Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 08:04 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,468,918 times

Advertisements

Back in first place. They really went "downhill" didn't they??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Back in first place. They really went "downhill" didn't they??
Well, they struggled to win three out of four from the Marlins, of all teams, last week, and yesterday was mainly a pitching duel. It's great to see the bullpen stepping up, but they leave too many men on base inning after inning. They stranded 14 and were 0 for 9 with runners in scoring position yesterday. That's not how you stay on top of the division.

They've got a lot of talent, but they're going to have to get better about not stranding so many baserunners, so that it doesn't continually come down to these walk-off situations, as entertaining as they are.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:59 AM

381 posts, read 349,356 times
So many haters starting to hate so early.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:01 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Well, they struggled to win three out of four from the Marlins, of all teams, last week, and yesterday was mainly a pitching duel. It's great to see the bullpen stepping up, but they leave too many men on base inning after inning. They stranded 14 and were 0 for 9 with runners in scoring position yesterday. That's not how you stay on top of the division.

They've got a lot of talent, but they're going to have to get better about not stranding so many baserunners, so that it doesn't continually come down to these walk-off situations, as entertaining as they are.
162 games encompasses all sorts of crazy stretches, even for good teams. The main thing is they are finding ways to get wins. I guessed 93 wins before the season started and I expect them to be around that pace by the end of the year. Best offense in baseball so far and the pitching is getting tighter too.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 AM

484 posts, read 467,681 times
Quote:
It doesn't help when your first 9 games are on the road to start....against 2 playoff teams from last year as well!
Agree ... that said, I'll take them opening on the road every year. I'd rather have more home games backloaded, not to mention having one of the longest trips out of the way at the beginning.
24-9 since April 10 and the best record in the league in that span. This is the team we expected.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:30 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Going to be a long hard year for the Chicago Cubs. They made almost no moves this off season and expect to be decent is not going to work. Even if they fired everybody and started rebuilding it'll be a number of years, before they are back in the playoffs.
Nothing like predicting the demise of a baseball team in the first week of April. I see why we haven’t heard from you in awhile now. How does crow taste? Chickeny?

Old 09-21-2019, 10:42 PM

9 posts, read 6,049 times
Now that the cubs are probably going to miss the playoffs again, is Joe Maddon fired? I think he's fired at the end of the year.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by privatedata1 View Post
Now that the cubs are probably going to miss the playoffs again, is Joe Maddon fired? I think he's fired at the end of the year.
He was a lame duck the whole season, last year of his contract, ownership wouldn't renew. I figured barring an NLCS/World Series run he was done and now there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be else where next year. Also, this will probably be just like the Dusty Baker situation in Washington, they won't "fire" him per say, they'll just not renew his contract.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
He was a lame duck the whole season, last year of his contract, ownership wouldn't renew. I figured barring an NLCS/World Series run he was done and now there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be else where next year. Also, this will probably be just like the Dusty Baker situation in Washington, they won't "fire" him per say, they'll just not renew his contract.
Maddon's being mentioned for the San Diego managerial job. I predict he'll go there after the season.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Farhan Zaidi will be looking for a progressive minded manager to replace Bruce Bochy, perhaps Maddon may wind up in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball