing something around the house or garage and I can still do stuff and pay attention to the game, BTW I have done a 180 on New York's John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman. Maybe it's because I have been listening to them for so long that it reminds me of when I was a kid.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:14 PM

Your 2017 MLB local broadcaster rankings

Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 AM

484 posts, read 467,791 times
I will almost always take the radio call. I grew up wanting to be a broadcaster, specifically a sportscaster, and while my life took a detour into sportswriting, baseball on the radio is something I've always enjoyed and always will.
I will listen to just about any broadcast, although there are some teams' calls I prefer far more than others.
If the Cubs, my favorite team, are in a nationally televised game, I often will mute the TV call and listen to the Cubs radio broadcast. I do for every postseason game; might have listened to Joe Buck for maybe two innings of the World Series. As an aside, this is something that amuses me when people profess to love their local radio broadcasters but then proceed to incessantly complain about TV announcers being biased against their team. Not that hard to get a radio or listen via computer, mute the TV and listen to broadcasters who want the same outcome you do.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:14 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Radio for sure

I love listening to baseball on the radio. Sometimes even more than going to a game

Old 07-30-2018, 10:46 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
TV with radio, though I've never had it. Most of my life I just had radio, but that radio brought me Vin Scully, Don Drysdale, and some other decent announcers.

Now I have TV but no radio. I do like being able to see the game, but I don't have three hours to spend in front of the television - and if you're not watching, you'll miss something. I usually watch the game while I use the treadmill, and I do a lot of fast-forwarding.

I'd like to hear the game called on the radio, but also have the option of going to the screen to see the good parts. We can't get decent radio reception in our house, though.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:21 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Radio.. For everything.. It's just so much more descriptive.. If you can match it up, radio broadcast with TV is good. I used to do that back in the Sonny, Sam and Frank heyday of the Redskins.

but, any sporting event I think is better listening to the radio call vs the TV call and that is just a factor of how much more descriptive they have to be since, in theory at least, they have to paint a broader picture of the events since you can't see them.

NASCAR is fun as hell to listen to on the radio.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:56 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I like both and it depends on what I am doing to establish preference. If I'm busy, the radio provides a better means of following the game than those periodic peeks at the TV. If I have nothing else going on, I'll want to see the game.

The identity of the announcers also makes a difference. Jon Miller is much better on TV than on the radio because on the latter, the man cannot shut up for a second. He feels compelled to fill every possible second of dead air with endless stories about things which have nothing to do with the game in front of him.

Sometimes the radio simply makes for a greater emotional impact. There is a distinct difference between listening to a recording of Russ Hodges calling Bobby Thompson's famous home run (Hodges was doing radio) and seeing that call paired with the film of the event. The former generates an electric charge, the latter does not.

One of my favorite baseball experiences was listening to a Giants game, called by a very young Al Michaels in 1974. It was September and the Giants were well out of the pennant race as they played the Dodger in LA. Ron Bryant started for SF and was hammered right away, four hits, three walks, three runs, leaving the bases loaded when he was lifted without retiring a single Dodger. In long relief, making his ML debut, came the never-heard-of-him John Montefusco to mop up. He got a groundout which scored a run, and then struck out the next two hitters to end the trouble. Montefusco pitched the rest of the way, getting all 27 outs but not a complete game. He was touched for just one run on his own and meanwhile SF muscled up and pushed 9 runs across.

I'm not sure why, but it was really exciting to listen to this rookie mowing down the LA batters. Michaels spent some time making fun of Montefusco's name, and in the process came up with the nickname which would follow John the rest of his career...The Count of Montefusco.

Sometimes when I remember that game, I remember it as though I had seen it....that is how involved Michaels got listeners with the broadcast.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It depends on who is doing it that day. I cannot stand our regular play-by-play guy, Dave Sims. When he is on I prefer radio with Rick Rizzs. When Aaron Goldsmith is doing play-by-play I enjoy TV more, but I really don't decide based on that, it's just a matter of whether I'm in the house or outside. You cant really watch TV with the radio sound on any more, because of the delay they don't match up.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:22 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Radio broadcasters are far more enjoyable. I know some people like to watch a game on mute but I've found the two broadcast not to be in sync.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball