Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:47 AM

938 posts, read 446,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Discontinue the DH! YES! But if they do that, plus limit the number of pitchers to 12, then 26 players on the roster should be enough.
I suggested the extra sixty players to entice the union to get rid of the DH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,883 times
Hate the DH. Do not ever want to see it in the NL, but would bet we do see it sooner than later. I would really miss the strategy around pitcher and pinch hitter usage that is eliminated with the DH.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:16 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Sources: MLB and players discussing rule changes that could alter game

The issues being discussed are:

I do not know what is meant by "universal designated hitter" unless they are referring to the rule being adopted by the NL as well.

The three batter minimum rule will be controversial since it will cut into the value of...and possibly eliminate, clubs carrying Loogies. (Left handed one out guy) Obviously the idea is to speed up the pace of the game by limiting pitching changes, which would mean that managers would have to come up with new strategies since they no longer have the luxury of a Loogie.

Lowering the mound should help in reducing strikeouts since the angle of incoming pitches will be less severe.

The "draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams" is clearly a proposal designed to discourage "tanking."

It is encouraging that the two sides have agreed to meet now to discuss these things. The existing Basic Agreement expires in 2021, so the more issues they have ironed out in advance, the less likely a labor dispute or strike will be.
I am for the three batter minimum, and the timed pitch count. However, limits need to be place on batters stepping out of the box, and pitchers stepping off the mound. Also, once a batter fouls off 2 pitches with a 2 strike count on him- another foul and he's out. Finally, make a mark to limit how far base runners can take a lead off of first base. Pitchers will then NOT be allowed to throw over- period.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Also, once a batter fouls off 2 pitches with a 2 strike count on him- another foul and he's out.
Strikeouts are already through the roof, the above would push them through the stratosphere. Is that what you wish to see?

Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
Also, once a batter fouls off 2 pitches with a 2 strike count on him- another foul and he's out.

I strongly agree on this one.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Strikeouts are already through the roof, the above would push them through the stratosphere. Is that what you wish to see?
Seriously. That’s a huge handicap for batters. It’s a skill that shouldn’t be marginalized IMO.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
Quote:
That is the hitters problem. Tony Gwynn nor Hank Aaron had major strikeout issues. Learn to hit better, and stop swinging for the fences. I'm tired of 4 hour games.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
Learn to hit better, and stop swinging for the fences. I'm tired of 4 hour games.
There is cause and effect everywhere. Among the reasons that we have so many strikeouts is that complex defensive shifting has made putting the ball into play less rewarding. Hitters are being taught that you can overcome defensive shifting by putting the ball into the air, so that is what they are doing. They are swinging for the fences because it is currently the most rewarding thing to do.

And of course the larger reason that there are so many strikeouts is that there are now so many guys dealing 95 mph plus gas, and being used in such a way that they can go all out on every pitch. Neither Aaron nor Robinson ever faced anything like today's conditions, if they had, they would have had to adapt their game to succeed.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
That is the hitters problem. Tony Gwynn nor Hank Aaron had major strikeout issues. Learn to hit better, and stop swinging for the fences. I'm tired of 4 hour games.
Tony Gwynn was a masterful 2 strike hitter, and fouled off many, many pitches to get “his” pitch. That’s part of why his Ks were so low!

That rule would not penalize the high strikeout players swinging for the fences. It would penalize the professional hitters who can battle the pitcher to get a hit.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:14 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,922 times
Quote:
I am for the three batter minimum, and the timed pitch count. However, limits need to be place on batters stepping out of the box, and pitchers stepping off the mound. Also, once a batter fouls off 2 pitches with a 2 strike count on him- another foul and he's out. Finally, make a mark to limit how far base runners can take a lead off of first base. Pitchers will then NOT be allowed to throw over- period.
I’m okay with limits to stepping out of the batter’s box and off the mound, but the limits need to be carefully thought out.

I am not at all in favor of the “foul with 2 strikes and you’re out” or “baserunner throw over or lead” ideas.

There are significant limits to how much I’m willing to sacrifice things for the sake of game speed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball